Posted Images

Fantastic photos!! Looking good brotha!

Thank you, sir! 

Check out the fire on this base!

4039c356dbb1153e515ea16a68025946.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, Sharkey18 said:

Those photos are amazing! Are you using a lens tube? (The thing that you attach that lets you get into the water)?

Thanks for checking in! I wasn't sure if this was on the radar anymore! 

The ones in October (pretty much one page back) are all with an avast spyglass tube, but all other photos have been with the flow off from the top, or with my iPhoneX. It's been a while since I've had a real go at trying to take photos. I don't have a lot of distance here, and I need a macro-macro lens to get real close and dirty!

Looking good. Digging the GSP on the floor. How close to the rock is the GSP? That stuff spread like wildfire, but you know that. lol

30 minutes ago, D805 said:

Looking good. Digging the GSP on the floor. How close to the rock is the GSP? That stuff spread like wildfire, but you know that. lol

Thanks! The GSP comes right up to the rock. I'm constantly trimming it back. It started as just a plug I threw into the corner a year ago to figure out what I was going to do with it later, and then I liked the way it started matting. Now It's kind of like a lawn. I'm breaking down the nem rock in the back, and hope to push everything back a bit, and add another SPS rock. We will see. There has been a lot of growth and changes that I just haven't updated. 

New home made dosing containers

138e95b6888e807f1fb445787eab3dcb.jpg

79df356a427bff38a3e13b5904530f93.jpg

Are those voss water bottles? I made some just like that and they work great.

Yup, the glass ones! Better than the plastic milk jugs I was using!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, epleeds said:

That’s awesome!!

4 minutes ago, skillz_dat_killz said:

Those are some L-E-G-I-T dosing containers!!

After some quick research, with the mur-lok bulkheads and some acrylic rods, you can turn any container into a dosing container!

Well, I found out that the acrylic tubing I bought for the dosing containers doesn't hold a prime. Works great with the RO tubing though. Defeats the purpose of a DIY project, as my intention was to rid the curled tube into the container. 

How did I find out? Well, good thing I test my alk daily. I thought my consumption was going up with the recent addition of a tiny clam, so for two days I upped the 2 part by 2ml, and alk was still progressively dropping. Last night I checked a manual run through of the pumps, and the prime on them was completely gone. 

Just glad I was home to catch it. 

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Well, I found out that the acrylic tubing I bought for the dosing containers doesn't hold a prime. Works great with the RO tubing though. Defeats the purpose of a DIY project, as my intention was to rid the curled tube into the container. 

How did I find out? Well, good thing I test my alk daily. I thought my consumption was going up with the recent addition of a tiny clam, so for two days I upped the 2 part by 2ml, and alk was still progressively dropping. Last night I checked a manual run through of the pumps, and the prime on them was completely gone. 

Sounds like an air-leak through your peristaltic pump, which can happen with pumps that don't have many rollers and can stop in an unsealed state or if your connections are not air-tight. Could you address the problem with a small checkvalve?

I got my acrylic rod and bulkhead from BRS and they work just fine together for me on 3 different containers. In fact I can't pull the rod out once inserted. Seems like it's losing the seal somewhere. Either at the doser or a connection. If at the rod/bulkhead connection, then maybe it's missing the o-ring. Worst case you can probably put some silicone to seal up the bulkhead-tube connection.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-4-push-connect-bulkhead-tank-adapter.html

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-4-clear-acrylic-tube-16-long.html

2 minutes ago, Origami said:

Sounds like an air-leak through your peristaltic pump, which can happen with pumps that don't have many rollers and can stop in an unsealed state or if your connections are not air-tight. Could you address the problem with a small checkvalve?

I actually reached out to BRS and ended up talking to Chad. He told me that the 1/4" acrylic tubing is actually just small enough that it doesn't connect without really jamming it in there. Then of course, if you jostle, move, whatever, it has the issue of coming undone. He suggested some lubrication gel, and I figured I could just superglue them tight, but I'm wary of trying that and then traveling and having issues while I'm gone. 

1 minute ago, WheresTheReef said:

I got my acrylic rod and bulkhead from BRS and they work just fine together for me on 3 different containers. In fact I can't pull the rod out once inserted. Seems like it's losing the seal somewhere. Either at the doser or a connection. If at the rod/bulkhead connection, then maybe it's missing the o-ring. Worst case you can probably put some silicone to seal up the bulkhead-tube connection.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-4-push-connect-bulkhead-tank-adapter.html

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-4-clear-acrylic-tube-16-long.html

Yup, I have the exact same. My dosing containers are in a spot where they get constantly jostled or slid around, not a lot of room under my stand. I imagine yours are probably more stationary out of the way? 

I also forgot to mention, within the past 2 months, I purchased new tubes and dosing heads, and lubed everything up, I'm confident it's the acrylic meeting the bulkhead issue. 

Yup, I have the exact same. My dosing containers are in a spot where they get constantly jostled or slid around, not a lot of room under my stand. I imagine yours are probably more stationary out of the way? 

I also forgot to mention, within the past 2 months, I purchased new tubes and dosing heads, and lubed everything up, I'm confident it's the acrylic meeting the bulkhead issue. 
Yea pretty much fill them up and leave them in place. I pushed the rods in tight and they aren't coming out. If you were able to remove them then they probably weren't inserted all the way. Maybe I'll silicone mine in to be safe, but I've been running them like that for over a year now with no issues yet.

2 hours ago, Origami said:

2 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:
2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Yea pretty much fill them up and leave them in place. I pushed the rods in tight and they aren't coming out. If you were able to remove them then they probably weren't inserted all the way. Maybe I'll silicone mine in to be safe, but I've been running them like that for over a year now with no issues yet.

I want to update with this was seemingly complete user error on my part. BRS was too polite to tell me I'm just dumb. I looked over everything again tonight, and really pushed the rods into the bulkhead, I definitely did not have them connected properly. It took a lot more force than I thought to make sure they really connect. I re-primed and dosed what I collected from the test (20ml each solution, one in the sump, one in the display.) I'll obviously keep an eye out, but I'm fairly certain this was 100% me. 

d0ae6a5f56e193990231f7a469749082.jpg

4 years ago today!

Well, my alk fluctuations from the dosing incident seemed to have not done any favors for the Orange Passion, which slowly has STN'd over the past 5 days or so. Part of the top is still there, so I'm hoping that it'll bounce back, but not hopefully. One piece out of all the many is not too shabby though. Everything else is exploding, just taking my alk into consideration daily, until I can finally get it balanced out again. 

I was able to move out a mini colony (large large frag) of forest fire digi, and accidentally broke off the chunk of setosa. I used the new construction opportunity to chisel off the Jedi Mind Trick colony that was approaching all my acros, already starting with the PC Rainbow. This involved removing the whole rock, a flat head screw driver, and a hammer. While the rock was out, I also took a razor blade, and scraped back all the GSP that had started a network structure under the rock and was starting to spread on the other side! 

I didn't bother cleaning the glass, and it's been a hot minute since a water change, even though I've got the water made up :rolleyes:

32780752668_49065dc1ec_z.jpg

46655572131_f2098c6701_z.jpg

45740504555_0d3565bfb1_z.jpg

45930622734_36c28c7c23_z.jpg