Warren's Crystal Dynamic 220

wangspeed

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch. I think a leopard wrasse took my RMF Acid Trip frag to bed as a pillow. It’s nowhere to be found. I can’t go digging around since everyone is asleep now. Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Upgraded my calcium reactor regulator. I wasn’t able to dial it in to low enough levels before. Now the solenoid stays open for a few hours, which I like because I can adjust the PH level to increase dose as needed instead of changing the flow through the peristaltic pump.

The big change is the low flow needle valve and the low pressure gauge that reads at a much lower scale. I can now accurately set it to 3 psi.

466fd1454f1b73f7ca9ab655794cedd9.jpg

This needle valve is really nice. Also way pricey. If I knew I was going to be in this deep on the regulator, I might have started with the carbon doser. It is what it is though, and the system now works incredibly well.

That’s super clean. 

Thanks! It was a giant mess before. Half the room is also our storage room for the house. My stuff had spread to the other side and vice versa. I’m hoping it will stay organized now.

• 2 weeks later...

Re-scaped. I have a lot more places for coral now.

29ce7b7b4432dc0a995d6a8439a85e09.jpg

Up close with my rhomboid

923516eb4646925b00f45679e0d269bf.jpg

Tough to see, but I added floating shelves. The overall look was definitely inspired by [uSER=31993]@d2mini[/uSER]

e498037878dde40c3a8e82d9de7b462d.jpg

Here’s a brighter picture

d7d5db2df705fd11778b231947d4ecfa.jpg

70d033877cd5fd089a248c217b8d1e14.jpg

Looking good! Now you've just gotta wait for everything to turn into colonies! 

Looking good! Now you've just gotta wait for everything to turn into colonies! 

I know! I’m really excited about my acros. The ones that have been in longest are really starting to color up nicely.

Nice. Did you order it or make it yourself? 

No. 3D printing seems like something I would like. If I had the time and energy for another hobby.

Please tell more about the buttons!

They are buttons wired to the IO port on one of my Apex Neptune PM1 modules. I have the buttons programmed to do certain actions. Like shutting off flow pumps, skimmer, return, etc.

The toggle switches are set to turn things on and off until they are flipped back. The momentary buttons are used to start timers for things like feed timers.

If anyone wants contact info, LMK. It was $65.

What a build! Your buttons are brilliant. I’ve said to at least two other reefers in the past we need an “oh sh*#” button on the wall next to the DT.

I’m hoping Alexa and Siri are coming into the picture soon for Apex. “Hey Siri-feed the fish” :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What a build! Your buttons are brilliant. I’ve said to at least two other reefers in the past we need an “oh sh*#” button on the wall next to the DT.

I’m hoping Alexa and Siri are coming into the picture soon for Apex. “Hey Siri-feed the fish” :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There’s already Alexa integration for Apex. I don’t really want to run Alexa or Google in my home.

I’ve had a few questions now about the box from various folks. Here’s a picture that might help.

5ba34f40f774a869881a3fab00e7f9aa.jpg

It runs to an IO port, like a breakout box would, but there’s no need for a breakout box since the switches are already integrated.

I’ve been using it quite a bit in the last week. I really enjoy having these physical buttons.

Seems like a reverse breakout box idea. 

Breakout box: gather on/off signals from devices and send those to the Apex to control

This box: take different signals being controlled by the Apex and attach physical buttons to them

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a few setbacks. The first is the most devastating. My yellow belly regal died. I’m not entirely sure what happened here. He didn’t eat as vigorously. Maybe because my other fish are just too aggressive at feeding time. So I upped the frozen clams to twice a day. I didn’t think he was skinny at all, but I found him one morning not coming out for food and he got worse and I lost him by that night

The other setback was that my phosphates bottomed out and hit 0 despite feeding tons of frozen food twice a day. I made the mistake of increasing the fuge light an extra hour or so of runtime and it really just eats nutrients like crazy. That caused a tiny bit of dinos to pop up, which caused my first STN event in this tank. I lost a PC Superman, which kept falling and getting blown around, and a few small frags are really questionable right now. Everything else is recovering after a calculated dose of trisodium phosphate.

Here’s the nutrient destroyer.

f39716f032195197fade731dd44bc3fd.jpg

9ddc648403dafb910bcf56256f7936e1.jpg

Woof. Sorry about the regal. You've been grabbing quite the collection, I'm hoping to catch up with you, but I can't grow cheato like that for the life of me! 

Sorry to hear that! Heartbreaking that it happened so quickly too. 

What size white flex tubing are you using in the last pictures? Have you been happy with it?

On the right side, that is a 2” flex PVC. It leads to a flow sensor and the. Up to a split where I run 2 1” pipes for the return. I really like flex pvc. It is much more forgiving than solid pvc in terms of how carefully you have to make all the angles and connections, since it can just bend.