Experience with ChemiClean anyone?

thakki

Has anyone used chemiclean to get rid of red slime? I read mixed reviews on it and the claim that its safe on reef tanks. I have never used anything but RODI water, feed only once a day and dont run light for long duration of time. I think the red slime is suffocating some of the corals...siphoning is not working...have been thinking about this product...any suggestions?

I used it a few years ago on my 90. It worked. Just follow the instructions, take your skimmer offline and do a nice size water change after a few days otherwise your skimmer will still go nuts. I used it as a last resort and was happy with the results.

I won't tell anyone it's fine to use a chemical or its perfectly safe etc.. as I don't think it's responsible to make assumptions about someone else's reef...

Ok now that I have said that... I keep my tank about as clean as possible.. barebottom, weekly water changes, GFO, large skimmer, filter socks changed weekly... I introduced cyano on a cluster of macro algae from a vendor... it quickly spread throughout my tank... got really bad in about 2 weeks time or less..

Blowing off, siphoning, etc didn't seem to help and it was smothering some corals...

I researched chemi clean and bit the bullet.. I followed the instructions completely... air stone in sump, skimmer going with cup off flowing back into sump and added the correct amount (if not a little less)... big water change after 48 hours... 100% gone in about 3 days...

Again it's a chemical...it can't be 100% safe.. I tend to think if done correctly it is close... I would use again if necessary...

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I used it a couple months ago, follow directions exactly, it was gone in 2 days, followed by a large water change

I used it a few times because I thought I had cyano.  It never too care of that but didn't hurt anything when I added exactly to the directions. I think I actually had some form of surprisingly persistent diatoms.

Another option if it is cyano (and not spirulina) is hydrogen peroxide.

You can do a quick test on the algae by placing some in a cup with hydrogen peroxide. If the water turns red, you have cyano. If you treat the tank with hydrogen peroxide and it does not go away, you may also have spirulina.

I used it years ago and ended up having to take my male seahorse to the vet to get some diamox for gas bubble disease. Having said that, if you don't have seahorses everything I have heard says that it is safe to use.

I have used it in the past with success as well and no detriment to my mixed reef.  I tried everything to avoid using it, finally gave in and it worked in 1 dose.  I will use it again if the need arises.

Edited by ReefAddict

I also used it once for a couple days with no ill effects to any livestock. Cyano died and after tweeking my feeding schedule a bit, haven't had issues with it since.

Used it twice in 2 different tanks....amazing how perfect it worked both times with zero bad effects. Both times all cyno completely gone within 24-48 hours after treatment. Heavy stock corals and fish all perfectly ok. A+++