Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

Here it is. A Mr. Aqua 22 Long

Since this is taking up a big chunk of preparation, I figured I'd document the whole thing.

17e9c365a518432eb06b507763b459e5.jpg

Mr. Aqua was originally run on an internal overflow box from Oceanbox Designs. Looking at all the real estate it took up, I quickly decided I wanted to run an overflow box and have a sump. I also knew that the space I planned on keeping it, was begging to be setup as a peninsula.

A run down of equipment:

Lighting - x2 IT2040's (I've used the IT series before on an old 150, and was incredibly successful with them. I would have preferred an IT2080, but these two next to each other will literally cover every inch of this tank.

Sump: Sump will be a Trigger Systems Ruby 36

Flow: The surface will be skimmed from an Eshopps Eclipse S overflow box. I have not decided on a return pump yet. I will start with the return and x1 MP10. I think I might end up adding 1 more MP10, depending on what I'm growing, starting with softies, so it wont be needed yet. I have not yet figured out what return pump I will be using.

Filtration: I'm planning (this might change) on using an Avast Skimmer. I've used the CS1 and CS3 with great success, but will see. I won't need to run a skimmer for a while. I also plan on using physical filtration as well with a sponge from the refugium to the return. I have never run a refugium before, will see if I do or not. The sump is designed to hold filter socks, they seem like more trouble than they are worth, so also up in the air.

Stand: Ben A of WAMAS is going to build my stand, and has been a pleasure to work with. Even going to use this old piece of Red Oak from my last attempted project to use as the lip. The plan is to have a piece fit my space almost exactly, with just enough room for the sump and my ATO container.

221ba2c1a52c3f3a21b30a9995bd9aee.jpg

347f7766ae15015e3fa17a941da12f19.jpg

4ab21cb93b34634d7cd1619dfeba3daa.jpg

df33f0499d29c62ace4527ae11b5fd6c.jpg

Near future: Possible Apex.

This is where the tank will go:

c316a96494c6a1bd9ae3caba2e8a0397.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This would interesting .. tagging along

That's mine mr Aqua

b13b634f8201cf6854ad1ac4eba83a81.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would interesting .. tagging along

That's mine mr Aqua

Neat! They are great looking tanks. I've got big plans! Overflow ordered today. 

You know your gonna want a bigger tank haha

You know your gonna want a bigger tank haha

No space for anything past this size. I wish, but this will be the perfect tank for the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lmk when your ready for some sps frags. Ill hook you up when your in winchester again

Lmk when your ready for some sps frags. Ill hook you up when your in winchester again

I'll be visiting you for sure. 

Looks good !  Following along ....

Great to have you here!

This is going to be awesome, can't wait to see it come together!

Makes two of us!

Cool, this should be a fun tank!

I'm hoping, it's a little ridiculous, but those are the best kind of things. 

So I've been chatting with Ben, and he's going to split the piece of Red Oak that I have in half, join it together with a piece down the middle, and have that be the entire top. This will be fantastic, because it'll keep the bark on the edges, providing a bit of a rustic look. I'm really looking forward to the finished product, and starting to get super jazzed up about this tank becoming a reality. 

Yesterday I saw a members tank who had a Mr. Aqua, with an Eclipse overflow S on it, and it looks perfect. They had a hard time finding reviews as well, so it was assuring to see it in person. I'm less concerned about drilling now, and confident this will be the final solution. 

Be careful with leaving the bark on. I've seen lots of carpenters take it off to prevent rot. 

It's like the final layer of bark, it's been scraped off with a wire brush, but it's not like a plank, if that makes sense? Pictures when it comes will do it justice, or you can reference the link to the project above with it. It looks exactly the same 2 years later kept in a garage. 

Ordered the overflow yesterday, won't come in until Friday. Threw my shoulder out yesterday, so will probably wait to drill until early October. 

In the meantime, I've got to figure out how I'm going to hang my lights. Do I find some way to bracket 80/20 to the brick wall and run it out 4'? Lighting bar? Hood? The big questions!

It's like the final layer of bark, it's been scraped off with a wire brush, but it's not like a plank, if that makes sense? Pictures when it comes will do it justice, or you can reference the link to the project above with it. It looks exactly the same 2 years later kept in a garage. 

I think I do. I just watched a video from samari carpenter do a table with a "live edge". I think that's what you're talking about. I love that look.

I think I do. I just watched a video from samari carpenter do a table with a "live edge". I think that's what you're talking about. I love that look.

Yes. That's exactly what it's called. Live edge. Just did a Google search. 

This is going to be excellent..

following along

Glad to have you here! I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint. 

tapcons are what you want to connect to the brick wall.

tagging along.

Yeah, I've used tapcons for my cement ceiling, but the thing with the wall is that it's not solid brick. It's the brick flats, cemented onto the wall, which is made of plaster and lathe. Now the stuff is strong, I've got my 60" tv mounted into it, but I'm wondering if an anchor would be better?

I'm also debating what to use. Obviously the rest of the build will be super clean, so I want to make sure it matches. Alternativly, I could use a hood with the lights mounted inside (like my old 150) and just mount the hood from the ceiling. 

Alternatively, I could just mount the lights from the ceiling and call it a day. 

lights from ceiling.

Yeah. I wish I was running one light instead of two. 36" x 12" is a weird lighting arrangement.