Uhhh help!!

Kreden

Something happened to my tank when I got home from work anyone got anyway to explain it looks like it snowed and a bunch of algae all on top of water and everything is white! Hair algae was there but it all has a bunch of bubbles ad6af1cbdda00f7160a401552c65ebe6.jpgbc0b557e723a7bb5e77906a485a4dcd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did your water level get low in your pump and blow bubbles in the tank? Mine does that when I get lazy about my ato.

Are you dosing some form of carbon (like vinegar, vodka, or some other product)? Or are you using some sort of plug-in air freshener using oily pthalates nearby? The film and gas bubbles on the glass pane and on other surfaces, and the rapid onset makes me wonder if you've got some form of bacterial bloom going.

The only time I have seen white all over is on a Kalk overdose in a LFS. Looked like it was snowing inside the tank. Killed all of his coral. Bacterial in my experience is whitish and stringy. Hope everything works out for you.   

So, you never answered the question about if you're dosing Kalkwasser. The white precipitate, if it's calcium carbonate, could come from abiotic precipitation caused by a kalkwasser overdose. However, all the bubbles would not be a symptom of that. Some bacterial films will generate a lot of gas. Some are stringy and some are filmy, and some are thick, gelatinous mats, and some remain suspended in the water column. There's really no "normal" presentation when it comes to bacteria. The algae die-off is yet another odd symptom. Bubbles on the algae and die off remind me of what happens when using hydrogen peroxide to combat algae. And, all the gas generation without loss of life is another wierd symptom.

It sounds odd alright.

So, you never answered the question about if you're dosing Kalkwasser. The white precipitate, if it's calcium carbonate, could come from abiotic precipitation caused by a kalkwasser overdose. However, all the bubbles would not be a symptom of that. Some bacterial films will generate a lot of gas. Some are stringy and some are filmy, and some are thick, gelatinous mats, and some remain suspended in the water column. There's really no "normal" presentation when it comes to bacteria. The algae die-off is yet another odd symptom. Bubbles on the algae and die off remind me of what happens when using hydrogen peroxide to combat algae. And, all the gas generation without loss of life is another wierd symptom.

It sounds odd alright.

I did reply saying I'm not dosing anything but using a two part reactor of carbon and gfo

Edited by Kreden

Ya this is a new tank so I'm running carbon and phosban

I did reply saying I'm not dosing anything but using a two part reactor of carbon and gfo

I misinterpreted, then. Sorry. The thread (post above) did not say that you weren't dosing anything, but did say that you were running carbon and phosban. 

So that rules out abiotic precipitation caused by kalk. 

What's the situation now in your tank?

Still seems to be still having die off but algae seems to be the issue but I didn't cure the dry rock and my tank is still fairly new

Edited by Kreden

So what symptoms do you still have? These are the ones that i see in your thread:

1) It looks like it snowed. Everything is white.
2) Bunch of algae on top of the water.
3) Hair algae has a bunch of bubbles.
4) Picture shows bubbles on the glass panes, too.
5) Picture shows zoas, euphyllia, and maybe a cyphastrea (or maybe a mushroom?) corals looking reasonably happy.
6) Today, tank still having die off but algae may be the issue.

Other facts:

a) You're running GAC and GFO only. No kalk. No (intentional) carbon dosing.

b) You didn't provide test parameters because it appears that you've not taken any yet (at the time of the post)

Is the "snow" still present? If so, did you ever try blowing it off with a turkey baster or checking it's consistency? 

What exactly is dying off? The algae? Is there anything about the algae that's unusual? Is it turning white? clear? Is it dissolving or wasting away?

Do you still see gas bubbles forming on surfaces? Is it only on the algae or on other surfaces, too?

How long has this tank been set up?

Any new additions to the tank? Fish? Rock?

What's your water source?

Do you have test kits and have you tested your water yet? If so, post whatever parameters you have.

Are you using any medications in the tank?