AS in 16H tank

treesprite

I've been thinking for almost a year, about using my 16 high tank for an algae scrubber, plumbed somehow into the system  (16H is tall and narrow). I'm wondering how to go about it. At the moment, am thinking about how low down to drill a drain hole, so the water level will be low but not so low that I can't somehow arrange things to make the 16H drain into the sump. The 16H is drilled up near the top, and I could put a sort of spray-over bar through that hole if it would make any sense to do it. I'm also trying to figure out how I will keep everything out of sight; there might actually be space under the stand since it is such a big tank (would have to have a protected area for my wires though). It's all up in the air... I'm looking for more thoughts on it.

Edited by treesprite

My suggestion would be to use a design like this one: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/UserHobogatoOnAS-1.jpg

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/UserHobogatoOnAS-1.jpg

It looks like the individual used the water coming back from the overflow to divert some of the water to the algae scrubber.  The idea of having it in your sump is good, where are you thinking of placing the lights or light?  I would suggest that you will want some plastic near where the plastic mesh and spraybar meet because when algae starts to grow the water can spray anywhere.  

Best of luck, I look forward to seeing the pictures when you are done.  

(edited)

The 16H tank is 20" high, but only 10" wide. The entire height of the growth surface will be behind glass, so there should not be any problem with water spray/splash. The width is adequately narrow that the lights will still be close enough on the outsides of the tank.

The hole I was talking about is on the end of the tank, not on the back, hence a spray pipe could go straight through it. I guess I will put an offshoot from the DT overflow plumbing, and put a valve on it so I can adjust flow in the AS as needed.

Edited by treesprite