Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

28 minutes ago, Reefoholic said:

Literally drooling at work. Looking SWEET AF!

Maybe I should pay a home visit and grab some corals................................  

I've not fragged up in a while, but I've had to trim back a little faster these days.

Something that struck me as a possible error on my part is that Homewrecker is only in about 170 par right now. Might explain the slow growth, either that or it was close to a nub when I bought it!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I've not fragged up in a while, but I've had to trim back a little faster these days.

Something that struck me as a possible error on my part is that Homewrecker is only in about 170 par right now. Might explain the slow growth, either that or it was close to a nub when I bought it!

From Feb to May to now, I think your corals seem to be growing fast. Great colors as well. I am honestly considering ditching the LEDs and using the MH/T5 combo fixture I have...

9 minutes ago, Reefoholic said:

From Feb to May to now, I think your corals seem to be growing fast. Great colors as well. I am honestly considering ditching the LEDs and using the MH/T5 combo fixture I have...

I guess. I always see growth in other tanks and get "greener on the other side" symptoms. I am happy with the colors. I had a hard time with polyp extension for a while, but the additional MP10 on the front of the tank fixed that issue. It cluttered up the clean aesthetic I was shooting for, but function follows form in this case I guess. 

If my place could handle the heat, I would definitely go for T5/MH. 

LED's have been able to provide me with the energy savings, growth, and low heat output, that they are the best option for me personally. My electric bill was creeping upwards of $300 in the summers due to running my AC's at tops all summer for my dogs. I recently signed up for a program through Dominion that keeps my bill at a set cost all year round. Since then, I've been blasting my AC's, and could probably go back to T5's with no problems, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it! 

• 1 month later...

Still kicking! I have been lucky enough to have this tank spotlighted a few times over the past few months, TOTM for June here at WAMAS, and most recently July's TOTM over at Nano-Reef. There's some more happening, but I'll update that as it comes/I'm allowed to! Life has also picked up, and work and personal have been rewarding, but so busy. As a result, the tank has, well, boomed! 

Sans a few algae patches, auto pilot has been good to the system. There's been tremendously fast growth, and I've trimmed some stuff back, and even added a few pieces, if you can believe that!

Anyways, I know this is what you folks really want, so here are the photos:

Front & Center on this bad boy is the ARC Master Yoda. Right above it is the RR Pink Floyd, and to the right, a new frag of Battle Corals Bubble Bath Unicorn

48351587277_8f3e85415e_h.jpg

Right above the BC Bubble Bath Unicorn is a Bali Shortcake. The person I got it from was having trouble getting it to color up. And while I've certainly pulled some significantly brighter green tips, I'm thinking it needs to grow a bit before I can pull some more reds vs pinks out of it

48351455381_26f9aad859_h.jpg

These yellow skirted zoanthids are Jason Fox Acid Reflux. They are pretty pricey, and they seem to be super happy in my tank. I'll take small battles where I can get them, I just lost a mini colony of Speckled Kraks and Darth Mauls. 

48351588727_ae20102b87_h.jpg

SC Orange Passion, front & Center, is growing and encrusting super fast. I originally lost a frag of this and had to buy another one. So far I have been doing better this go around. To the right is the ARC Fireworks, the flow is turned off so the yellow polyps are hiding for this photo. Underneath it is the Cornbred Maleficent. Its encrusting faster than the zooxanthellae can keep up!

48351589047_23d2f9f1a4_h.jpg

And here's a nice top down of the same view:

48351461616_5be2754f3a_h.jpg

I don't think I've ever featured this before, but here is my Jawbreaker mushroom. There's actually 3 of them, all splits from the one you're seeing here with a bit of red starting to splatter in. I pulled the trigger on one about a year ago, and it's been awesome watching it grow and color up.

48351456981_fa64c430dc_h.jpg

I don't show the floor a lot, as the zoanthids are just starting to fill in and do their job. The coraline is direct competition, and I think it actually slows down growth in a lot of the floor spaces. The top is new Darth Mauls (here we go again) bottom left are Magicians, then Bowtie Blasters, and Blue Rhinos. 

48351457466_73c09e4cbb_h.jpg

TGC Cherry Bomb, and while I'm sure you can find a real unphotochopped photo of the Walt Disney these days, on the right getting choked out by Rasta's. 

48351457836_3505f05792_h.jpg

This Jason Fox Fox Flame started real strong for me, but kinda stalled out. It looks like it's about to take off again. To the right, Pink Lemonade, and Mandarin Orange zoas. 

48351590967_9a5026768e_h.jpg

The big ol' chunk on the left is a while blue, with lower phosphates I've pulled yellow tips from it. The center and tiny frag is Pink Panty Dropper, and then to that's right is Battle Corals Conveyor Belt of Fleshdunce. While it looks miserable here, it's encrusting fast and growing and slowly coloring up, I have yet to see polyps on it.

48351591332_15528fe315_h.jpg

One of my favorite Milli's, this is from DC Aquaculture, and it's their "house milli." Behind is is Cornbreds Purple Planet, and right below is RR Excalibur. On the floor in the corner of the photo is a burnt JF Beach Bum. I'm having a problem finding a spot in my tank with low enough light for it.

