Bad experience with pacific east aquaculture seahorses.

oscar

I've bought seahorses at pacific east aquaculture in two occasions and both have been bad experiences.

Poorly packaged and poorly isolated for the summer days.

Last one, they packed two seahorses in a single bag, one arrived death and the other one died past few hours.

PEA has been a long-time sponsor of WAMAS and the people that breed and raise the seahorses are frequently at our meetings. Have you tried working with them on this? How long were the ponies in transit? Were they delayed in shipping? Were you home to receive them?

(edited)

No refund.

They arrived in the morning to UPS. Ive arrange pick up at the store to avoid transit and stress.

I wasnt able to pick them up at lunch time as I had planned, ended up picking them up in the afternoon, not much of a difference if I had arrange home delivery.

1st thing I've noticed opening the box, their insulation wasn't ideal for summer (only Styrofoam and newspapers).

Customer service said they stayed "too long in the box" but been a local store, the few hours should not cause the loss if properly shipped.

I have ordered seahorses before from california and florida with no problem, they have a longer transit but are properly shipped.

This is the 1st time someone ships two seahorses in the same bag!

I dont think that's a good idea since if one gets seek, the other will be lost too...

Also, their warranty asks clients to make the claim by phone AND email with pictures "within TWO hours of it being made available by UPS"

Not much room for error on their side....

I understand they had been in the market many years and some people like them but my personal experience hasn't been ideal and their warranty not my favorite.

Some may have had good experiences but I sincerely dont recommend them

Edited by oscar

I'm sorry for the losses. It's unfortunate.

I, too, have taken livestock deliveries at my local FedEx/Kinkos. But I do so (in part) because I'm often able to pick them up at 8:00 in the morning and take them home because I know that they've been in transit probably 15 hours by that time. If I were to wait until, say, 5 PM, then that timeline grows from 15 to 24 hours. This is regardless of where they're shipped from because the time's the same for overnight, priority shipments. Another reason for picking up at the carrier's is that it minimizes time that the box is in places without climate control. That's more important in the winter than the summer because the temperature differential is less in the summer. Even then, a winter shipment is normally done with a slow-release, long-lasting heat pack while summer shipments come only in the insulated box with water and air around the livestock. Having more water in the bag/box can help mitigate heat loss, too.

Again, sorry for the losses. If you're willing to give them another try and want to avoid shipping them, you can either head out that way on a weekend or pre-order them for delivery to a WAMAS meeting that they attend. The next one should be in Maryland and will probably be in about 2 months or so.

They can't sit in the mail that long. They don't have enough oxygen and ammonia will get them. I can't even get damsels to live if I wait till noon to pick them up

Funny? I understand your point but what folks don't realize is that this is our livelihood. Think about it, how many folks would like such reviews at their job and then have someone post a review solely to damage your reputation and harm your livelihood when you did nothing wrong. Not saying we are always perfect because no one is, but when we did nothing wrong and have to defend ourselves that goes to the reliability of online reviews in general. But, that's a whole different topic and no one really cares anyway.

Hi Oscar

We are sorry you had issues with your seahorse order.

These are the facts:

•You said this is the second time you had issues with us but our records show under your name this is the only order we sent you.

•Your order was sent as a hold for pick up to the UPS center.

•Your order was available to pick up at 7:21am according to UPS site

•We always do a courtesy call the day of delivery. We called you at 5:45pm and inquired why you hadn't picked up by that time.

•You picked up the box at 5:57pm according to UPS site.

•We have used the same packing methods and boxes for 18 years, including 1.5 inch thick Styrofoam and ice pack(s), newspaper, multiple liner bags, and multiple bags for each animal. We ship thousands of orders nationwide annually. We ship up to 6 seahorses per bag and have shipped over 10,000 seahorses both wholesale and retail with no problems.

•You contacted us via email with photos of your Seahorses still in the bag at 8:05pm according to Google time stamp.

•Despite these facts, we offered you a partial credit and sent you our cell number to communicate with us to resolve this to your satisfaction. You never communicated with us again and you decided instead to bash us here.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong forum to bash these guys and anyone else for that matter. The WAMAS community will call you out. Kyle is a good hard working guy. He is dedicatied endless hours to raising, breeding and shipping them healthy to the customer. Anything that is shipped to UPS holding facility should be picked up at the time of delivery. Period.

I would only delay pick up for: green star polyps and Kenya tree. That's about it.

Update, OP Oscar has initiated a charge back with his credit card company. We of course will present the facts. If we lose the dispute Kyle and Alyssa will be out the full amount. So, vendors and hobbyists alike take note. This is why prices are as high as they are, someone decides to pick up livestock and put it in their tank 13 hours after it's available to be picked up, during the hottest period this summer, and allows the animals to die and the vendor is on the hook for it. This is why extended guarantees are bad for our hobby. As a hobbyists you may feel a sense of protection, the truth is it breeds a thought of indifference--oh well no problem I'll be taken care of just put the fish away whenever, etc.

Im lost. How do you initiate a chargeback when it is completely obvious that the buyer(customer) is totally at fault. No seller in there right mind would guarantee something tgat was picked up 10 hours late especially something as fragile as seahorses. I really hope the customer does the right thing here. Im at a loss for words. This is common sense....

Any purchase can be challenged then it puts the vendor to provide proof. It's a normal process and they should Pacific should get paid. Some Credit card companies are more difficult than others but it seems clear the purchaser is at fault.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk