4/22-10/20 Zoa Challenge Updates and Results

mari.harutunian

Please excuse the lousy photo! I ended up with 2.5 adult polyps and 2 tiny buds that haven’t opened yet! Very fun contest, would join again!

post-172-150859501026_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corbin’s pms are full. I did message through tapatalk but idk if it’ll work as well.

Unfortunately I don’t think I’m going to get ahold of him before the meeting.

(edited)

Smh254 is the winner with 11 polyps total! Theres probably been a 12th Polyp grown between the picture and now!! They won an sps frag from dpasser, Designer zoa pack from Seth Solomon, a frag from my tank, and a $50 gift certificate to Pacific east!!

Edited by mari.harutunian

Hi all Shawn here. First off I want to thank Mari for doing this. I didn't really do this for the prizes just for the challenge. If you guys want you can surprise me with the frag but I would not be disappointed if you didn't. My thanks are pretty full. I think there were a couple factors to the fast growth. The main one being the T5s. The other thing I didn't mention before is this Tank is 4 years old much older than most if not all of yours. I want to thank everyone else for participating I had a really fun time doing this. i'll be getting to the meeting today around 1-2. I'll be wearing a REEF2REEF T-shirt come say hi.

Sorry havnt been on the forum and just realized what day it was, my apologies. I also don’t have a picture because I’m out of town and I’m having a zoa issue in my tank:( something is just slowly picking away at my zoas. And they just recently got ahold of my contest one:/ so I went from 2-0 yay. Seems like we already have a definite winner though lol. Wish I could be there today.

Mari, great contest. would love to do this again if anyone is up for it.  As long as the polyp is high end like this last one I am in. I met the winner at the meeting yesterday when I gave him his frag, great guy. 

Lol I’d have to find a meet up place. The Bethesda meeting was perfect because it had 6 month between that meetings at that location and is an ok spot for both VA and MD reefers. Also we’d need a high end polyp that people don’t have already. Keep your eyes out for one! If you guys have any critiques please let me know. I know I wasn’t on top of monthly picture reminders so I was a bit lax on that. Also lost contact with Corbin. Don’t think he’s on the forums much. Thank you guys so much it was a pleasure!

Mari, great contest. would love to do this again if anyone is up for it. As long as the polyp is high end like this last one I am in. I met the winner at the meeting yesterday when I gave him his frag, great guy.

It was nice meting u to. I had a fun time doing this and would love to do it again. I'll keep look out for good Zoas so we can do again.

Here is what I had yesterday when I tested.

Alk 7.224

Ca 420

Mg 1370

Po4 .04

No3 3

All very close to where I started.

On Friday night. 

ALK 10 

Mag 1300

what about your No3? I get the feeling that has some to do with it too. Just a theory based of some things I've read.

I test my ALK 2x a week and Mag 1x week. Those are my 2 big parameters for my system. I only test Po and No 1-2 yr unless something is off, Also my PH is 8.1 and Cond is 35.5 I run a calc reactor and carbon in a media reactor. I have 900 gal's and 15 fish. I don't feed my corals and have 2 fuges. I do feed my nems and a few specific corals 1 small piece of calamari per week, Fish are fed 50% meat 50% veggie pellets 2x day 1 time per week I feed the a bit of nori and something else like mysis or brine shrimp cube thawed.  If something is off like algae or something I will test everything. My system is pretty stable at this point. 

Edited by dpassar12

Those meetings are in oakton and Vienna which might be inconvenient for people that were in this past contest. I usually plan to not go to these meetings.