Bio cube refug help?

John-Solo

Hi, I have a 28gal bio cube that Iv been trying to set up a refug in the middle chamber but the chaeto keeps dying. The tank has been running for over 2 years. I have a media basket with sponge filter at the top, the chaeto in second, and carbon bag at the bottom. I got and LED light that clips on the back of the tank for the chaeto but after a few weeks it all starts to break down and stink. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the time schedule for your fuge light? I run fuge in my middle chamber with a submersible LED light ~ 16 hr a day and it doing great. Very simple to do maintenance, just pull it out take 10 seconds every 2~3 weeks.

What is the time schedule for your fuge light? I run fuge in my middle chamber with a submersible LED light ~ 16 hr a day and it doing great. Very simple to do maintenance, just pull it out take 10 seconds every 2~3 weeks.

Iv just been letting the light run 24h. So I'll set it up With a timer. See if that helps.

Make a chaeto reactor. The middle chamber is not a great place for a fuge. You will continue to have problems with it.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I'll look into that, is it difficult to make? Thanks.

are you dosing anything into the tank?

If you do such dosing, it could affect the cheato.

I am dosing talk currently and using middle chamber for cheato and don't have any issues with it.

Should be able to take care of nutrient export with water changes on that sized system, why do you want a refugium? 

are you dosing anything into the tank?

If you do such dosing, it could affect the cheato.

I am dosing talk currently and using middle chamber for cheato and don't have any issues with it.

No dosing but I'll occasionally use a PH buffer. just 5 gal WC with Brightwell neon marine salt.

Should be able to take care of nutrient export with water changes on that sized system, why do you want a refugium?

My phosphates are high and I'd like to try keeping SPS and start building more pods so I can get a madrain.

My phosphates are high and I'd like to try keeping SPS and start building more pods so I can get a madrain.

Get rid of your other fish and go fishless for a while. You can do SPS with high phosphates. You'll build up your pods and clean your water up. Then, add the mandarin after 3 months, perfect!

Man I like my fish to much to just get rid of them. Definitely don't have space for another tank. I like the suggestion though, go big and get it done.