Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

Well, I got my Reef Cleaners order. I don't think I could have made a wiser decision nipping some of the problems in the bud right away. 

It took the weekend, but the peppermint shrimp have demolished every single invasive aiptasia that some how recently hitchhiked into my reef. 3 emeralds went into the 22, and 1 into the frag tank, and they are cleaning out the crevices of bubble algae that was starting to crop up as well. For anybody that looked over the order, you might have noticed I have the lettuce nudi's on there. There has been some algae in the frag tank that I'm not 100% sure what it is, and they seem to be taking care of it. I might have to pay them forward when they are done. I have also had to turn off the MP10 in there to make sure they are comfy, nothing seems to mind with just the return pump lightly moving the water. 

OH, and in biggest news, I removed the floor patch of GSP! It was approaching the rock way too fast too often, so that's one less thing.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, menglish said:

Very nice tank.

No sand too?

Thanks, Milton. It's documented back towards the beginning, but the long and short of it is, I didn't want equipment on any end of the tank but the back wall. This was on account of it being a peninsula tank. When I had sand, it was pushing the sand from the middle off the front glass, and bunching it up in the middle. The result was a sand dune that came all the way to the top of the ledge in the middle of the tank, as well as no sand in the front portion of the tank, and then a flat almost no flow sand in the back of the tank. Now I can blast flow from the back and I don't have to worry about what happens to anything getting covered! 

Its a fine looking tank.

I would still love to get a frag of that shroom

• 2 weeks later...
Couple changes since my last photos. I did remove the GSP. That's been a relief. The coraline is already taking to the floor under where it once lay. I did get a baby purple tang to replace the yellow. Moved the yellow into the frag tank this morning, was promptly eating by the carpet anemone in less than 2 minutes. Lesson learned (the hard way.)

I guess if I had really bothered, I could have moved the frag rack out. 

3 minutes ago, menglish said:

how many fish are in the tank

3, and the clowns don't leave their anemone. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had to give the SC Orange Passion a shot again, I think it's just gorgeous:

46594629675_e21762a22d_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing a TON of traveling over the past 2 weeks, so the tank has not seen a lot of love. Luckily, now that I'm back, everything looks better off without me. My dKH consumption continue to rise, have jumped from 5ml to almost 20ml over the past month. 

Additionally, it took a while, but the extra addition of the MP10 on the front side of the peninsula has remedied my polyp extension woes. Just about every single SPS now has very happy extending polyps during the day and night. 

The pictures don't really capture the awesomeness of the tank, I am going to see if I can buy a nice macro lens and get some closer photos, until then, you'll just have to make do with FTS's. 

47557289622_304446cb2b_b.jpg

46694727645_58a89386d3_b.jpg

46694728615_d0469bab85_b.jpg

46694727645_58a89386d3_b.jpg

46694728265_fe3af7a1c9_b.jpg

46886105344_7a83135ffd_b.jpg

The tank looks clean and empty.

you need more corals  and fish, dude :)

33 minutes ago, menglish said:

The tank looks clean and empty.

you need more corals  and fish, dude :)

Don't I know it! 

Man that looks great, come a loong way

Thank ya, sir. It certainly has grown, a little slower than I like, but probably for the best. Especially since I don’t have enough room for et in there right now!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking nice!  I see that you’re transitioning more to SPSs in this tank :D

Thanks! There is about equal ratio of corals, for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m predicting less zoas and more acros!! haha Looks great. Love watching as tanks change over time giving inspiration and ideas.

10 hours ago, BtmDweller said:

I’m predicting less zoas and more acros!! haha Looks great. Love watching as tanks change over time giving inspiration and ideas.

I've actually started growing out the zoanthids in the frag tank, which is also pretty much full. The zoas in some areas are starting to cover up the base of the SPS as it encrusts. I'm finding the zoanthids to be harder to control than the acro's. I've started putting zoas on the floor, and most of them are taking off already, and competing with the coraline now. I'm at the stage now that if I want to add more acros, I'll have to swap something out for space. 

Looking great buddy!
Is that a GIANT anem or the pics make it look that big?

Thanks! It is indeed just a giant nem. The clowns love it, and it provides some nice movement against the sticks.

41 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Thanks! It is indeed just a giant nem. The clowns love it, and it provides some nice movement against the sticks.

Pretty bold having a great big nem that could decide at any point to go on a walkabout in a 20g tank full of SPS.

19 minutes ago, AlanM said:

Pretty bold having a great big nem that could decide at any point to go on a walkabout in a 20g tank full of SPS.

Well, when you say it out loud like that!

I'm not going to knock on wood. But that foot has been pretty rooted into the rock structure. I originally got rid of about 8 anemones that were all in the back end there. Then I found the perfect rock to replace the old one. Then that Goliath anemone made it it's home, and hopefully there it will stay!

Don't you hate it when things don't run smoothly? Luckily I'm a huge fan of the KISS method, so there aren't a lot of places for things to go wrong. I do regular maintenance on my tank/equipment, and I've learned that it's wise to have a backup of everything JIC! 

Yesterday, I noticed that my MP10QD was throwing up some weird lights and wasn't spinning. I searched all online, and couldn't find much, so I decided to call them. The light flashes from Green, to White, to Red. I was told, after some troubleshooting, it was deemed a stall error and it had to be sent in. I don't have the receipt, so I'm nervous about paying to send it in and then getting stuck with another bill. Luckily, I have an old original MP10 that I was able to put up and get my SPS back to their expected living conditions! 

Just in case, I have battery backups, backup lights, and backup pumps as well. I also find it strange when people spend a small fortune on the corals and fish, and don't have backup plans which is essentially reef insurance!

On 4/24/2019 at 9:56 PM, YHSublime said:
Don't you hate it when things don't run smoothly? Luckily I'm a huge fan of the KISS method, so there aren't a lot of places for things to go wrong. I do regular maintenance on my tank/equipment, and I've learned that it's wise to have a backup of everything JIC! 

Yesterday, I noticed that my MP10QD was throwing up some weird lights and wasn't spinning. I searched all online, and couldn't find much, so I decided to call them. The light flashes from Green, to White, to Red. I was told, after some troubleshooting, it was deemed a stall error and it had to be sent in. I don't have the receipt, so I'm nervous about paying to send it in and then getting stuck with another bill. Luckily, I have an old original MP10 that I was able to put up and get my SPS back to their expected living conditions! 

Just in case, I have battery backups, backup lights, and backup pumps as well. I also find it strange when people spend a small fortune on the corals and fish, and don't have backup plans which is essentially reef insurance!

They have taken good care of my stuff in the past, worry not! It is clearly their product and they will stand by their products.

If you need a back up MP10, I have one that is laying around.

Given that, I cannot agree more with the back up comment; it is ALWAYS a good idea to have an old but functional power head, some water made if you have space, and some small tank (I have a tiny 2.5 gal) to move stuff into quickly in the event of a spike or an overdose. These are things one learns over time, with experience...

Matt

8 hours ago, Reefoholic said:

They have taken good care of my stuff in the past, worry not! It is clearly their product and they will stand by their products.

If you need a back up MP10, I have one that is laying around.

Given that, I cannot agree more with the back up comment; it is ALWAYS a good idea to have an old but functional power head, some water made if you have space, and some small tank (I have a tiny 2.5 gal) to move stuff into quickly in the event of a spike or an overdose. These are things one learns over time, with experience...

Matt

Thanks Matt, I appreciate the offer, luckily I'm alright, or you would have likely seen a post looking for! 

I guess I'll take the shipping hit, might as well keep a reserve, I just wish it worked like it was supposed ta' considering the price tag. Oh well, it's an expensive hobby!