Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow!!!!! Now, that is a build that I really dig. I absolutely am in love with this concept.

Thanks for following along! It hopefully gets better!

So: Tank is cycling. I added 20lbs of fiji pink, and the rock, and a big live rock (Thanks Molcott!) to kick the cycle. To my horror, I found a bunch of bristle worms dead. I say horror, because I LOVE bristle worms. I don't have any test kits, so I'm debating just getting an ammonia badge, and then doing a big water change. Tonight I'll be adding some live rock from another tank, and then I'll be adding some sand from my current nano. The introduction of all of this should help kick start, and get my minimal amounts of rock seeded. I need to get my ATO hooked up, as I'm seeing quite a bit of evaporation, yikes. Still trying to figure out cords/cable management, and still need to get the doors. 

The sand hazed things up a bit, so pictures to come later. This will be the boring part. 

Nearly plumbed (sans return, which is rigged atm) 

Expect pictures like these until Janurary. 20lbs of live rock added to the sump, one into the display (up front) 20lbs of dead rock. 20lbs of Fiji Pink. 

38401359791_2533e605a7_h.jpg

38369948632_5f7f49af76_h.jpg

38369949472_d0c76cf0fb_h.jpg

That looks great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks dood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is plugging along. Coming up on almost a month since water was added. I threw a conch snail last week, and it's still kicking, so my guess is it must be OK! I've been turning the lights on just so the bulbs can burn for a bit before I finish up the cycle. I'd say I've got almost 30 hours or so on them, still worried about switching the corals over and the brightness! I've been adding a bit of food every now and then, and I'm seeing some hair algae, and the usual uglies, like diatome spots popping up on the sand and rocks. determined to keep it rolling with just the conch for now till Jan 1. I think I'll do a 50% water change, as I'm sure my nitrates are high. 

My only real concern at the moment is the incredible amount of evaporation I'm seeing. 

Tank is plugging along. Coming up on almost a month since water was added. I threw a conch snail last week, and it's still kicking, so my guess is it must be OK! I've been turning the lights on just so the bulbs can burn for a bit before I finish up the cycle. I'd say I've got almost 30 hours or so on them, still worried about switching the corals over and the brightness! I've been adding a bit of food every now and then, and I'm seeing some hair algae, and the usual uglies, like diatome spots popping up on the sand and rocks. determined to keep it rolling with just the conch for now till Jan 1. I think I'll do a 50% water change, as I'm sure my nitrates are high.

My only real concern at the moment is the incredible amount of evaporation I'm seeing.

I think it's just the time of year. My 60 cube is evaporating like crazy. Your tanks coming along nicely sir!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think it's just the time of year. My 60 cube is evaporating like crazy. Your tanks coming along nicely sir!

Thanks! I hope it is just this time of year. I have my windows open and the fan going actually. One thing I haven't done is fixed the return bulkhead. I'll do that tonight, have all the parts. I originally took a tea towel, wrapped it around, and it's served it's purpose just fine, lol.

I'm also running filter socks on this tank, not sure how I feel about that, but I'll need something to help dirty it up.

Well. Although the pictures don't do it any justice in changes, there has been a lot going on. 

I re did the return. Now the gasket is on the inside of the tank, like it should have been. No more drips. I've had a dish towel wrapped around it, so it's a relief to have off my plate and not worry about it anymore. 

I had an ATO, just had not installed it yet, so got that taken care of tonight. Seems pretty accurate (Tunze) so I'm relieved to not have to remember to add water every couple of days or so. 

Finally put the reef octopus online. Maybe just to see how it would do? I don't think I need it yet, but this is by far, the easiest skimmer I've ever adjusted. It's already pulling out gunk, and I have it set to skim suuuuuper dry. 

Added loc-line to the return. Just a small change, but one of those things I needed all the right parts for. 

The doors are ready now, but I have to go pick them up and put them on. I've gotten super used to just having an open stand. 

37803910155_2e98a8af44_h.jpg

37803914805_1e36d3c3d2_h.jpg

37803917245_aa88999fc2_h.jpg

38635522296_52ae112bfc_h.jpg

26915713599_a4b3c0421b_h.jpg

looking great. is that a conch in the bottom pic or another hermit?

It's a conch. It was in the nano, wrecking things. I'm letting the tank ride until Jan, but did add a 2 man cuc

Its coming along nicely. Itching to get water in mine. 

Love the look of this tank

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to seeing it come together, whatever that might look like. I'm a sucker for LPS and softies, but SPS always ropes me back in again. One thing I need to figure out in the next month or so here, is how to cleanly get a lid on this, without using glass. 

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to seeing it come together, whatever that might look like. I'm a sucker for LPS and softies, but SPS always ropes me back in again. One thing I need to figure out in the next month or so here, is how to cleanly get a lid on this, without using glass.

I have a artfully acrylic lid on my custom 93 rimless cube and I highly recommend them.

I have a artfully acrylic lid on my custom 93 rimless cube and I highly recommend them.

I've heard good things. I've reached out to Adam to see what the cost might be.

Looking sweet isaac

Thanks! Not a lot of space underneath for much anything else, but I'm pretty happy with it so far!

27001557239_cba14f6f6b_k.jpg

27001560179_93f1fef053_k.jpg

Here's what I could do without switching lenses equipment wise:

This is by far the easiest skimmer I've ever adjusted. It's doing great work.

38060443494_6d4165f216_k.jpg

Boring part, hard to get a picture. Fuge. Currently big chunks of live rock, cheato, GSP, and some rescued birdsnest coral that will most likely die, just attached to the rock.

27001557669_b8be1697df_k.jpg

ATO Container, with Tunze ATO, I designed the cabinet so this could squeeze in alongside the sump. I did not anticipate going through about 3 gallons of evaporation a week!

27001559219_ed96878dca_k.jpg

Pulled a frag rack over, things are still alive. Algae continues to grow, still has cycles to complete, adding a CUC package this month.

38144852534_3733cc5bb1_k.jpg

27084079449_84a11e1a97_k.jpg

Everything looks great man ...its gonna be a sick looking tank when everything established, goes very well with the exposed brick background and everything.  BTW where did you get that blue mushroom from ?

Everything looks great man ...its gonna be a sick looking tank when everything established, goes very well with the exposed brick background and everything.  BTW where did you get that blue mushroom from ?

Thanks, sir. I think you're right, once I get some corals growing out and colonies established, this should be a rainbow in a box. Part of the design was considering the surroundings, so I'm glad you caught that detail! The blue mushroom has been around in the club since the dawn of time (almost.) I think Zygote hand a heavy hand in spreading them around. Not so common anymore it seems. 

Looking great

Thanks!

I need to get another tank. That will be my news years resolution. Thanks for helping feed the addiction Isaac!

You should! I'm having fun planning this one out. There are worse addictions to have!