Jerel's ELOS Midi - GHL Controlled

very nice!

I've always thought about getting and eel...peaceful or opportunistic...i don't want it to snack on my pretty wrasse

A golden dwarf moray eel seems to be a peaceful reef dweller. They're quite small and it doesn't bother my 1" Picasso Clownfish. I'm waiting for my second one to arrive soon! 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where did you buy the eel? I've been looking for a dwarf golden eel to add to my tank.

I contacted Brian from Reefwisesales.com. He has all kinds of rare eels(No golden dwarfs at the moment). 

18119389_1287507074703551_75234059604100

16806963_1201951696592423_22669635009627

• 3 weeks later...

Growth in my PAX-Bellum ARID has started to slow down. I figure my carnivorous diet for my eel and clown is high in protein nitrogen and low in phosphorus, which in turn gives me zero phosphates(Salifert) but nitrates remain at my desired 5ppm by dosing NO3/Molybdenum. I'll probably have to start dosing phosphorus(ELOS Fosfato supplement) or add a few herbivores and feed veggie rich foods to achieve at least .02ppm

But one thing is for sure. I haven't needed to clean the glass in over two months and algae in my tank is neither here nor there.

I'd love to see a FTS now that you've got some coral and livestock in there. 

Tank is looking good, I really appreciate your approach to setting up and getting this going. 

The eel has been doing quite well ever since i added it to my system. I've been feeding it a single nickel sized portion of octopus three times a week and a few chunks of LRS Chunky Blend. 

$22 at Whole Foods seafood counter.

IMG_0842.JPG?raw=1

IMG_0848.JPG?raw=1

I'm starting to believe that it is not necessary for a lid. Most eels are dwellers(especially these golden dwarf moray eels) and they spend most of their time in caves, crevasses and porous structures. I'm not worried about it jumping since there's enough hiding places for it.

Brian from Reefwise is working on getting me a second one, which i hope is spotted/leopard patterned. 

Screen%20Shot%20eel.jpg?raw=1

I've been wanting to retire my manual dosages of Algae Barn Phytoplankton in favor of automatically dosing Easy Reefs EasyBooster Phyto Gel. Georg from Easy Reefs has informed me that the peristaltic pump connector will be available in the US by late September. I think i'll go ahead an order a second GHL doser, Two(2) head version, which is upgradeable to a three(3) or four(4) head doser on a later date.

Adding a second or more dosers to a ProfiLux is fairly simple, assign a PAB device(Doser 2) to the CAN-Bus System and make your configurations.

doseradd.JPG?raw=1

I talked to the EasyBooster guy at MACNA.  It looked like a nice product which misses some of the possible benefits of live phyto, but will surely be more convenient.  

I'll be interested to see what you think of adding the gel to your tank.  I got one of the little samples that you crack over and squeeze in and when I did it the drops of gel just fell to the bottom of the tank and sat there in a glob.  I hit it with a blast from a turkey baster and then it broke up, so it really needs to be dropped in to a pump or powerhead intake.

Yeah Coming from the days of manually dosing DT's Phytoplankton, limited storage life, needed to be refrigerated, shaken- not stirred Lol. I've been waiting for a prolonged solution for quite some time.  

Easybooster appears to be highly concentrated compared to live cultures that are packaged with seawater. My initial dosage will probably be 0.5ml per day, 0.1ml individual doses into the suction of my return pump via rigid 1/4" tubing.

My ELOS PO4 supplements have arrived from France!  They actually sent me two 500ml bottles, one for free, $25 worth. 

IMG_0999%202.JPG?raw=1

Good info - Looks like the recommended dosage for Easybooster is 1ml per 35gallons, while Algae Barn is 5ml per 20gallons.  

Stacked - Early on when planning my system. I knew that i wanted to add at least a second doser at some point, left enough space to accommodate one.  

IMG_1016.JPG?raw=1

I'm quite satisfied with the function aspect of my system but i am constantly trying to make it look more appealing. Building my own sump allowed me to fit everything that i wanted in such a confined space. 

EasyBooster has been mounted and supply line. I'm just waiting for the Easy Connect 25 to arrive. 

IMG_1049.JPG?raw=1

IMG_1047.JPG?raw=1

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Looks like i'll have to make space for GHL's KH Director in the coming months. 

PreKh%20copy.jpg?raw=1

A future update will support dosing for the Triton Method. Other elements can be automatically dosed based on the Alkalinity measurement. 

GCCkh.jpg?raw=1
Image by GHL

Edited by Jerel

Not too bad a price for it.

With an introductory price of $764.91 for standalone Alkalinity monitoring and control, $719.91 if you have a ProfiLux. 

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Here's a few new inhabitants added this past month from Dr. Mac. 

IMG_6860.JPG?raw=1

Ha! Elliot my Dwarf Moray Eel seems to like the Rhodactis garden.

IMG_5832.JPG?raw=1

Adding a four(4) head Doser 2 and removing the two(2) head unit to be utilize on a separate system. 

IMG_1181.JPG?raw=1

IMG_2708%202.JPG?raw=1

Edited by Jerel

• 3 weeks later...

New Location - Harkin's District is my new home.. Updates regarding the tank after i get settled in, reboot ! 

The-Remy.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/11/2019 at 3:24 PM, YHSublime said:

Ever reboot this bad boy?

Long time!

I've sold this tank quite some time ago. I am currently in the process of planning of much larger system, 200 or so gallons within a custom home. 

23 hours ago, Jerel said:

Long time!

I've sold this tank quite some time ago. I am currently in the process of planning of much larger system, 200 or so gallons within a custom home. 

Looking forward to watching it build out!