4/22-10/20 Zoa Challenge Updates and Results

mari.harutunian

Start date: Saturday, April 22nd, 2017

End date: Friday, October 20th, 2017

Fall meeting date: Saturday, October 21st, 2017                       

RULES PLEASE READ:

1. Everyone should post a quick write-up of their system(lighting, reactors, size, dosing feeding, etc) posted to this thread before the first photo updates.

2. You will be required to post photo updates each month in this thread also(6 photos). You will have a two-week window-- a week before and after the 20th of each month. I will post reminders and pm anyone getting close to the deadline. Failure to do so will result in disqualification. For the last month, the window for photos will only be the week before.

3. Please, no cheating. Cheaters will be disqualified. This is meant to be fun and fair for everyone.

4. Zoas must remain on original plug unless given permission to put on a larger plug/ceramic plate. This has to be supported with a picture of the original plug being too full and a picture after on the new plug/plate.

5. If you drop out or fail to post on time there will be no refund as all the money went to pay for the zoas.

This thread is only for update posts! keep questions, comments, and conversation to the other contest thread please!

Good luck everyone! Have fun and let the best grower win!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

My tank is a six month old fluval m90, 36 gallons and I have 2 AI Hydra 52s from 2013 on it. I run chemipure elite and have a tunze osmolator, tunze 9001 protein skimmer, and 2 jabeo power heads(great equipment-highly recommend all of these!). For feeding I mostly rotate dry foods and the occasional mysis, krill, and brine shrimp frozen foods. I have been dosing NOPOX to cut down Nitrate from a 100 Nitrate spike a while back-may or may not wean my tank off of this. I'm probably at a disadvantage because I have so much algae. 851d9bb3213b72e4edd8bc80ed1235a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mari.harutunian

07b963a008265f1c808a2ecb84cba4bf.jpg

Hi, all. I'm running a Fluval Spec III with a Kessil A80. The tank was my quarantine system until yesterday. I use the water from my 45 gallon display to fill this and the 10 gallon/OceanRevive setup behind. I will perform 50% water changes in the Fluval weekly (maybe). In the Fluval lives some seasoned Marine Pure balls and carbon/filter pads. In the display (again the water source), I dose kalk separately from RODI ATO, NOPOX somewhat daily, some KZ products (bak and food), and the Red Sea Coral Colors line. I'll use Red Sea Reef Energy occasionally.

I'm here to learn and have some fun. Let's go!

Thanks for setting this up, Mari!

Jim

My tank is a 72 bowfront reef ready and its been running for over 2 years. I have 2 ecotech xr15 gen3 pros along with 2 mp40 quietdrives plugged into ecotech's battery backup. I am running running brs dual reactor with gfo and carbon and a tunze osmolater for ato. Protein skimmer is a vertex omega 130. I am not dosing anything to the tank. For feeding, I mostly feed dry pellets and LRS reef frenzy. I do not feed my corals and it gets whatever is leftover when i feed my fish.

4e52c040a0e93c0355d5bbd0578e1dee.jpg

My tank is a nearly 6 month old planet aquarium custom 70 gallon with an eshops 75 sump, and a 10gallon fuge(not set up yet). My lighting is 2 Kessil a360we and my filtration filter sock, carbon bag, and a bubble Magnus nac 5 skimmer. I use a gyre 130 for water movement. I feed a homemade mix of shrimp,scallops, and muscles along with the occasional polyp lab reef roids after a water change.d07d716036c4edacbef4f427a17b23d0.jpg235449fe8caf21fae398b04fbf690dc2.jpg

I have a 40b with an Eshopps overflow and Eshopps first gen r100 sump. I have an 4 bulb ATI fixture( 2 blue+ 1 coral+ 1 Aqua blue special bulb) with a Reefbrite. I dose 24ml of ALK ,CA, 9ml mag daily and Acropower twice a week. I feed mysis, brine, LRS, RODS twice a day. I have never feed dry food to this tank. My parameters are Alk 7.5, CA 410, MAG 1380, NO3 3, PO4 .05. My sump 1st chamber filter sock, SCA301 skimmer, heater, apex PH and temp probe. 2nd chamber has chato, dragons breath mangroves live rock and live sand. 3rd chamber has return pump, float switches and this is where all my dosing is done. In my DT I have 1 mp10 2 Jebao rw 4 and a heater. My fish are 2 clown fish, 3 chromis, 1 cardinal, 1 spotted mandarin and a wheelers goby with pistol shrimp. I probably missed something so feel free to ask questions.c204374b30e6e5290f811ed43311cd24.jpg

IM 25 lagoon setup here.

All in one system, no sump. AI Prime HD LED lighting, jebao SW-2, chaeto in the back, Smart Micro ATO. I feed mysis shrimp every other day. Broadcast feed polyp lab once a week. Weekly 20% water changes. No dosing.

