need to replace skimmer pump?

turbo2oh

I have an Aquamaxx ConeS CO 1 which has a SHARK 1.5 pump. I did a water change 2 days ago and turned everything back on. I didn't notice until yesterday that the skimmer never turned back on. After confirming it had power, I took the pump out, cleaned it, and it still won't turn on. While out of the water, turning it on, I can hear it hum and sometimes it starts to spin (maybe does a quarter or half rotation before it sticks again) but then stops. It wasn't very dirty but was pretty hot to the touch when I took it out to clean it. It does offer some resistance while turning the impeller myself and I can't remember if thats normal or not. 

Is it toast or is there something else I can try to fix it? 

Replacement pump is $140 and Marine Depot doesn't even have them in stock right now  Is there a better pump perhaps?

Thanks! 

If your skimmer sits in water, you can upgrade the pump to an atman ph2500. You will need to change the plumbing mount a tad and add 2 grommets.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

If your skimmer sits in water, you can upgrade the pump to an atman ph2500. You will need to change the plumbing mount a tad and add 2 grommets.

Nvm its the atman ph1100 that matches the flow rate and adds another 30lpm of air flow. The higher ph2000 would be the upgrade.

All the bushings are in place. I ordered a replacement impeller last night. I was reading that sometimes the magnet can swell and it doesn't spin as freely inside the housing anymore so hopefully thats it. Thanks for the advice about replacement pumps, hopefully it doesn't come to that especially after buying a new impeller.

All the bushings are in place. I ordered a replacement impeller last night. I was reading that sometimes the magnet can swell and it doesn't spin as freely inside the housing anymore so hopefully thats it. Thanks for the advice about replacement pumps, hopefully it doesn't come to that especially after buying a new impeller.

Well the best part is if the prop does not fix it and you buy one of the atman pumps, you still will come in less than buying the stock pump.

Try pulling the impeller and the shaft out and rotating the impeller on the shaft. If it binds, take the shaft out of the impeller and give both a long soak in vinegar. Try working the shaft in the impeller to get it to spin freely. If it still doesn't spin freely, try running a drill bit down into the impeller to give it a little more clearance.

Calcium can build up faster on warmer surfaces (such as the shaft and inside the impeller). This can cause the two to bind. Plastic can also swell a little. Both can be remedied with a good cleaning and reaming from a drill bit. I've done this and added life to some pumps. Now, if the magnet casing is swelling on the outside, there's not much you can do about that except get a new impeller assembly.

(edited)

I got my replacement impeller today and it definitely rotates more freely. However, upon starting the pump it doesn't immediately spin. I have to jump start it with a little nudge (I tested this with the impeller cover off. I was able to get it running using this method and basically putting the cover back on while it was running, and now my skimmer is back up and bubbling. The issue is, I'm not confident I can turn it off again and restart it without having to go through the process again. Also not sure why the old impeller was so swollen.

Edited by turbo2oh

I got my replacement impeller today and it definitely rotates more freely. However, upon starting the pump it doesn't immediately spin. I have to jump start it with a little nudge (I tested this with the impeller cover offer. I was able to get it running using this method and basically putting the cover back on while it was running, and now my skimmer is back up and bubbling. The issue is, I'm not confident I can turn it off again and restart it without having to go through the process again. Also not sure why the old impeller was so swollen.

Your experience reminds me of the one that I had with an old (SWC) skimmer that was equipped with a Sicce PSK2500 pump with a needlewheel impeller. It just would not reliably start after a power outage. I would routinely shove a chopstick in through the intake to give the impeller a nudge to get it restarted. Hated and cursed it. Other aquarists suffered the same frustration. Talking to Dan over at Avast Marine (who is a friend and who had no stake in the skimmer design), he told me that it might have been a problem with the needlewheel mass and clutch design, and the inability of the pump to get sufficient startup momentum to keep the impeller turning. The result was that it would stall. In that case, the PSK1000 was a more reliable replacement.

I don't know if this experience applies to your situation, but thought there were similarities between our stories. Do a little searching and see if there are others out there sharing the same frustration with the pump, If there are, it may be a design flaw. Try reaching out to the skimmer manufacturer, too. They may have some idea of what's going on.

Your experience reminds me of the one that I had with an old (SWC) skimmer that was equipped with a Sicce PSK2500 pump with a needlewheel impeller. It just would not reliably start after a power outage. I would routinely shove a chopstick in through the intake to give the impeller a nudge to get it restarted. Hated and cursed it. Other aquarists suffered the same frustration. Talking to Dan over at Avast Marine (who is a friend and who had no stake in the skimmer design), he told me that it might have been a problem with the needlewheel mass and clutch design, and the inability of the pump to get sufficient startup momentum to keep the impeller turning. The result was that it would stall. In that case, the PSK1000 was a more reliable replacement.

I don't know if this experience applies to your situation, but thought there were similarities between our stories. Do a little searching and see if there are others out there sharing the same frustration with the pump, If there are, it may be a design flaw. Try reaching out to the skimmer manufacturer, too. They may have some idea of what's going on.

Yep, that sounds exactly like what I was doing except I was using a screwdriver instead of a chopstick. I'll do a little research as you suggested. Thanks.

Also not sure why the old impeller was so swollen.

IME a swollen impeller means moisture got inside the impeller's plastic shell to the metal inside, and it's rusting.

When the insides rust it expands.  Eventually the plastic impeller casing will crack open.