Any Cheap LED recommendations for growing chaeto

Raj

Hi All, 

I needed some advice on getting a LED light for growing chaeto on my sump!

Currently I'm using daylight CFL bulb (5000 k) (I think its 12 Watt) which is not helping and I was thinking about getting a 12 Watt red 660nm LED light bulbs for growing flower from Amazon has any one have experience with using this type of light originally designed for plants

Money is always an issue so I need a cheaper alternate as well

Any advice would be highly appreciated

I use a black box  and my cheto is out of control, I literally filled two HD buckets last night to toss. Not sure what your definition of cheap is but I am also grow red mangroves under it at they are doing great as well. 

I use a black box  and my cheto is out of control, I literally filled two HD buckets last night to toss. Not sure what your definition of cheap is but I am also grow red mangroves under it at they are doing great as well. 

I got those Cheto's from you actually :) Cheap like below 20$ for 1 bulb 

I use this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GFWK69Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was using a CF from Home depot but i was not getting much growth.

Since i switch to this grow light, my fuge is packed with. In fact, i have to harvest some this week.

I use this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GFWK69Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was using a CF from Home depot but i was not getting much growth.

Since i switch to this grow light, my fuge is packed with. In fact, i have to harvest some this week.

I will do some research on this ! thanks for the hint

dpassar12- what is the "black box" you mentioned?

I think he meant something like Mars Aqua .. a Black Chinese Led light

I think he meant something like Mars Aqua .. a Black Chinese Led light

Oh ok.. got it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran a pair of 23w 6500k CFLs over my refugium the last year and had great results (recently switched to a Kessil H80 that is also working great but not exactly cheap). 

I ran a pair of 23w 6500k CFLs over my refugium the last year and had great results (recently switched to a Kessil H80 that is also working great but not exactly cheap). 

Kessil H80 seems to be great but yes its a lot of $$$ 

Kessil H80 seems to be great but yes its a lot of $$$ 

The 23w CFLs honestly work great. I tried the PAR38 type LED last year and dumped after two days because the spread on the light is terrible; some spots get no light and other spots get burned if you're any closer than about 16" from the macro algae. My opinion, they're a waste of money if your refugium is under a stand that is less than 36" tall. 

The 23w CFLs honestly work great. I tried the PAR38 type LED last year and dumped after two days because the spread on the light is terrible; some spots get no light and other spots get burned if you're any closer than about 16" from the macro algae. My opinion, they're a waste of money if your refugium is under a stand that is less than 36" tall.

I'll try to continue with cfl this Month let's see if I can grow them

(edited)

FWIW, cheap is not synonymous with this hobby.

You can buy any lamp that gives off the right spectrum that the plant needs in order to grow.

But if it's not growing under your existing light, there might not be enough nutrients in the water to allow it ti grow. Especially not if you stuffed a huge ball into the sump.  

What's the Nitrate and Phosphate levels? Do you have existing hair algae issues that may be pulling all the nutrient out first?

Edited by zygote2k

FWIW, cheap is not synonymous with this hobby.

You can buy any lamp that gives off the right spectrum that the plant needs in order to grow.

But if it's not growing under your existing light, there might not be enough nutrients in the water to allow it ti grow. Especially not if you stuffed a huge ball into the sump.  

What's the Nitrate and Phosphate levels? Do you have existing hair algae issues that may be pulling all the nutrient out first?

I don't have hair algae.. but I have started to get some bubble algae on my DT

I have not checked my Nitrate and Phosphate recently .. last time I checked my Nitrate was around 50 (API test kit) but with frequent water change, should have brought it down

I have heavy bio load for my 75 DT trying to catch some fish and transfer them to my 20 nano but that task seems impossible.

I will use the same cfl for another month and see. based on the fact that I have to clean out my skimmer cup every 2-3 days (around 100g type eShop skimmer) my nitrate must still be high !