Stocking: 2x clowns, 1 starry blenny, 1 pistol shrimp, 2 Trochus, 2 nassarius, 1 emerald

768edadd592081b8f29127d7b67a16a1.jpg

My 45g tank has a Radion G3 light on for 6 hrs a day, 15g sump running SWC skimmer & media reactor with GFO. I sometimes put in a filter sock temporarily if I fed heavily. Water current produced by Jebao DCT return pump, Gyre 130 xf130 (half side), small Jebao power head behind the rock works. Every 3 days I feed the tank heavily with a mix of frozen, every day I feed a small amount of flake. I believe this 45g is quite nutrient rich (aka dirty).

In terms of target feeding zoas & pals, I only target feed my SunnyDs because the polyps actively grab food, the other paly / zoa seems to ignore the food so I don't target feed them. I have bottle of Reef Chili, Coral Frenzy, Reef-Roids sitting around so I plan to experiment with all of them to see if the FangBanger responds to anything.

Thanks for setting up this grow-out challenge, looking forward to see how this zoa reacts to the different environment.

post-172-0-62646300-1493008631_thumb.jpg

Edited by PupChow

My tank is a 120 with now 4 kessil 360we controlled by apex. It's about 2 years old, but I finally got it stable since I just added the fourth light 2 months ago. I've been slow and steady, hopefully getting more corals now that I'm stable. I ATO with mrs wages kalkwasser, and occasionally dose NOPOX. I'm trying to reduce that though and just go water changes every 7-10 days. I feed frozen mysis daily, a chocolate chip star every 2 weeks (for the harlequin I got from telegraham), and nori maybe every two weeks. Also, I coral feed with reefroids once a week.

0577a523b751a86cd4f792eda4ae7e36.jpg

Are we putting water parameters in this post?

Nitrate: 5

Phosphate: 0.07

Alk: 8.5-9

Calcium: 450

Mag: 1320

Ph: 8.1-8.3

Flow: 5000 gph using two wav pumps (gonna find a dead spot for this zoa)

Lighting: max intensity is 28% for 1 hour. Still rising slowly but now getting growth.

Willing to learn to improve. I designed this to be SPS tank, but I'm still learning that trade. LPS I'm a pro. Can't kill that stuff.

I think we should post tank parameters. It will be interesting to see how the zoa thrives under different conditions.

Up to ya'll. I just don't have the best test kit for Phosphate and Mag... so I will have to go to one of the LFS's to get it done there.

I think we should post tank parameters. It will be interesting to see how the zoa thrives under different conditions.

Up to ya'll. I just don't have the best test kit for Phosphate and Mag... so I will have to go to one of the LFS's to get it done there.

The reason parameters are not required is because they are so subject to change in the next six months and everyone can't make constant updates about them. It would be cool to see some seneye data or some other automatic reef tester after the six months are up though. If you'd like to feel free though! Try to keep comments and questions in the other thread please.

ff4414f0426fbdb0ca0553f2d1ca4417.jpg

Hey Reefers my name is Warren and my tank is a Mix Reef Zoa/Palys Dominated

Tank: 48x24x21 105 Gal DSA (Deep Sea Aquatics)

Lighting: Kessil AP700

Sump: Triggers 39 Emerald

Skimmer: SWC 160 Protein

Filtration: 5 Boxes of Marine Pure Bio Balls

Filtration: 4 blocks of Miracle Mud

302 Algae Scrubber

ATO: Innovative Marine

Screen Top: Clear view Lid Artfully Acrylic

Return pump: EcoTech M1 Vectra

Wave Makers: EcoTech MP40 QD (2)

UV: 15 watt Aqua UV

Controller: Apex 2016 wifi gold

Live Stock

Blue Hippo Tang

Yellow Tang

Flame Back Angel

Midas Blenny

Peppermint Hog

Black Spotted Leopard Wrasse (2)

Blue Star Leopard Wrasse

Gladiators Clown pair (2)

(edited)

Would love to see everyone's initial frags

Good idea. Here's mine: a8de50748d6508a22ee787046dc1e245.jpg

Phone doesn't take the best pictures but its kind of true to color. Its a golden tan. Lights are ramped down and will get brighter as the month progresses.

Edited by mari.harutunian

here is my frag. I also just have a cellphone to take pics so not the best.

I'll take a better one for the 1 month update.

263a6162fa9ffa00b3144eecd09c3bd5.jpg

Here's mine.

iPhone pic

a82013ed990932854003cad225297491.jpg

iPhone with gel filter

7132ced0a2473e12a7714f16b6cf2534.jpg

Here is my guy under Radion G3

e5b5a88d771a5f5cbeaea11a7a2bd587.jpg

I'm all in! So far it hasn't reacted to any food.

ac33cd3f35cca7eb7928d3e8112eee0d.jpg

DC Reefer I just got something similar, it's called the AquariClip, works quite well!