Corals can live off their own light

It's weird the way it's written. the title implies that they're creating their own light from darkness. However, what they're really talking about is fluorescence. 

We've known about fluorescent proteins in corals for a long time now. It's one of the reasons that we run actinic lights to make some corals "pop" with color.

Dana Riddle wrote a nice article back in 2013 about them. But that only added to one that he started in a multi-part series back in 2006. By the way, looking at the photo credits from the 2013 story, you'll see that they come from UniqueCorals.com. This month's speaker is Joe Caparatta - owner/founder of Manhattan Aquariums and UniqueCorals.com. Nice coincidence.

It's weird the way it's written. the title implies that they're creating their own light from darkness. However, what they're really talking about is fluorescence. 

We've known about fluorescent proteins in corals for a long time now. It's one of the reasons that we run actinic lights to make some corals "pop" with color.

Dana Riddle wrote a nice article back in 2013 about them. But that only added to one that he started in a multi-part series back in 2006. By the way, looking at the photo credits from the 2013 story, you'll see that they come from UniqueCorals.com. This month's speaker is Joe Caparatta - owner/founder of Manhattan Aquariums and UniqueCorals.com. Nice coincidence.

"light from darkness". Not really what the article said. Deep water corals are taking what little sunlight there is hundreds of feet down and using it in the process of florescence to grow their own tissue.

"light from darkness". Not really what the article said. Deep water corals are taking what little sunlight there is hundreds of feet down and using it in the process of florescence to grow their own tissue.

True. However, the title did say "In the Deep, Dark Sea, Corals Create Their Own Sunshine." The implication of using the word "create" is what I took to be literary license. What's being described has been known for a relatively long time. As hobbyists, we've referred to it for years as "pop." 

But you're right, I was being liberal in the language that I chose as well. 

The article didn't go into much detail but if I understood, xooxanthelae's light produced by its own florescence is used for xooxanthelae's own photosynthesis?

The article didn't go into much detail but if I understood, xooxanthelae's light produced by its own florescence is used for xooxanthelae's own photosynthesis?

I didn't dig into it too deeply either, but my understanding from it and from other articles by other researchers in years past is:

1) Light becomes scarcer as you go deeper.

2) Blue light and short-wavelength light (UV) travel deeper into the water

3) There are fluorescent proteins manufactured in the tissues of these deepwater corals.

4) The fluorescent proteins absorb the short-wavelength light and re-radiate it as visible light

5) There are zooxanthellae in the tissues of coral that are photosynthetic

6) The visible light re-radiated by the fluorescent proteins is captured by the zooxanthellae to drive photosynthesis and thereby feed the coral

The main point of the article is that coral fluorescence is an adaptation to existence in deep water.