Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

0d465bbb5b973ee4077befb5e054868d.jpg

This is Perculese. A giant clownfish from Btmdweller that I added to my frag tank. Just had frozen for the first time today, well, taken to it for the first time. Perculese has been eating the copious pods that were running around in there, and is finally hungry I guess. It’s name is a combo of percula and Hercules, because it is a giant clownfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha sorry forgot to tell you she was on an early schedule feeding pellets around 9am and lights off by 3pm in the frag system. Glad to see her in a good home!

13 hours ago, BtmDweller said:

Haha sorry forgot to tell you she was on an early schedule feeding pellets around 9am and lights off by 3pm in the frag system. Glad to see her in a good home!

That explains a lot. Well, she's getting like 10 hours of light a day now, and LRS exclusively, which she is now a glutton for. Perculese has hopefully moved on up in the reef world, I'm grabbing a big anemone for her tomorrow, hope she likes it!

10 minutes ago, AlanM said:

What light do you have over your frag tank and where you keeping it?

The the light is an AI Hydra 26, I've considered running a series of the AI's over the 22 because of it. Keeping the light? It has a goosneck that clamps to the back of the tank. Keeping the tank? It's by my keezer, I think it's 10"x10" maybe 12x12, but it doesn't take up a ton of space. 

Is the frag tank hooked in to your main system with the sump and display?

Nope, it's an AIO system, I've recently cleaned it out quite a bit, I'd love a tied in system, just don't have the space. 

2ff8e4c2a483f221bd0744e5a3661c8a.jpg

No pictures on this one, so what's the point, right?! 

I have some new additions I'm trying to keep track of. I don't know how updated I've been with what goes in and out, but I'm 30+ acros and 30+ zoanthids, which is crazy considering it's all in 22 gallons. I guess it's easy to make look full! 

Zoas:

Magicians

Unknowns

Candy Apple Reds (2 variations, one looks like Bowsers to me)

Jungle Juice

Bow Tie Blasters

ASD leprichauns 

Red Hornets

WWC Illuminatis

Fang Bangers 

Acro:

Reefers Cove Poison Envy

Bali Shortcake 

Montis:

TSA Minions

JF Beach Bum

WWC Kung Pow

Other SPS:

Darth Maul Porites 

JF Beach Bum:

47747950342_9d55a5c8ed.jpg

WWC Kung Pow:

47747950982_b65a654acd.jpg

TSA Minions: 

47747951612_1de97a4b47.jpg

All those encrusting monti’s. When are you gonna learn my friend. Hahahaha 

If they encrust fast enough, they can take over the floor. It’s a race to cover space!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friday, and everything's alright! 

32876254117_aac73101ff.jpg

A rare sighting of SC Orange Passion, CB Malificent, and RR Acid Trip in a trifecta

32876254567_fe8273824b.jpg

I love how the zoas have filled in between everything! Great top down view!

Thanks man! Trying to get something for all angles, top down wins though!

Well, Perculese found a home last night! It took her long enough (him really, but finding another perc bigger would be a challenge!) Fat fish just lays there, thought it was dead for a bit. I’ve never seen such an unenthusiastic fish in all my life.

ddbbc896ba5f9c1e7b85c36e07df61ab.jpg

307f929f490a9646d6eb24a612fc2bc9.jpg

Here is a video of the tank a little over a year ago:

Here it is today, the LED's are seemingly much harder for my camera phone to capture than the T5's:

• 3 weeks later...

So, last week I had a power failure, but the harrowing story behind it is even bigger! 

About a 4 weeks ago, my little sister called me up to inform me she was getting married, which she did on Tuesday, and I was able to make it to the West Coast for it. Her fiance could only get so much time off of work, his parents were traveling, needless to say, the "shotgun wedding" was a bit abrupt in terms of letting us East Coast family plan! 

I have a buddy that works for American, and can usually get me places on standby, presuming there is some order in the universe, and there was not! Last Thursday, I woke up at 3:30am to make it to Regan, to fly to Laguardia, to uber to JFK, to hopefully catch a flight out to San Francisco. Being Memorial Day weekend, things were expensive, took a long time, and all booked up. I had several standby chances to make it onto a plane into SFO, but unfortunately, several families missed their first flight out, and knocked the standby list back even further. I spent the day working from the airport, and figured if I couldn't get a flight, there were at least 9 later options for flying back into DCA. Well, I didn't get on the last 4pm flight to SFO, and watched it fly off into the beautiful big blue sky. 

I figured I would start looking about getting back into DC, when all of a sudden it looks like H-E-double hockey sticks freezing over outside. My house sitter texts me and tells me we're on Tornado Warning. All 9 flights cancel, and I'm potentially stuck in NYC. I start making my way out of the terminal into the subway, I'm not the only one with this brilliant idea. We are all headed to Port Authority, I'm hoping to catch a train. Every time we move from station to station, I lose service, only picking it up at each stop. I have train tickets, I can't buy them, I have train tickets, I can't buy them, I don't have train tickets, they're all sold out! 

I start searching buses. I find a Peter Pan bus that is heading into Union Station, I can buy the ticket. 

My house sitter sends me pictures of my neighborhood destroyed. Trees on everything, house definitely without power. I'm not home until 2am, I instruct him on setting up the bubbler. The Ecotech battery backup has not been charged properly. It is not working. Windows are open, it's probably 80 degrees, and stagnant when I get in. Luckily, all fish are still alive. Corals appear to be OK, but definitely upset. Now I have to drive to my friends boat to grab their battery to hook up to my inverter. I grab it, and by 4:30am I have the mag 5 up and running, as well as an extension cord to 2 box fans in my window.  I barely sleep, but get power back about 24 hours later, in which we all rejoice. 

I turn around and leave for SFO on Sunday, house sitter overfeeds tanks while I'm gone. Algae builds up on glass, little bit of GHA takes off, but otherwise everything appears to be fine and dandy! 

You read all of this and realize you got no pictures. I decide to commit to cleaning the glass, maybe tonight!

Well, I've had power outages, travels, adventure, and life all happen. Good news is that we're still ticking along.

On 6/4/2019 at 8:41 PM, Origami said:

Wow!

Thanks, Tom! It's been a slow, but fun and challenging tank being the size that it is!

On 6/5/2019 at 2:27 AM, TheyCallMeMr.703 said:

Very Impressive...  You've come a long way. :thumbsup:

On 6/5/2019 at 11:15 AM, Reefoholic said:

Love the look! Lot's of inspiration for my new tank! 

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for checking it out. Just remember, it's easy to make a small tank look full! 

So I broke down the frag tank. I've been traveling so much lately that another tank to worry about was a nightmare for me. I somehow packed all of the frags into the 22. I made water yesterday, and it was so calming just having to worry about one tank again, so I think I made the right decision. 

I'm very excited, because today my nano scraper finally came in the mail. It's nothing special, but it's cut through coraline in all the corners of the tank, and along the bottom with ease. Even if I have to change the razor blade every time, I didn't have to get my hands wet once, and it sliced through like butter. My old Algae Free plastic one snapped, I regret even starting with it. I wish Algae Free would go back to making nano sized tank scrapers with the razor blade attachment, but this will have to do! I can also cut it down in tight spaces, and was so inspired I snapped some photos:

48039729908_2f08f33eba_h.jpg

48039692856_ef46cfc0ae_h.jpg

48039796172_daffda00d9_h.jpg

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Par Meter Results:

Literally drooling at work. Looking SWEET AF!

Maybe I should pay a home visit and grab some corals................................