Scrape from live rock = infection

aquamom

Sitting here in the ER with my 12 yo daughter right now. Yesterday I broke down my reef tank and was in the process of chipping some corals off of a large rock when my daughter sat down beside me and scraped her knee very superficially on the rock.

I told her to go clean it with hydrogen peroxide but of course she saw a squirrel and didn't go clean it right away and being a frazzled and distracted mother I didn't think about it again (assuming that 12 year olds actually listen to their mothers) until a little later on when she told me it was sore.

So, fast forward to last night, the knee is really starting to feel warm to the touch and is getting quite angry looking. So here we are getting checked out. I hope it's not to difficult to treat .

So my question is, who else has dealt with an infection from their tank? And anything I should point out to the doctor other than the obvious?

This is what it's looking like:

post-2636067-150264406342_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was on the rocks coral wise?

Zoanthids, acro monti etc

Never seen it get thay bad but if you had corals out sliming the area or a hydroid or something

Sorry hear. I haven't experienced anything like that. Hopefully it's just minor and heals quickly. Keep us posted and good luck.

Thank you! We got discharged with a prescription for Doxycycline and instructions to stay out of the sun which should be a challenge since we are going to the beach for a week or next weekend lol. It's just considered cellulitis right now unless it spreads anymore.

What was on the rocks coral wise?

Zoanthids, acro monti etc

Never seen it get thay bad but if you had corals out sliming the area or a hydroid or something

I had a colony of zoas on there and in the back a patch of the dreaded green palys had started a little bit. She didn't scrape it on that side they were on but still, who knows what could have made it's way over the rock.

Mycobacterium Marinum is not uncommon and can cause painful swelling and redness. Can cause other problems if not treated. I'm sure that your doctor considered it as it's rather common.

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk

Edited by Origami
Corrected autocorrected spelling of Mycobacterium