Summer 2017 Meeting (FragFest) - Sunday, July 23, 2017 (Joe Caparatta)

Origami

Hold the date for FragFest! Sunday, July 23, 2017 at the Charles Wesley United Methodist Church (McLean, VA)

What is FragFest? Check out the FragFest FAQ here.

Speaker: Joe Caparatta, Owner of Unique Corals and Manhattan Aquarium

Topic: The Triton Method
In recent years, a new method of reefkeeping built around ICP (Inductively-coupled Plasma) - OES (Optical Emission Spectroscopy) testing - a very sophisticated means of determining the atomic content, and estimating the molecular content, of your tank water - has been available to both professional and hobbyist aquarists. Developed by Ehsan Dashti, founder of Triton (of Germany), the goal of the Triton Method is to emulate natural sea water by using state-of-the-art laboratory equipment and procedures to measure and then re-balance your tank chemistry to match this natural condition. 

Joe's talk is aimed at opening people's minds to this new approach, to stimulate discussion and to think critically, not taking manufacturer claims for granted.  He will talk to the scientific basis of the Triton Method as well as show pictures of tanks successfully using the method. If you're interested in learning more, please come to the meeting and listen to and meet Joe.

gallery_2631296_685_36646.jpg

Joe Caparatta is the founder/owner of Manhattan Aquariums in New York city, and UniqueCorals.com online. Manhattan Aquariums, along with NY Aquarium Service (the servicing arm) has been in business for over 12 years, being the largest reef store in Manhattan.  Joe has been personally keeping aquariums of all types since the 80’s.  He is a sought after speaker and educator in our hobby.  Through his extensive experience and forward thinking, his companies has been instrumental in bringing high end brands such as Triton, DaStaCo, UltraReef, and other exclusive European brands into the country.  Working closely with some of the most respected brands, Joe and his team has been able to get hands on experience and conduct research and development through real world aquaculture scenarios, at the 6000 sf coral propagation facility in Los Angeles CA.  Being both a “coral and fish guy” and a “business guy”, Joe brings perspectives to the hobby that not only focuses on rarities and the “wow factor”, but also practical use, efficiency, conservation, viability, and style in design/use.

This is a MEMBERS ONLY summer meeting SUNDAY, July 23, 2016, 2:00 - 6:00 p.m. (We're starting a little later because setup takes longer for this meeting.)

* You can join WAMAS at the door for $20.00 individual; $35.00 family = 1 year of membership, access to member area of forum + free frags at this meeting.

2:00 PM Doors open to WAMAS members (only)
2:40 PM Club business
3:00 PM Speaker Joe Caparatta
4:00 PM Break
4:15 PM Raffle!
4:45 PM Frag Giveaway (Yes, FREE frags!)
5:45-6:15 PM Cleanup

Location will be:
Charles Wesley United Methodist Church's all purpose room
6817 Dean, Dr
McLean, VA 22101

Raffle Prizes*
- $75 Gift Certificate to Incredible Corals (3 chances to win!)
- $25 Gift Certificate to Avast Marine (8 chances to win!)

- $25 coral frag from Dr. Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture (5 chances to win!)

- Waveline DC-10000 II Variable Speed DC Pump donated by Coralvue ($250 value)
Cobalt Aquatics package of a 16-ounce bucket of Marine Omni flake food and TWO 0.7 ounce jars of Coral Food, a $62 value (1 chance to win)
- ReefRack 102 by Innovative Marine, donated by Saltwateraquarium.com, a $69 value (2 chances to win!)
Reef Frenzy premium frozen food, a $25 value. (5 chances to win)
- Pimped Out Aquariums: $100 gift certificates good for custom acrylic aquariums, sumps, or top off containers (3 chances to win)
- $200 gift certificate good toward the purchase of a custom PVC sump from Pure Reef Systems! (1 chance to win)
- Reef Nutrition: Samplers (see below) of their bottled reef food products! (2 chances to win!)
- Reef Nutrition: Chroma Boost pellets (three 3-ounce bags raffled together)
- 200 gallon box of Instant Ocean salt from Exotic Reef Creations (2 chances to win!)
- One Typhoon III Extreme RO/DI from Air, Water & Ice

- Two clownfish donated by treesprite

- Two yellow-tailed damsels donated by treesprite

- One green/white banded harlequin serpent star donated by treesprite

- More to be announced

Special thanks to theses sponsors. Please support them & say thanks next time you shop with them. You can find their website address by visiting their forum or the sponsor page on the WAMAS website.

WAMAS Platinum Sponsors 
Air, Water & Ice
Artfully Acrylic & Incredible Corals
Avast Marine
Blue Ribbon Koi
Capital Aquarium
Dr. Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture
Exotic Reef Creations
FishnReef.com
LRS Reef Frenzy
Marine Depot
- Pimped Out Aquariums
Pure Reef Systems
- Reed Mariculture (Reef Nutrition)
Reef eScape
SaltwaterAquarium.com
Supreme Reefs

WAMAS Banner-Only Sponsors 
Cobalt Aquatics
- Coralvue
- Industrial Test Systems (makers of the Exact iDip 570 Smart Photometer System)
- Jellyfish Art
Live Aquaria
- Spectrapure

Sponsors on-site:
- Pure Reef Systems

Dr. Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture

FishnReef.com

Members selling on site:
- Copps

Watch this space for more information to be made available as it arrives!

• 1 month later...

First post updated with the topic of Joe's talk: The Triton Method - the most precise way to evaluate, tune, and monitor your reeftank.

And now, on with some raffle prizes!

Larry's come through again with our favorite, donating five packs of Reef Frenzy premium frozen fish food to the raffle! Thanks, Larry!

gallery_2631296_685_10390.jpg

And, how about 

One of three $75 gift certificates to Incredible Corals?

Or maybe one (or more) of the eight $25 gift certificates donated by Avast Marine?

Come to the meeting and play the raffle. You could get lucky!

More for the raffle from Reef Nutrition! Good stuff. The pelleted food is good for fish, but I've found that it works as LPS food, too!

Product Sampler Pack #1, four 6-oz. bottles. An $84 value!

gallery_2631296_685_135827.png

Product Sampler Pack #2, four 6-oz. bottles. A $73 value!

gallery_2631296_685_107901.png

Sampler Pack of TDO Chroma Boost Pellet Food (three 3-oz. packs). $25 value!

gallery_2631296_685_68241.png

And, from Exotic Reef Creations, we have two boxes of Instant Ocean salt to the raffle! I know that you all could use salt. Thank Marcos (aka Monkiboy on the forum) by showing him some support. Learn more about his thorough and proven QT intake procedure, and consider throwing some business his way when buying your next fish. 
gallery_2631296_685_76118.png

Also, many thanks to Pure Reef Systems for donating a $200 gift certificate good toward the purchase of one of their custom PVC sumps.

Here's a picture that I took of one of their sumps sometime last year. Pretty sharp, eh?

gallery_2631296_685_20329.jpg

Let's hear it for our long-time, loyal sponsor, Air, Water & Ice, whose water is the foundation of many of our reefs! They've donated one unit of their famous Typhoon III Extreme to the raffle.

gallery_2631296_685_18100.jpg

Member "treesprite" has donated 

• a couple of clownfish,
  • two yellowtail damsels, and
  • a green and white banded harlequin serpent star

to the raffle. Thanks, Forrest! I guess that we'll raffle them off as listed above (that is, three drawings).

Here's some information provided to us about the fish and star from Forrest and a picture of the clowns, too.

Some info on clownfish: Have had them for about 6 years, since they were still tiny. One came from a batch of Doug's babies, the other came from Aquarium One. I have never observed signs of illness on/in them. I haven't seen eggs, but probably because of the fact that I have moved the fish and re-arranged their home so many times.

I don't have pic of yellowtail damsels, but info on them is that I got them in Sept 2016 from Petco. I have never observed signs of illness on/in them. They seem to be a pair; they aren't together all the time like the clowns, but they worked together to tag-team to death the other yt damsels I had, while never bothering each other. Definitely do not put them with other yt damsels.

I also am donating a green and white banded harlequin serpent star. I got it from Pacific East Aquaculture when they were at a meetingprobably a couple years ago.

gallery_1671_1692_26466.jpg