48351459286_62099c4bb6_h.jpg

Just some nice growth tips on the CB Purple Planet. Underneath on the floor is TSA Minions monti, I'm waiting for that to go gangbusters, great colors, and a showstopper for sure.

48351459591_17966a387e_h.jpg

Here's a coral that is the picture the only reason why I don't care for LED lighting, the TCK Pikachu. This is on a slight angle of a shelf ledge with other acro. The underside is encrusted, but completely lacks color, while the topside is doing well. If this wasn't so far off and cantilevered from the light, I'm sure it would be double the size and better colors.

48351592342_fc8cd4fbae_h.jpg

I bought this Homewrecker (can you see it?!) ages ago. A nub, that I probably spent too much money on. It's slowly started to encrust, I'm looking forward to seeing what I can pull out of it, but feels like I'm going to be waiting forever. Below it is the PC Rainbow, and then a Strawberry Shortcake making a special appearance. 

48351461296_264546907b_h.jpg

8 minutes ago, WheresTheReef said:

Very nice pieces you got there. Keep up the great job.

Slowly growing frags into colonies! 

It's funny how the former 'it' corals are growing beautifully but don't seem to engender the same sort of "oh no, can't lose it" feeling a few years later (for ex. "there's my lovely Walt Disney being strangled by rastas" lol). Per usual, everything looks bomb, and newer corals continue to have ridiculous names. Love how the bottom is filling out. Also, those nems you sold me have about doubled in size. Do you still keep any fish in there or is it corals/inverts only at this point?

18 minutes ago, rt502 said:

It's funny how the former 'it' corals are growing beautifully but don't seem to engender the same sort of "oh no, can't lose it" feeling a few years later (for ex. "there's my lovely Walt Disney being strangled by rastas" lol). Per usual, everything looks bomb, and newer corals continue to have ridiculous names. Love how the bottom is filling out. Also, those nems you sold me have about doubled in size. Do you still keep any fish in there or is it corals/inverts only at this point?

Oh, I still very much think it's an in coral, but it's finally started to find its stride. In trimming zoanthids, I've found that the SPS usually colors back up in about a week if they were covering it! 

Thanks! They are ridiculous names. I'm glad those nems are doing well! There's still 2 platinum clownfish in there, and a handful of inverts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a better shot of the Orange Passion that's not taken with a cell phone:

48464856221_912a5ff137_h.jpg

Shaggy Stuffz:

48464856846_46d766ddc2_h.jpg

ASD Rainbow starting to bring that fire:

48464855676_f6f5e429e0_h.jpg

33 minutes ago, Cliff Puckstable said:

looks fantastic

Thanks brother, taking a page out of your book!

Are you not having coral warfare?

those guys looks close to each other

1 hour ago, menglish said:

Are you not having coral warfare?

those guys looks close to each other

Everything is close to each other. There's 30+ different acropora in a 22 gallon tank! 

The only warfare I'm noticing right now is the Strawberry Shortcake Vs. Green Hairy Acro. These two corals both came into their own right about the same time, and just encrusted like crazy. What I'm seeing is the coral that is mounted to plugs tends to sprout upwards/outwards, and the pieces that I just attach to the rock encrust further and faster, but less upward growth first. This can be seen in the photo below in which the green hairy acro is pushing back the shortcake. 

48464855001_34855e56ff_h.jpg

The next issue I'm going to run into is the PC Rainbow underneath that you can't see a lot of encrusing on, but that is because the rock is cratered and dimpled, which it is already coming up on the other side of the shortcake. The Walt Disney is encrusting on to the TGC Cherry Bomb's plug, that'll be the next issue I have. 

What a difference a year makes!

Here is a shot of the tank 8/26/18

43445451164_b117fba2db_h.jpg

And here is a shot of the tank 8/8/19

48485451791_ec4010cb90_h.jpg

It does not feel like a year has gone by since I took the first photo, but I'm happy that things are still alive! 

I have been getting better about doing water changes, that got put on hold for a while, and I'm holding myself more accountable. Something that is really blowing my mind is these dove snails or collumbellid snails. They are naturally reproducing, and have been going gangbusters in the tank. Just to give an idea of how much they are reproducing, I cleaned my glass yesterday. There were a ton of little white baby snails that I scraped off while cleaning the glass. I also scrapped the egg sacs off the glass yesterday afternoon. I was worried about them blowing all over the tank, or killing them, but here is a picture from this afternoon:

48485452456_5ce2adb3c4_h.jpg

Check out this FTS I took this afternoon as well, you can see they have already laid the egg sacs all over the glass again:

48485609957_cb52e0fdf1_h.jpg

I am not complaining though! They are small, but mighty. They are very good algae grazers, so I will take what I can get, especially when that means I don't have to restock my CUC as frequently! 

My skimmer pump has stopped working for the past few days. I don't really mind, and my corals don't seem to either. If I wasn't keeping up on the water changes it might be a different story. I plan on servicing all my pumps and wavemakers this weekend, so it'll get back online then. 

