Eclipse 2017 from Nashville

Origami

Here in Nashville with my youngest daughter... Taken from the monitor on my Canon....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5fd460329e8a414f6a2286eb7642f18c.jpg

Hey we are in gatlinburg, tn . We had to drive for 20 minutes to see the total eclipse but man was it worth it!!!! Most incredible thing I've seen. Very eery

Edited by sachabballi reef

Gawd. Traffic is horrible! Just got onto I-81 in TN. 10 mph. A nine hour drive will become 13+ by the time we're home. d18898a4850e7a2c2658f205711025d4.jpg

Gawd. Traffic is horrible! Just got onto I-81 in TN. 10 mph. A nine hour drive will become 13+ by the time we're home. d18898a4850e7a2c2658f205711025d4.jpg

Stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we decided to stay until morning for that reason. We are only 7 hours away.

we decided to stay until morning for that reason. We are only 7 hours away.

Smart. Danielle has a lifeguard interview at noon, and I'm leaving for New Orleans early Wednesday.

Just crossed into Virginia. Traffic has been moving well for about a half hour.

Drove 20 hours to south carolina and back, battled returning traffic jams just to see the 2.5 minute totality --worth every second of it. I've seen the Pyramids, of Egypt, Himalayas, active volcanoes, Eiffel Tower, etc. The totality was one of the top 10 most incredible things I've ever seen. 

Saw stars in the sky, a bat flew over but the coolest part was looking up at the total eclipse  --Indescribable. Tried to make a video but was just overwhelmed. 

I was under the impression that VA would have more than 82% "totality." 

Still neat, can't say I'm jealous of all the traffic. 

I made the same drive up out of Greenville, SC. Arrived home at 2AM, but totally worth it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got home at 5:45 AM this morning. Was glad to be home, but was totally floored by the experience. Here are a few select pictures. Check out the solar flare at the three o'clock position on the "diamond ring" image. Awesome. (These are select images from many that were taken using a timed exposure trigger.) Enjoy.

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

While I'm pretty sure that I didn't capture an image of the Space Station flying by, you can look at this image from NASA and see the same sun spots captured in the top image of my last post.

Many people farther north were wondering why it didn't get darker. I saw the "totality" and even the tiniest sliver of the sun can produce enough light to make it seem like "day time". Take your tank light outside on a bright summer day and hold it over the pavement. There is no comparison to the sun. 

Once the sun was totally eclipsed it got dark like night very fast   --in a matter of seconds. 

Many people farther north were wondering why it didn't get darker. I saw the "totality" and even the tiniest sliver of the sun can produce enough light to make it seem like "day time". Take your tank light outside on a bright summer day and hold it over the pavement. There is no comparison to the sun. 

Once the sun was totally eclipsed it got dark like night very fast   --in a matter of seconds.

Yeah, it was fast. I was prepared for that and told my daughter (and others that were with us) what to expect. Here are a couple more pictures taken by my sister-in-law. The picture of my daughter and I looking up and sharing the moment tugs at me. It's the reason I drove so many miles to share the moment with her before she heads off to college next year. Unfortunately, mom had to remain behind because of some training commitments she had with LCPS.

20170821_132900.jpg

If you look closely at this next picture, you'll see the aperture lensing effect where light passing between the leaves of a tree show up as crescents (showing the moon in front of the sun).

20170821_133615.jpg

I made the same drive up out of Greenville, SC. Arrived home at 2AM, but totally worth it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

81 is still crawling all the way thru VA. It's insane how slow this road is and how long this ride has been today. We still have 100 miles to go....but it was totally worth it to see the total.

81 is still crawling all the way thru VA. It's insane how slow this road is and how long this ride has been today. We still have 100 miles to go....but it was totally worth it to see the total.

Agreed! Safe travels.

Still? How crazy. Traffic was still pretty congested early this morning, but it was flowing along at a pretty good speed. Be safe.

Still? How crazy. Traffic was still pretty congested early this morning, but it was flowing along at a pretty good speed. Be safe.

Here is my take on it. It's been crawling since entering VA and there has not been one accident. The road has some good size hills and is really congested with truckers. I believe the problem is their constant slowing going down the hills and then picking up speed going up. They don't prevent them from using the left lane so it lags down both lanes.

They either need to exclude trucks from the left lane or add another lane.

Here is my take on it. It's been crawling since entering VA and there has not been one accident. The road has some good size hills and is really congested with truckers. I believe the problem is their constant slowing going down the hills and then picking up speed going up. They don't prevent them from using the left lane so it lags down both lanes.

They either need to exclude trucks from the left lane or add another lane.

We came up 81 and we hit a lot of stop-and-go as far as the north side of Roanoke (it started NE of Nashville). After that, it evened out and we were able to make at least 60 and often 70+ most of the rest of the way. It was the middle of the night, though, and that may have thinned out the traffic some as many might have headed for overnight accommodations.