Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

I like the second overall, and I like the third from the right but not the left. The stand looks absolutely stunning so far!!

I know Dave has his last and only (for at least the time being) NanoBox Hybrid available. It’s his personal unit and he isn’t listing it, but I know he was potentially going to be selling it. Might be more than you want to spend, but they are pretty amazing!

Don't tempt him, you devil!  He already ordered a 36 inch ATI. haha

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the second overall, and I like the third from the right but not the left. The stand looks absolutely stunning so far!!

I know Dave has his last and only (for at least the time being) NanoBox Hybrid available. It’s his personal unit and he isn’t listing it, but I know he was potentially going to be selling it. Might be more than you want to spend, but they are pretty amazing!

Linseed oil and first coat of finish:

92ca31d68c486b32a050064dfe14f47b.jpg

I did a bad job with the photos. My dog was trying to chew my shoes (while they were on my feet) for some attention, so I wrapped up pretty quick! I think second, I'm going to start cycling rock in a tub tonight, just to get a jump on that.

Don't tempt him, you devil! He already ordered a 36 inch ATI. haha

What Alan said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are doing a great job on that stand.  It looks really nice with a simple Shaker design rather than lots of fancy trim.  You've got a future as a stand builder. 

You are doing a great job on that stand. It looks really nice with a simple Shaker design rather than lots of fancy trim. You've got a future as a stand builder.

It's not me! It's our very own BenA of WAMAS. I've been really impressed with his work!

Looks nice! Great job. 

Thanks man, stand is being built by BenA though! 

Ah, I didn't know that.  Well, he does good work.

He does, recognize the top piece? No more blue powder (I left the aesthetic choice to Ben) but I'm blown away by how nice he got that red oak looking and planked. Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if underneath has any of it? 

I also left the aesthetic of a lip, or flat to Ben. It looks like it's going to be flat. I'm presuming I'll have to use some kind of mat underneath, or foam.

I know they make them for the Mr. Aqua 12L's, any recommendations? 

Would a yoga mat work?

Dunno?

For the mat, look into cutting from a sheet of neoprene rubber. You can get some at BRS. But try calling a few fabric stores and seeing if you can find any there. I recall having once seen black neoprene at a Joann Fabrics store a few years back. Buy a little and cut it to size, and it'll make a nice, black cushion for use under your tank. 

black yoga mat cut to fit the tank bottom gets my vote

For the mat, look into cutting from a sheet of neoprene rubber. You can get some at BRS. But try calling a few fabric stores and seeing if you can find any there. I recall having once seen black neoprene at a Joann Fabrics store a few years back. Buy a little and cut it to size, and it'll make a nice, black cushion for use under your tank. 

Yoga mat is more expensive. I can get neoprene roll on Amazon for less than $20, do you think 1/4" would be too thick?

Yoga mat is more expensive. I can get neoprene roll on Amazon for less than $20, do you think 1/4" would be too thick?

No. Personally, I think it's probably ideal. 

Made a bit of progress this weekend, still miles to go.

For starters, I picked up the stand from Ben. Doors to follow, just needed to get moving on getting things into one. I had a sump, tank, all sorts of stuff, just lying around. Now it's all close to how it will function, and I can regain parts of my life!

ATI & Bulbs arrived. x2 Blue Plus x1 Fiji Purple x1 Coral Plus

If I could do it again, I'd probably remember that I like the x2 coral plus and x2 blue plus, we will see how it works out. Everything I currently have is not going to be used to anywhere near that light, so I'll have to come up with an action plan, which will probably involve starting the light on really high, and then dropping it weekly. Ahead of myself here, still need to get a cycle, still need to break in bulbs. 

26270497229_1a137ec8f3_k.jpg

From the couch

24194358598_ae1f1664e2_k.jpg

26270496249_ddb1acf979_k.jpg

Ben's attention to detail really shone through on some areas that don't jump right to the eye:

24194358228_68789b284f_k.jpg

This is the front end of the stand that alligns with the lip of the tank. The silicone and glow in the dark powder was left in there from the piece of wood I passed along, and it's a subtle, but awesome touch.

Also, underneath the stand. It's not sanded, as it doesn't need to be, but I thought this was neat:

24194356658_3b0401a6c8_k.jpg

Also, Ben was super thoughtful about the stain, something light to match the dark floors, and something that would really make the live edge pop, which it certainly does. I usually try to keep things dark, so it was nice to step outside of my realm of comfortably and give it a shot. 

26270493529_f8b4a3f542_k.jpg

I'll get some better pictures with the light off, to reflect the stand and actual color.

Still to come: Drilling return. Drilling stand top for plumbing. Plumbing. Organizing sump area. Sand. Cycle. Transfer. 

I like the way that he attached the top to the frame. It allows those big slabs of wood that make up the top to freely expand and contract without stressing the base frame. 

Since you'll have a sump, what sort of ventilation will you have inside the cabinet to keep the risk of mold to a minimum?

I like the way that he attached the top to the frame. It allows those big slabs of wood that make up the top to freely expand and contract without stressing the base frame. 

Agreed. With the heat and cold, he explained it would allow the top to swell and shrink, like a floating floor. 

Since you'll have a sump, what sort of ventilation will you have inside the cabinet to keep the risk of mold to a minimum?

Good question. The entire back is open, which I'm hoping will be enough. The sump and ATO just made it, but they made it! 

Agreed. With the heat and cold, he explained it would allow the top to swell and shrink, like a floating floor. 

Good question. The entire back is open, which I'm hoping will be enough. The sump and ATO just made it, but they made it! 

With a plywood top, it's normally  not a problem. But you have those slabs of oak which will behave differently. 

The back open can certainly help. Just something to keep an eye on to make sure it doesn't become an issue.

That's gonna be a sweet setup. Start cycling those rocks.

Haha, thanks!

You know I'm on it. The rocks are already cycling.

Placed an order last night, waiting on the following:

One 35mm Drill bit (for the return)
One 3/4" SlipxSlip bulkhead (for the return)
1 55" length of 3/4 red tubing (for the return)
3 55" length of 3/4 red tubing (for the drain)
1 1" SlipxSlip gate valve (for the drain)
All the appropriate elbows (for return and drain)
4 felt filter socks, for the drain, don't know if this will be something I use continuously. 
20lb bag of Fiji Pink Sand. I went with this as my usual go. I thought about doing black sand for a bit.
Neotherm 150W heater

Filled the tank up with saltwater and it's cycling the current rock. 

Looks fantastic! What happened to the last tank?

Sold it. I cycled it, hated the rock work, was having trouble with the dims, wanted something just a tad larger. Hopefully this will keep me entertained. 

Started drilling the stand today. I hate it, but plumbing has to go through. Scratched up the glass around the return drilling for a bulkhead. Kind of ticked, but is what it is, only noticeable to me, every time I look at it, or think about it. 

Also, mounted the extra XHO reefbrite I had above the sump. It's 50/50, so I guess I'll try a fuge and see what happens. 

155f114820f938ee0ab0f7cee791c7ed.jpg