Fintastic Aquariums

jbarre03

If you haven't been able to get out to Fintastic Aquariums in Frederick you need to. It's Fintastic . Awesome prices and great items. e76ffcafe91d427c4760980b73463f8c.jpgd092f44ea9e67ead5470d3e910c28d54.jpga025cd094330d605b9d7b1d55d9a5707.jpg3b9814f5060ff3948804bc8bd54752a1.jpgf37a06d4e8a3806ee52dfb0262daa43d.jpg4d0441ccae3427ee29807f2cc1af9a6b.jpg58e620748bef2942230bcf3fe3dc2408.jpg

This is Paul Mangus' (former manager for King of Corals) new venture, isn't it? Nice looking place.

For those wondering, Fintastic is at 1713 Rosemont Ave Suite C Frederick, Maryland, MD 21702. Phone number is (240) 815-6530. 

This is Paul Mangus' (former manager for King of Corals) new venture, isn't it? Nice looking place.

Yea it's Paul's new place! I think fintastic is a chain store though? It's a little smaller than the last place. But they pack in just as many fish and coral. The frag tanks are much nicer allow for better viewing and SPS looks very nice and healthy decent selection.

+1 on how great the store is. I've been going to Paul sine KOC and this new place is (as said above) "fintastic"!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as soon as I walked in I said is this place a member of WAMAS and that I wanted to take pics and post them. Very cool place. Had to force myself to leave but I didn't go empty handed

+1 on how great the store is. I've been going to Paul sine KOC and this new place is (as said above) "fintastic"!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only store I can also find with LRS in stock. Much easier then spending 30 bucks for shipping.

Yea it's Paul's new place! I think fintastic is a chain store though? It's a little smaller than the last place. But they pack in just as many fish and coral. The frag tanks are much nicer allow for better viewing and SPS looks very nice and healthy decent selection.

"Chain?" I don't know if I'd call it a chain. But, yes, they're in multiple cities. I know what you mean, though. I don't know if it's a partnership or a franchise or what. I remember Paul mentioning something about Jensen Beach (which is where my wife's late grandparents lived many years ago). I think there's a place up in New England, too. Anyway, after so many years of "managing" a store (and dealing with ownership restrictions), it's good to see him step out and have a little more autonomy. I wish him luck!

The only store I can also find with LRS in stock. Much easier then spending 30 bucks for shipping.

BRK also has LRS. Capital Aquarium, too. You can get it from Marco (ERC) as well. These are all WAMAS sponsors (unlike Fintastic - but I hope to be able to get Paul back so we can change that!)

Non-sponsors that are on the LRS map include Tropical Lagoon and Quantum Aquaria, closer in. And House of Tropicals up in Baltimore.

Yes, I have been to the store and they have great collection of Fish and super cheap prices on everything including accessories, filter socks, frozen food etc.

Only thing I want to mention though (which is universal) is that the fish are coming directly from the wild with little holding/QT so make sure you do a very good QT process and the fish may not be used to eating prepared food. 

BRK also has LRS. Capital Aquarium, too. You can get it from Marco (ERC) as well. These are all WAMAS sponsors (unlike Fintastic - but I hope to be able to get Paul back so we can change that!)

Non-sponsors that are on the LRS map include Tropical Lagoon and Quantum Aquaria, closer in. And House of Tropicals up in Baltimore.

Ill look into them too. Problem is Frederick is still about 45 mins from my house. I'm one of the random WV members.

... I'm one of the random WV members.

:laugh:  Random? Or Ranson?

Yeah, I know. I think WV is about 6 miles outside my door at home - the closest I come to the Eastern Panhandle part, that is. It's still a bit of a drive for me. 

as soon as I walked in I said is this place a member of WAMAS and that I wanted to take pics and post them. Very cool place. Had to force myself to leave but I didn't go empty handed

Iol I was stopping in to take a look. But they had so much nice stuff I left with goodies also

It's great that he has a store set up again.  It's a nicer place than the location for King of Corals. I love our sponsors, but being a Maryland person I am pretty far away from most of them.

I'm mad about the email I got, listing the blue gudgeons (I'm taking a fish break).

Good to see Paul is still around. I visited his first(?) shop Aquarium One quite frequently.

Since there is no QTing, does anyone know if there is any kind of return credit given for fish that die fast after leaving the store?

Do any LFS give return on credit for a dead fish?

Specifically for Fintastic there is no credit for a dead or sick fish once you buy it.

The prices are so cheap that you should take up those risk/costs and cost of QT'ing.

Not to compare vendors or vouch for any but I have recently been to reef escape  and seeing their 2 week QT process, its very solid and nothing gets sold before it goes through their cycle.

I know Marco's protocols are also set in stone.

If you've ever seen the "filter" systems that the Petco's use you wouldn't say that. ;)

Seriously though not sure why there's all the no QT hate, the whole QT thing is a relatively new occurance in the hobby as far as I can tell and while I like it I also have a QT tank and a full fish medicine cabinet so for me (and many others I would imagine) the QT is just extra cost for no gain. I don't trust anyone but myself to do QT so I'm going to QT the already QT'ed fish when it gets home anyhow.

Stores that QT provide us hobbyist options, which is good but it's not like stores that don't QT are bad or something like that. Understand what you are purchasing and act accordingly.

QT isn't really new. It's been a topic of discussion for decades.

A key benefit of QT at the LFS level is recovery from the stresses of shipping and the chain of custody. An extended stay in the hands of a knowledgeable professional can be the difference between a fish that lives or dies after making that last move into a novice aquarist's tank.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No QT means Petco is just as good...

No it's not. Even without qt, there are still handling and tender care that goes into the process. You should know this

• 3 years later...

Is Paul no longer the owner? It seems like it is now Jared Bawa. Their newsletters used to have Paul's name at the bottom, but that stopped back in June, and now it has Jared's name at the bottom. Also haven't seen Paul on any of their facebook posts/videos for a while.