Fluval Sea Filter Modification

Brucenemours

So anyone who has a Fluval Sea Evo XII knows that the filter does not have the best design out there. I am currently playing around with a few options. Examples are a DIY media rack, or something like the InTank media rack. I do not plan on running the fluval skimmer so both chambers one and two are open to customization. Any ideas? I would like to see some completed projects and how they have worked out for you. Thanks!

-Bruce

Hey, I know we discussed this a bit on my tank build thread, but I neglected to ask if you have plugged the hole in the center of the AIO wall yet?  If you haven't, you will definitely want to do that. I have no clue why Fluval thought it would be a good idea to put a hole there.  It serves no purpose and just diverts flow from the over flow through your filter media. Once I finally plugged this hole I noticed a huge difference in the amount of water moving through the overflow. The filter floss I run in the first shelf of the media basket gets very dirty very quick now, so I know a lot of waste/detritus was getting in the back chambers through this hole. I just used a glob of coral/rock epoxy and its worked great. If you want something a little more aesthetically pleasing you can try to super glue it as well. 

I have not plugged the hole yet but I do plan on it next time I get some putty. I'm not sure why they do that either. My old fluval tank had the same hole as well and I plugged it.