YHSublime

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, bk_market said:

Looking nice Issac. What is the name of the orange and green Zoa next to your red dragon frag? 

Thanks. Sold as Goblins on Fire, but I think they look a lot like Oompa Loompa's. 

58 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Well, my alk fluctuations from the dosing incident seemed to have not done any favors for the Orange Passion, which slowly has STN'd over the past 5 days or so. Part of the top is still there, so I'm hoping that it'll bounce back, but not hopefully. One piece out of all the many is not too shabby though. Everything else is exploding, just taking my alk into consideration daily, until I can finally get it balanced out again. 

I can sympathize. In the last week, my GARF Purple Bonsai started losing tissue in one corner while everything else in the tank was doing well. It appeared that my alk was low (7 dKH) so I raised it with manual dosing for a couple of days, but the alk kept dropping. I finally traced it down to a sediment clog in my calcium reactor that completely stopped effluent flow. I took four frags of the declining colony and some have continued to decline. The main colony is a mess, though, and it looks like I'll lose it (it originally came to me from Almon's tank). But I'll leave it alone because you can never tell - sometimes out of nothing, a small smidgen of color emerges to give rise another colony. Everything else, though, looks happy. Sometimes this hobby's just like that.

I can sympathize. In the last week, my GARF Purple Bonsai started losing tissue in one corner while everything else in the tank was doing well. It appeared that my alk was low (7 dKH) so I raised it with manual dosing for a couple of days, but the alk kept dropping. I finally traced it down to a sediment clog in my calcium reactor that completely stopped effluent flow. I took four frags of the declining colony and some have continued to decline. The main colony is a mess, though, and it looks like I'll lose it (it originally came to me from Almon's tank). But I'll leave it alone because you can never tell - sometimes out of nothing, a small smidgen of color emerges to give rise another colony. Everything else, though, looks happy. Sometimes this hobby's just like that.

Sorry to hear, but yeah, that’s the way the cookie crumbles. I’ve learnt to let things ride, easier when things are tiny though, less heartbreak!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I've been gone for a week. I feel like everything has grown. I'm very proud, as everything was grown from tiny frags. 

Took out the back rock, there are about 6 anemones on that tiny rock, they all stay put, but I need to figure out what I'm going to do back there, the old birdsnest colony was growing so fast it was shading everything. I love the GSP on the floor, but it's turning into a lot of work. I'm constantly cutting it back, or trimming it off the side glass. I also got rid of a huge colony of Jedi Mind Trick, so I'm looking for something to fill in that space. I'm thinking a Homewrecker would look nice ;)

32929925718_cfc3717ddf_z.jpg

39840254773_fa0b7b0aa7_z.jpg

Beautiful man. I wish I can keep all the sides clean like yours. When I used to have some anemones they always move around. Your water parameter must be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful man. I wish I can keep all the sides clean like yours. When I used to have some anemones they always move around. Your water parameter must be perfect.

Thank you! I don’t know about perfect,
I can only tell you my alkalinity, haha!

• 2 weeks later...

Well lots of changes pretty much right after my last update. I have been doing a ton of traveling for work lately, so I'm always shocked the tank is even still running every time I get back. 

46208387104_0be7b0325c_z.jpg

I rescaped the back area of the tank. I LOVED what I came up with. The giant RBTA I added did not, and I found it stinging half my shrooms to death, so I had to adjust the rock a bit. I am happy with what it is now, but really liked what I had before I had to twist the rock in a direction I didn't like as much in order to get the nem happy. 

46208387294_89b0191e02_z.jpg

The GSP started as a fun project, but now is turning into a big chunk of work. I'm trimming it back all the time, and it's starting to get on the rock (I've epoxied over) but now its no longer a game, it is time to go. My picture updates would lead you to believe I don't do anything with it, trust me, I trim it like once a week!

46933044321_6ce503a0f2_z.jpg

I added a red grow light to the sump. I have NEVER been able to grow cheato before. I have cheato down there, but what has started to take off is the dragons breath macro I left. It had blown all over the sump and was in little pieces that I was sure would die. They have not, and have started sprouting, and growing from the bottom. I will soon have more Dragons Breath than cheato, which I think will be kind of cool! I also rubber banded the rest of it (big clump) to a rock, and it has started growing great in my frag tank as well! 

Can anybody spot my recent addition? I'm not one for fish names, but this one I've dubbed Baby Beaker. I've had over a year of pods building up, and BB has taken to LRS as well.

