Warren's Crystal Dynamic 220

wangspeed

I've been tankless since we moved to our new home in Dec 2015. Tough being away from a hobby you love, though my wife doesn't mind :) We planned on putting the tank in our basement, which was unfinished when we moved in, so the basement had to get built out. After many designs, we ultimately decided the basement wasn't the right place for it, and that the small office near our kitchen would be better.

I started contacting a few aquarium builders and ultimately settled on Crystal Dynamic. Some of them were from Lee Mar. Trent and Zoya run the show, and Trent seems detail and quality oriented, while Zoya was easy to work with, and helped answer my many questions. My tank and stand are built, but still need to be shipped out. In the meantime, I am amassing a huge amount of equipment that I don't really have space for since our basement is still not done, and my home office is a bit of a wreck, since I'm awaiting the tank to finish out cabinetry.

My collection of equipment so far:
  • Crystal Dynamic aquarium
    • 84'l x 28'w x 22'h
    • 3 sides Starphire
    • Starphire euro brace
    • Internal glass overflow (no room for external)
    • 5 x 1" bulkheads in overflow, in Bean Animal config + 2 returns
  • Precision Marine R48 Pro Plus sump
  • GHL Mitras * 5
  • Bubble King Double Cone 200
  • GEO CR624 Calcium Reactor
    • Fed by Watson Marlow 520Du pump
  • Reef Octopus Varios 8 return pump
  • Neptune Apex and many modules
  • Iwaki MD-40RT
    • pump rapid amounts of water from basement
And because this would be boring without pics:

The aquarium to be delivered in a few weeks:
36811449516_140efb219e_b.jpg

36999363195_a8cf607935_b.jpg

Calcium reactor parts:
36858888751_9e55d1cb2d_b.jpg

37000017645_df90498178_b.jpg

36602307130_0a8d060382_b.jpg

GHL Mitras LX7, closest look to MH from an LED that I have personally seen:
36812007306_65d2b982ee_b.jpg
Big box o gear near one of my other hobbies:
36602995800_f747b15311_b.jpg

Edited by wangspeed

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where the tank is going to go. The room is about 10' x 11'. I'll have to explain some of these pipes.

36999357575_1542280e96_b.jpg

Near the top:

• Tape over the hole leading to a radon fan to vent outside the house
  • dedicated 20A circuit above tank, Neptune apex cable, and a second outlet on the same circuit
Near the bottom:

• 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood as a base for the steel stand
    • lots of shimming to do, as the floor is very uneven clear.png

• Emergency drain for sump area
    • debatably useful. I may just seal it off if I can't find a good way to plumb this upwards to the sheet of ply in the stand

From left to right in primed area

• empty 1" pipe to basement area
    • rapid fill of RODI or NSW
    • re-purpose as chiller loop if needed

• dedicated 20A outlet
  • Neptune Apex cable leading to above aquarium
  • gray electrical conduit box that will be used to run 1/4" tubing for peristaltic pumps and another very long Neptune Apex run to basement equipment
  • repurposed vent stack that I can remove the vent cap (not in pic) off of and use as impromptu drain
  • 1/2" cpvc leading to soffit for skimmer air intake
  • another empty 1" pipe to basement area
Warren

I think I'm also going to cut a hole from the left side of the room into the mud room, and install an inline fan to pull air from the mud room to the cabinet area to help vent humid air out of the cabinet.

darn. Nice size :)

What's your plan for internal flow?

2 Maxspect Gyre XF280 to start with. I saw them on the Maxspect 8' tank and I couldn't hear a thing. No vibration either.

If that isn't enough I will mount 2 Neptune WAV pumps to the overflow. Neptune says the external magnet can be in water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looking good, Warren!

Put a good check valve on the output side of that CO2 regulator to keep saltwater from potentially backing up and damaging the works. (I've had this happen and it was an expensive lesson. I now use this check valve from AquariumPlants.com. I also use their recommended CO2-resistant polyurethane tubing. 

Looking good, Warren!

Put a good check valve on the output side of that CO2 regulator to keep saltwater from potentially backing up and damaging the works. (I've had this happen and it was an expensive lesson. I now use this check valve from AquariumPlants.com. I also use their recommended CO2-resistant polyurethane tubing. 

It's hard to see, but the check valve is attached to the CR, at the bottom of the bubble counter. Geos included it.

I haven't been sure on which CO2 resistant tubing to use though, so maybe I'll pick some up from AP. Thanks for the suggestion!

It's hard to see, but the check valve is attached to the CR, at the bottom of the bubble counter. Geos included it.

I haven't been sure on which CO2 resistant tubing to use though, so maybe I'll pick some up from AP. Thanks for the suggestion!

Make sure it's a good one and find out if there's a replacement schedule or maintenance schedule that you should employ. It plays such a simple role but failure can result in costly repairs. 

Yes, wouldn't it, though?

Failure of one cost me $120 to repair my Aquarium Plants Carbon Doser, not including another $100 for a backup regulator that I used while the Carbon Doser was being repaired.

I trust this'll be a promising system. Good to see a fellow GHL Mitras owner.

• 4 weeks later...

It was delivered to my home without any problems today, and Mighty Men Moving sent 4 guys to get it from my garage into the office. All done without a hitch! I will say that the most nerve wracking part was getting it off the truck. Even with the lift gate, it’s shocking to see some of it overhang the gate and have to press down the “safety flap” just to make room for it.

7f5d8a5481e68fcb9ae6588dc4570b05.jpg

Beautiful tank and good looking stand. If it's not done alrady, you may want to caulk the inside bottom and maybe build a small wall around that drain (?) so that, should there be some sort of leak under the tank that 1) it'll stay off that  nice floor and 2) there's time for a leak detector to sense the problem so you can take care of it before (1). 

Man your doing this one right! Good to see! Not that the old one was wrong though. Do you have plans for any at tanks or anything? Are you going to add only named frags from vendors? I would love to come help if you need any. Did you hook up the new water heater?

• 1 month later...

Had a scare that the sump wasn’t going to fit. Trent and I thought we could slide it in diagonally on the side and rotate it. Well, it’s too wide for that.

The very last hope was cutting off the cabinet mounting tabs and sliding it in vertically. That started to work, but then we got hung up on the board I had just put in place on the underside of the stand for mounting stuff. A little Hackzall action and we were good to go!

I was seriously thinking I needed to get a different sump for a while there.

74c4a97abacc338b32376c9da798dc70.jpg

efe15f7c7ae93c4f141b6e06adcbae4c.jpg

ae0fddf3f336591d15deea41ae4b2a08.jpg

df6bae472cef5931c1c1d2a29915113c.jpg

I siliconed and taped some areas to make sure the stand would hold water and allow it to go down the little drain, which is just barely uncovered still. I learned to tape the stand against the wall after my last tank, which was against the wall, but small splashes, fish, and other objects would inevitably sneak back into the little gap between the stand and wall.

• 4 weeks later...

I always wondered how people could manage to drag out their builds for so long. Yeah, now I am one of them. Slowly but surely making progress.

I definitely regret the outlet placement now, but it will do.

ec744752adc3550722bdf51368b1af96.jpg

• 2 months later...

I thought my sump layout was going to be pretty simple, but it looks pretty busy. Almost all done at this point. Just need to get the small tubes for constant water change, ATO from basement and CaRx done.

cf702d6f29525bc66c0322847444713c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Water making station is finally up and running. The quarantine and frag area is to the right.

ec92a0c228f73c24f4d28df9689e8c65.jpg