Warren's Crystal Dynamic 220

wangspeed

Sorry for the lack of updates. I’ve been through some minor issues including a bryopsis outbreak that I treated with fluconazole. Here’s something rare that’s currently in QT

bbd365b5faccd2db16b497f9ffedd8ab.jpg

3 little ventralis anthias. Along with 2 red saddleback anthias.

I’ll try to take some pics or a video update soon

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, wangspeed said:

Sorry for the lack of updates. I’ve been through some minor issues including a bryopsis outbreak that I treated with fluconazole. Here’s something rare that’s currently in QT emoji3.png

bbd365b5faccd2db16b497f9ffedd8ab.jpg

3 little ventralis anthias. Along with 2 red saddleback anthias.

I’ll try to take some pics or a video update soon

How did the fluconazole treatment work out? Any adverse effects?

Nice. Good luck with the ventralis. I tried and all 5 of mine died within 1 week in QT.

2/3 are eating like pigs. I can’t tell about the third. I’m going to do a copper treatment on them and them move them to my observation tank. They’re so small, I’m afraid they will be harassed in the big tank by my long nose hawkfish,
Or they might just get sucked down the overflow!

Hoping they work out. I have always wanted some.

How did the fluconazole treatment work out? Any adverse effects?

No I’ll effects. Alkalinity consumption slowed about 10%, based off what I have my calcium reactor peristaltic pump set to. I dosed extra. 7 grams into what’s probably 250 gallons of water, but I left my skimmer on and also turned my UV back on after a week or so. I have opportunistic dinos in my tank. If I leave the UV off and the conditions get just the right kind of wrong, dinos start forming.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had some minor setbacks from time to time, but the tank and corals are mostly thriving and growing.

f1538f49c070e821826c647a3d04b600.jpg

d626e00c29825dbafa426510dd7777da.jpg

26ea154ccdb291898f5e96aca2368e48.jpg

The biggest reoccurring problem I have is ostreopsis ovata dinos. As a result, I always keep my UV flow set right, and I run microbubbles in my display 5 minutes per hour.

I’m also up to 7 GHL Mitras over the tank. I have more even lighting as a result. The sandbed is about 300 par. Low rocks are 325 or so. The peak is about 450, but that’s only in limited areas. Most of the acros are in 350-400 par. The only problem I had with this level of all LED lighting is some UV burn that would occur in some corals, but not others. Here’s a sample UV burn

71f50d41a38158820808af8d6330752f.jpg

I had to add some additional cooking to the upper cabinet, due to the 2 extra lights. It was causing the temp to run hot in the cabinet, and of the water. I used 140mm Be Quiet fans. They are nearly silent, and the water temp is noticeably down.

946b3179ab4b10ad5e9a9a1333ce6fc5.jpg

That's crazy on the UV burn. I have that happening to some of my higher end montis, my first ever witnessing of this. Unfortunately for me, they are already on the bottom of the tank, so only option I guess is move over to the sides. 

That's crazy on the UV burn. I have that happening to some of my higher end montis, my first ever witnessing of this. Unfortunately for me, they are already on the bottom of the tank, so only option I guess is move over to the sides. 

So what happened for me is that I had accidentally setup a time period during the day with max 385nm UV for multiple hours. And the overall intensity was set to 100. Oops. I can do this just fine with the other blue/violet channels, but not the 385. Even green slimer at the bottom of the tank was showing burned sections. The coral in the pic was near the top of the rock work. I moved it down and it’s recovering now.

• 1 month later...

I went on a business trip and I came back to a missing rhomboidalis fairy wrasse, small foxface, and sunburst anthias. No evidence left I started from dry rock so I can’t imagine something like a bob it.

The rhomboidalis could be a result of fighting with the pintail fairy. The others I’m not sure. I see some of them have damaged mouths. Maybe due to jumping into the cover or fighting. I feed 2/3 times a day, but when I’m out of town, it drops to once a day.

• 8 months later...
Time for in update man!

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve definitely had a lot of ups and downs. The tank is stable now and things are returning to normal. Cyclic dinos, that I think are tied to die off when I dose fluconazole once in a while. I’ve also proved it’s possible to have both high nutrients AND dinos. Super fun there. 

Anyways, the fuge is back on track and is wiping out nutrients faster than I can put them in, which is great. Colors are coming back, but some things have weird green colors from high phosphates, while others are just growing like gang busters. 

I changed jobs about 7 months ago and have been super busy since then, so I haven’t paid as much attention to the tank. Apparently that strategy is starting to pay off. 

I’ve had all manner of nuisances in the last year. Dinos, super wiry red turf algae, and now I am happy to say I just have hair algae in a few spots. Mostly on pump cables and a few spots on the bottom. I’ve decided it’s not with messing with, other than to pick it off once in a while. 

I’m at capacity for fish. Hard to say that! Each time something goes in now, it just causes too much chaos in unexpected ways. Not even the normal intra species bickering. I added a beautiful male Watanabe to my existing collection of 2 females. The larger female because super aggressive and turned male within a month. The male I put in started losing his stripes. Along with this, my potters leopard wrasse went mad and started to bully the meleagris. I had to rescue her. She’s been in sand for almost 2 months with only a few minutes out, only to get harassed. 

Oh, also had Monti eating nudis. What a pain. They are tough! I took out almost all the montis except for a few choice frags and toothbrushed everything on rocks, or buried it in sand. Pouring 3% peroxide on the drags every few days did the trick. 

I’ll try to take some pics and videos soon. 

Wow, this tank has really been a ride for you! I'm looking forward to the videos and photos, always great to see growth!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow I missed this video.  Tank looks like it’s ready to just let take off.  Sorry you had so many pest issues man, I wonder if one of these big vendors is letting them through or if they came from hobbiests. I have had decent luck this time so far.  Let me know when the blue matrix grows big enough to share. 

• 1 month later...

System coming along nicely.  Gotta love the performance and growth that those Mitras are producing.  GHL is starting to grow on me more than I thought it would.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

MattV Hot Mess

DSCF1879

Unknown, starting to pick up some interesting colors

DSCF1931

I rarely see this flagtail goby, and his tiger pistol shrimp. It took them almost a year to find each other in my tank!

DSCF1338

My melanarus that is super hard to photograph. Always on the move

DSCF2147

Lineatus and pink margin. I think they're a little over rated on price. Pink margin wrasses are really nice too

DSCF2235 DSCF2252

A must have fairy wrasse for me

DSCF2174

Morning yawn

DSCF2022

Yellow belly regal ready to nip at some algae

DSCF1771

Cleaner wrasse

DSCF1968

Got this center acro from @GraffitiSpotCorals. Confetti to the right. Unknown to the left (grows like a weed!)

DSCF1915

ARC Fireworks

DSCF1874

RMF Superman Stag to the left, mariculture to the right

DSCF1884