Local rockville store today

Dxo6669

Looking thru tanks and this is what I'm seeing, the part that really gets to me is when I am talking to the staff about the issues they have no clue and no care, I wish there was a way to prevent this.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Was the store called congressional aquarium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the only LFS in Rockville, if you exclude regular pet stores.

There have been complaints about this place for years and years. They do have a lot of little spare parts and plumbing things, but I would not buy livestock there.

These were the pics I took, there were also three dead sea horses and countless things that looked sick dead and zero help from congressional employees8b930c7a4e362f8e520b8a15f2829749.jpg596e9466c837ae901535e36a265a30d2.jpgc54b4cb15a5754989eb0ab356eb57f83.jpg802b4bf784732e76b5d559cf82838a87.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just made it through yearly circut of fish stores. Added congressional to the list and was not impressed. Such prime retail space going to waste. An hour south you can travel a little "reef circut" I came up with and hit a new reef store every 15 minutes. Not one had sign of ich or dead fish.

Note: Even though I wasn't impressed Andy (employee) was pleasant to talk to.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Edited by daltonx13

Just made it through yearly circut of fish stores. Added congressional to the list and was not impressed. Such prime retail space going to waste. An hour south you can travel a little "reef circut" I came up with and hit a new reef store every 15 minutes. Not one had sign of ich or dead fish.

Note: Even though I wasn't impressed Andy (employee) was pleasant to talk to.

Could you post your "reef circuit?"  If its not too much to ask, could you also add notes about them.  I would be interested in trying it out, and i am sure others would as well.  

Thank you!

Could you post your "reef circuit?" If its not too much to ask, could you also add notes about them. I would be interested in trying it out, and i am sure others would as well.

Thank you!

It would be my pleasure! I have copy and pasted the Google map directions. Unfortunately I forgot about Dutchmans Reef when making my initial circut and did not visit there store.

Blue Ribbon Koi- Not on my circut (because I visit him on my way to WV all the time). Add him to yours you won't regret it. Best all around when it comes to fish and coral this guy has it. Everything is clean and his displays are something you can get lost in. Good relationship with Sustainable Aquatics for all your captive breed needs

Dutchman Reef- not visited. Always posting fish online. Would love to hear what someone actually thinks of this guy.

Reef eScape- Best fish monitored by a vet offers to order anything you need.

Centreville Aquariums- just something to see. Not current on reef trends.

Capitol Aquariums- Best Coral (fish are good too) Enjoyed talking to Chris and Dan

Quantum Reef- Under remodel preparing to expand his coral selection. Will be a very good upgrade if he does it right. Owners always in house and happy to talk. Not many fish. Aggravating to see NFS on corals not in a display tank.

Shared route

From the dutchman's reef to Quantum Reefs via VA-286 S/Fairfax County Pkwy.

1 hr 47 min (54 mi)

1 hr 30 min in current traffic

Avoiding tolls

1. Head northwest

2. Turn left onto VA-1794

3. Turn right onto VA-637

4. Turn right onto VA-7 E

5. Use the right lane to take the Fairfax County Pkwy S ramp

6. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for 286 S/Fairfax County Pkwy

7. Use the right lane to take the US-50 E/Lee Jackson Memorial Hwy ramp

8. Turn right onto Jermantown Rd

9. Use the middle lane to turn left onto US-29 N

10. Arrive at location: Reef eScape

11. Head east on US-29 N

12. Turn right onto Hallman St

13. Turn left to stay on Hallman St

14. Turn left onto Fairfax Blvd

15. Continue straight onto US-29 S

16. Continue straight to stay on US-29 S

17. Turn right

18. Continue straight

19. Turn left

20. Turn right

21. Arrive at location: Centreville Aquarium

22. Head southeast

23. Turn left toward US-29 S

24. Turn right toward US-29 S

25. Turn right onto US-29 S

26. Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto the VA-28 S ramp to Manassas

27. Turn left onto Commerce Ct

28. Arrive at location: Capital Aquarium

29. Head northwest on Commerce Ct toward Centreville Rd

30. Turn right onto VA-28 N/Centreville Rd

31. Turn right onto VA-620 E/New Braddock Rd

32. Turn right onto the Fairfax County Pkwy S ramp

33. Merge onto VA-286 S/Fairfax County Pkwy

34. Continue straight to stay on VA-286 S/Fairfax County Pkwy

35. Use the left 2 lanes to turn slightly left onto Franconia-Springfield Pkwy

36. Take the VA-617/Backlick Rd exit

37. Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto VA-617/Backlick Rd

38. Turn left onto Brookfield Plaza

39. Arrive at location: Quantum Reefs

For the best route in current traffic visit https://goo.gl/maps/yHwKyA1aNK52f06c2b1e9c4833455c3cc6cdbbe58062.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's truly sickening to stroll through the reef section of Congressional. It's said when Petco actually takes better care of their tanks. They're not horrible when it comes to the freshwater portion of their store, which is most of it though. I'd love to see them stop selling saltwater fish and coral and make it all freshwater.

It's truly sickening to stroll through the reef section of Congressional. It's said when Petco actually takes better care of their tanks. They're not horrible when it comes to the freshwater portion of their store, which is most of it though. I'd love to see them stop selling saltwater fish and coral and make it all freshwater.

Regarding freshwater there, the shop has a history of the selling tortured/mutilated fish. Some folks feel that it is inhumane and even immoral to support such treatment of pet fish. I believe that is how Congressional initially brought a bad reputation on to itself, which included some people to start a boycott of the shop.