Warren's Crystal Dynamic 220

wangspeed

Did the hospital grade AFCI/GFCI solution work? Where did you get them?

Several years back, I had a problem with certain power strips that had built-in inductive (noise) filtering. Whenever my T5 lamps came on, the GFCI would trip. When I went around the inductive filtering (actually, I stripped the hardware out of the long power strip), the GFCI stopped popping. That's why I asked the question.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the hospital grade AFCI/GFCI solution work? Where did you get them?

Several years back, I had a problem with certain power strips that had built-in inductive (noise) filtering. Whenever my T5 lamps came on, the GFCI would trip. When I went around the inductive filtering (actually, I stripped the hardware out of the long power strip), the GFCI stopped popping. That's why I asked the question.

The hospital grade receptacles are GFCI only. So far so good. The one above the tank was a pain to replace, because I have a crowded shelf with a lip in front of it. In retrospect, ceiling hung receptacles would have been nice there, if that's even allowable by code.

I'm curious on what fans you put in your canopy, and how quiet are they?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm curious on what fans you put in your canopy, and how quiet are they?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use an AC Infinity controller with 2 of their fans at low speeds. The fans themselves are super quiet, but adding the grills on the outside cause noise. No easy way around this short of reducing the speed, which is what I do.

The very top of the cabinet gets to about 95F, if I run insanely bright schedules. With par around 150 at the sandbed it’s about 85F.

There is also a continuous inline fan running to exhaust air out of the canopy area to the outside of the house.

...ceiling hung receptacles would have been nice there, if that's even allowable by code.

Receptacles in or on the ceiling are allowable per code.

• 2 weeks later...

I think perhaps I need to start a build thread for my very strange invert QT tank. I’m getting all sorts of strangeness in here. I practically screamed What this morning when I looked in and saw a little fish staring back at me!!! It’s too little for me to tell what kind of fish it is.

I’ve had some other strange creatures in here too.

a6f9845213a88aa1a2ffbf8be44415cf.jpg

This thing looks like a pill bug that mated with the moth from Silence of the Lambs:

387b08cfd465348ed88afb59234ff829.jpg

There’s this strange centipede like isopod

685e4cee1defea3342dfb121ba6d0d1b.jpg

[MEDIA=youtube]aVpIHN4ldfA[/MEDIA]

The fish resembles some sort of dartfish. They often hide in holes or burrow in the sand, under rocks. But, it's hard to really tell because most of the fish is hidden and the part that's not is just not detailed enough.

The second picture looks like an isopod - a fish parasite. To the right is an amphipod. It's a good critter.

Finally, the last looks to me like sn amphipod that's swimming. The leg-pairs per segment are unlike a shrimp or a lobster, where the legs mostly come off of the thorax area. The shape of the tail end and the way it's all stretched out is just unlike any amphipod that I've seen, though.

The fish resembles some sort of dartfish. They often hide in holes or burrow in the sand, under rocks. But, it's hard to really tell because most of the fish is hidden and the part that's not is just not detailed enough.

The second picture looks like an isopod - a fish parasite. To the right is an amphipod. It's a good critter.

Finally, the last looks to me like sn amphipod that's swimming. The leg-pairs per segment are unlike a shrimp or a lobster, where the legs mostly come off of the thorax area. The shape of the tail end and the way it's all stretched out is just unlike any amphipod that I've seen, though.

This little fishy messed up my QT cycle for the invert tank. Not sure what I'll do now. He's too small to put anywhere else. Honestly, I'm surprised the filter hasn't sucked him up. He must have come in as an egg on the macro algae.

The 2nd pic is a strange looking isopod. It doesn't have the big eyes that the parasitic types are known for. Either way, he's gone.

The last one, someone on R2R said it looked like something from the Idotea genus.

I had to look it up, but Idotea is classified under the order Isopoda. So that one's an isopod.

Not all isopods have large eyes. It's funny that you mentioned pill bugs in your other post because they're isopods, too. Isopods have two sets of antenna on the head and 14 legs (7 pairs). The photo seems to show that (or pretty close). Not all are parasitic - that's true. It could just live on detritus. 

Not a dartfish.... Looks like a tiny tarpon. Lol.

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I’m finally going to get the calcium reactor going this weekend. Til now I’ve been dosing by hand as needed. Not too much is using up the big 3 since I have no corals or appreciable coralline.

5b8587bd74bf80271a05d7d28c7a01ec.jpg

Slightly nervous since I’ve never used one before. I’ve always used dosing pumps til now. Good thing is that there are only fish in the tank and I’ll have lots of safe guards on CO2 release.

It took hours to get this picture. He is super shy and is really tiny.

c558cd85dd071b3d7e9e85831e0e3017.jpg

Looks like a killie.  Maybe a mummichog.  

Nice. Do you have a photo of the 7 anthias together?

Sadly no, they really are not very cooperative photo subjects. 6 of them tend to hang out together behind a rock. The 7th lost an eye due to an injury. She wedged herself into a hole in QT when I tried to get them all out. Like she was seriously stuck! A few days later, her eye swelled up to grotesque proportions, and finally popped. She'll live as long as she keeps eating. It seems I always end up with a 1 eyed fish.

Nice! Your rock work looks very natural, I dig it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Very sweet. My next purchase is a lid.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I haven't posted updates for a while because I got hit first by cotton candy algae, like a massive crazy outbreak while I was on a work trip (of course). Then came ostreopsis dinos while the algae was dying off. The dinos came on strong, and very suddenly. I've finally beat them back. This is what I did:

• Dosing Vibrant once a week
  • Dosing Fritz Monster 460, Tim's Eco Balance, or Tim's Refresh every day that Vibrant wasn't dosed
  • Changing UV flow rate to 400 GPH for my 50W High Output Pentair
  • Adding turbo snails to clean up the dying red algae
  • Increased skimmer to 40W on my Bubble King Double Cone 200
  • Dosing potassium nitrate to keep at least 1ppm of nitrates
  • Micro bubbles 10 minutes/hour + 6 hours continuous overnight
  • Changing return flow nozzles

I think that last 2 really helped a lot. I noticed after I added the micro bubbles that a fair amount of the bubbles would go straight from the returns, get pushed by the pumps and into the overflow. This meant to me that a lot of the return water was also going straight into the overflow, so I changed the pattern significantly, which also boosted my return flow rate to about 4x display capacity. Just a few days later, they are all gone. Almost overnight. Really, it's quite amazing.

Curious. What did you do to add the microbubbles? 

I'd be interested in doing this in my tank as well, as I'm getting algae build up in places I know detritus is resting. I'm not getting enough flow over the rocks, because I blow on it with a turkey baster, and it just spouts up waste. BUT everything is growing, and looking really good, so I'm not looking to make changes to something that isn't really broken if I don't have to. 

A very small and quiet piezo based air pump connected to a wooden air stone which sits under my return pump.

Air pump. It’s the quietest one I could find!

3252af792b29f9ce65297b328bff8f84.jpg

Wooden air stone

ed46db7e24f47ed27c4aa9511e2246d0.jpg

What it results in when on

8999fec9ec266b0db0f48ce3db1815dc.jpg