43 minutes ago, moga said:

nice. you've got to cut some frags!!..nice progress.

I have been doing bonsai with the SPS! I don't cut frags to often because I don't like to keep a frag rack in the tank. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the snails today; I put them in an acclimation box that's serving as a pod/macro container, and they're already out crawling around.   

Anyway, the pictures are great, but seeing it in person is even more awesome!   This really is an insipration for the future tank I'm planning, especially since i hope to make it a peninsula tank.   I like the idea of the main rockwork piece out towards the front, as well as the MP10 placement.  

How much RODI do you use?   I found, since I've started uncovering my tank during the day, that each day I loose around 1% of my tank volume (and thus loose about 1/2g of 30g every few days).  

11 hours ago, KingOfAll_Tyrants said:

Thanks for the snails today; I put them in an acclimation box that's serving as a pod/macro container, and they're already out crawling around.   

Anyway, the pictures are great, but seeing it in person is even more awesome!   This really is an insipration for the future tank I'm planning, especially since i hope to make it a peninsula tank.   I like the idea of the main rockwork piece out towards the front, as well as the MP10 placement.  

How much RODI do you use?   I found, since I've started uncovering my tank during the day, that each day I loose around 1% of my tank volume (and thus loose about 1/2g of 30g every few days).  

Glad to hear everything is doing well. 

The trick is to find another hobby while you wait for everything to grow in, lol.

I have a 3.5 gallon or so container for my ATO. I have to fill it up every 3-4 days, which tracks with what you're seeing. Part of my aesthetic is rimless, I wouldn't want to put a lid on, mesh or glass. 

48 minutes ago, BowieReefer84 said:

Look at that tank. Just look at it. Would you look at it. WOW!

Hey man! Glad to see you're still lurking about! 

Wouldn't you know it, we're looking at moving by the end of the year :facepalm1:

I've never been a gambling man, and I don't think I'd have to worry too much about setting up 45 minutes away, but I might be significantly thinning it out for an easier transfer. Or taking another break. 

Here's Sep 2017 (so almost 2 years ago, time is freaking flying!) Everything grown from frags:

42937038660_9f4947a65b_m.jpg

Main priority is getting these things a yard:

41084156225_c74d5f5f88_m.jpg

On 8/22/2019 at 11:37 AM, YHSublime said:

I have a 3.5 gallon or so container for my ATO. I have to fill it up every 3-4 days, which tracks with what you're seeing. Part of my aesthetic is rimless, I wouldn't want to put a lid on, mesh or glass. 

Yeah you've definitely got me beat on aesthetics, lol.   

One other thing: if you're looking for another nano fish, there are a few I might suggest:

- Rainsford's Goby - cool and calm little fish, especially if you get an aquacultured one (which most are these days IIRC.  Pacific East used to sell them; I think Divers Den sells them).   They don't grow too big and don't seem to present a jumping problem.

https://www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dl-YeAFug9jU&usg=AOvVaw3ovdEotyUzT_rpqSgtl686

- tailspot blenny-  a bottom dweller that tends to sit on rocks most of the day.   

- some of the dotty backs might work; an orchid, indigo, or enlongated dottyback are fairly small and supposedly not too aggressive.  

Anyway, thanks again for sharing the tank with everyone here!

On 8/24/2019 at 8:47 PM, KingOfAll_Tyrants said:

Yeah you've definitely got me beat on aesthetics, lol.   

One other thing: if you're looking for another nano fish, there are a few I might suggest:

- Rainsford's Goby - cool and calm little fish, especially if you get an aquacultured one (which most are these days IIRC.  Pacific East used to sell them; I think Divers Den sells them).   They don't grow too big and don't seem to present a jumping problem.

https://www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dl-YeAFug9jU&usg=AOvVaw3ovdEotyUzT_rpqSgtl686

- tailspot blenny-  a bottom dweller that tends to sit on rocks most of the day.   

- some of the dotty backs might work; an orchid, indigo, or enlongated dottyback are fairly small and supposedly not too aggressive.  

Anyway, thanks again for sharing the tank with everyone here!

Thanks for the recs! I'm going to hold off on a fish until next year I think, want to make sure the tank stays up until then and timing is thinning these days. 

On 9/2/2019 at 8:06 PM, Joshifer said:

Wow I love that. It’s so clean and sleek. 

Thanks for dropping by. It's been a work in progress.

The tank is still chugging along, I didn't clean the glass at all (for a long time now) so I could show everyone the baby snails that are still popping up with some quick and dirty photos from last night. 

I'm starting to see some pretty intense coral warfare, so I'll have to do some trimming and probably deciding who's going to fill in prime real estate. The only thing I'm really doing these days besides feeding the clowns is an water change x2 a month, and it's a bit boring tbh. 

I'm also debating cleaning up my glass floor. Some zoanthids have taken to growing out, but I think my flow is so high now that there's not a lot of real estate for them to thrive in comfortably. 

48674755967_98c29c54ae_c.jpg

48674755932_dd42872842_c.jpg