New DC Member

Hi DMV reefers-

I thought it would be polite to introduce myself here first before posting elsewhere what I need your advice or gear!

I'm Daniel, a new member living in NW DC (Petworth) who is also new to the (saltwater) hobby. I'm originally from Texas, but have been in DC since 2014, and after taking a new job that ensures I'll be here at least a few years longer it seemed like a good time to finally jump in with both feet. 

I've had a freshwater aquarium at home before, but this will be my first time with a saltwater setup. I'll be working to build out a 70 gallon setup (purchased from another WAMAS member) and look forward to sharing that experience with the community. I think my first challenge will be redo-ing all of the old plumbing from metric to standard. 

In preparing for this over the past month or so forums like this have been invaluable resources, so thanks very much.

DNoll

Welcome! We have a great community here and are glad to add to it. Please let us know how we can help. In the meantime, a 70/75 sounds just about perfect to start with. Did you buy just the tank, tank and equipment, or a full system (livestock and all)?

Just the tank and equipment, so I'll be going through all the fun of establishing a new system, including curing some rock. 

I'm sure I'll make some mistakes along the way, but decided I'd rather it be my mistakes!

The best advice would be to remain patient with everything you do. Your biggest mistakes tend to come from hasty decisions. I've learned this lesson the hard way at first ($$$).

• 1 month later...