Chasing Coral

Has anyone seen the documentary on Netflix called "Chasing Coral" yet? I just saw it and wanted to get your thoughts and opinions on it.

And holy smokes, at the 1:02:27 mark. I think that's a dersa clam? I knew they get big, but wow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just did. Well worth the watch. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jim

I really didn't know the coral bleaching was that dire. Really concerning. Any who, I'm not an expert in this nor a diver, I'm really interested in what yall seasoned folks think about the documentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was waiting months for this to air, although I knew it would be a bit depressing. Honestly I have more faith in corals adapting to the changing climate than man kind favoring an ecosystem they can't see over their creature comforts. I think we will kill just about all the coral reefs before a global change is made. The reefs will take years to recover and the surviving species will slowly sculpt the reefs of the future.

Perhaps they are trying to paint a more drastic image to inspire change. But it's a shame what an impact we have on nature's beauty that such a small portion of our culture is aware of.

i can't comment on how the ocean is as my SPS coral lives in only 300g of water. My corals (SPS) have bleached when I changed conditions or I get a new coral in the mail that bleaches soon after I get it. Or I changed them from one tank to another they can bleach. (Temps had nothing to do with the bleaching) Zooxanthellae are the symbiotic algae that live within the hard or stony corals that give it color and energy. They hopefully change out to a better more approprate zooxanthallae when changing tanks/conditions. But sometimes they don't and the coral dies. Anyhow I feel that the earth is overpopulated. And it's getting worse (population). None of us are having a positive impact on the enviornment. Every time we flush the toilet a portion of it is untreated and ends up in the ocean eventually. Every time we turn the fish tank lights and heaters on the earth is negatively affected. Heck the photographer was having fun boating with some guests on board and didn't realize the anchor had drifted. Who knows how much coral that drifting anchor destroyed. The clam is a giga clam. No longer imported to the US. However we have one for sale on WAMAS!!!! Since it was imported before the ban. It's huge and in the Washington area ;) at a Thai restaurant

I was almost in tears looking at that, especially when they put the time lapse together and you see all those corals just melt away.

Sadly i feel it will get much worst as the water temp continues to increase due the increase use of fossil fuel.

What can we as individuals do?

Start driving less and go solar.  The good thing is, with the increase in global temp, your solar panels will produce more electricity and you can save money that way.

Not sure if this was already posted but I saw this documentary the other day. It's about bleaching which is pretty sad, that being said the up close photography of corals was pretty amazing.. Definitely worth the time IMO. 

Not sure if this was already posted but I saw this documentary the other day. It's about bleaching which is pretty sad, that being said the up close photography of corals was pretty amazing.. Definitely worth the time IMO. 

Merged with existing thread.

Not to make light of a sad situation, but when my wife saw it she basically immediately told me to hurry up and start a new tank, lol.

• 3 weeks later...