46933044141_5d53265cd9_z.jpg

Let me know when he outgrows your tank. I got dibs when he is up for sale  I will let u put in the hard work :)

Edited by epleeds

Let me know when he outgrows your tank. I got dibs when he is up for sale  I will let u put in the hard work 

With the hard work comes the upcharge, lol! Only 2” now, but will soon be too big for my tank. Has picked snails, hermits, but aiptasia is all gone. Has left corals alone, at least while I’m watching. I would like to get this one hand fed, like my old one in the 150.

Was the CBB the reason for the emergency LRS post? Had one a few years ago that was my fave fish ever, and loved him some LRS. Only thing I dislike about my lagoon 25 is that it's 1/4 the size of a proper CBB tank. 

Was the CBB the reason for the emergency LRS post? Had one a few years ago that was my fave fish ever, and loved him some LRS. Only thing I dislike about my lagoon 25 is that it's 1/4 the size of a proper CBB tank. 

Yes, I thought I had another pack, I did not. I’m very aware Baby Beaker will, like all things in this tank, outgrow it very fast.

I had my eyes on a baby purple tang,
A baby Gem Tang,
Or a baby CBB.

The clowns don’t stray from the anemone, Baby Beaker isnt one bit shy, unfortunately I followed up on my old CBB and the reefer had a power failure while traveling, lost all their fish. While traveling, the tank gets fed once a day. When home, it’s about 3x now. I like my animals thick.

Yeah man. I was 'this' close to picking up a baby CBB to keep for 6 months or so, just because I enjoyed the process of weaning them onto prepared foods, and finding a new home for a healthy CBB is a cinch. Yours is obviously in good hands. Your tank looks great. 

On 1/30/2019 at 9:12 PM, rt502 said:

Yeah man. I was 'this' close to picking up a baby CBB to keep for 6 months or so, just because I enjoyed the process of weaning them onto prepared foods, and finding a new home for a healthy CBB is a cinch. Yours is obviously in good hands. Your tank looks great. 

Thanks, sir!

2 hours ago, moga said:

Great tank always!! .. new lighting?..

OH got it.. I read previous pages..:)

Thanks for coming back and checking it out. Yeah, I swapped over to LED a while ago, too hot in my place for anything else. 

40 minutes ago, BowieReefer84 said:

looking fresh

Thanks dude. Glad to see you're still lurking! 

Was admiring the tank this afternoon. 

32144733957_21fcce9df2_z.jpg

It's not always easy. The tank glass hasn't been cleaned in a month or so, so there is coraline growing on the glass. I have water made up and will do a water change tonight, but the view from the couch is still messy:

32144733517_b59547da35_z.jpg

What particularly struck me about today though was the way my mushrooms decide to all show off and lay out perfectly:

46172954055_b3806c447b_z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since an update. Not a lot happening other than growth. I did lose the Copperband, which I chalk up to my hubris. It has been replaced with a baby yellow tang. I do, however, have bubble algae and recently somehow acquired aiptasia. I've been debating what to do here, and this Friday I have a Reef Cleaners order coming:

image.png.c1476bb772e68b58069a0bbe612cbf28.png

I'm hoping I didn't go overboard! 

Oh well, everybody likes pictures, so here's a few before lights out tonight:

47252681562_80f39ccf21_z.jpg

32363401417_9df16012b6_z.jpg

47252681692_49a08acd2e_z.jpg

47252681962_6d05ed5f78_z.jpg

47252682332_fbf4eb719c_z.jpg

32363402107_b0632dea3e_z.jpg

An nice mini chunk of reef: JF Homewrecker, Speckled Kraks, WWC Purple Monsters

47252682652_108cecb64c_z.jpg

An eye of Space Invader Pectinia, a nice gift from a local reefer - this has been on my list for a long time, but I've never pulled the trigger on account of its long feelers

32363402647_b94423b9aa_z.jpg

I cant quite get a good photo of these yuma. They are baby blue/turqouise with yellow orange and green speckled inside of them, they are stunning:

32363402897_74855e3e5e_z.jpg

Borderline LTA, rainbow BTA which is just gigantic:

47252706102_73011e7cf6_z.jpg

My wife would really like that tank. In some ways she misses the nano. Yours is packed and looking great!

Thanks! I’ve really enjoyed the challenge of nano, but miss being able to keep more/larger fish.

Your tank looks awesome!

I didn't read through the thread but was curious, what do you do for maintenance/supplementation on it?

Thank you! I use KISS. Keep it simple, stupid ;)

Water change 5 gallons every 2 weeks.
Skim
Feed exclusively frozen
I dose ESV 2 part for calc alk and mag
That’s it.