VW's IM Nuvo 10 Build Thread

VW_TDI_02

New to this forum but have been active on Nano Reef for a good few years now but after moving here I was recommended this forum. I have always enjoyed making build threads so I've added pictures to show the progression so far.

Hardware

Tank: Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion Nano 10

Lighting: Kessil A150 Sky Blue

Light Mount: 24" Kessil Gooseneck with 90 degree adapter 

Controller: Reef Keeper Lite with SL1 for pH control

Doser: Jebao DP-4

Heater: Neotherm 50 Watt

Pump: Stock

Wave Maker: Jebao RW-4 with 12v power supply

Livestock

Fish:

1 x Black Ice Clownfish

Coral

Purple Torch/Hammer Hybrid

Green Torch/Hammer Hybrid

Purple Tipped Hammer

Purple/Blue Micro Lord

Red/Blue Micro Lord

Purple Fungia Plate

War Coral

Red Monti Cap

Grafted Red/Green Monti Cap

Red Planet Acropora

Sunburst Chalice

Easter Egg Chalice

Updates

2/3/2017 Update

The tank has changed a little bit since the last picture but it's only the arrangement of a few coral. I'm in the process of purchasing a rock that has some zoas on it. It's a bit of a larger rock which isn't ideal but I think I can make it work. It will probably go at the bottom right where the two chalices are currently. Unfortunately the lights are already off so no new pictures just yet. I should be picking up the zoa rock this Sunday evening I think. I may end up taking the dremel to the rock to cut it into smaller pieces but I'll have to wait until I see it to make a good judgement. 

1/22/2017 Update

I'm addicted... Ended up getting another pair of corals. I got the red planet that's sitting up top as well as a purple-tipped hammer in the back right. After 2 days they're both looking well with solid polyp extension. 

20170122_174714_zpsi4xooj0u.jpg

1/19/2017 Update

So I haven't done an official update in a while but I have been slowly adding more coral. The one coral I've been looking for has finally been purchased. The grafted monti is the one coral that I wanted above all others so hopefully it will grow in nicely. I managed to get a good size frag and just have to wait and see. I have a pair of chalices that are sitting in the sand for now. Not sure where they're going just yet.

20170119_174310_zpseii1yqob.jpg

12/31/16 Update

Unfortunately one of the clowns did not make it. Within about 2-3 days of him being introduced into my system he got really bad fin rot. I treated him with melafix and primafix but it didn't work. The other clown survived and is doing fantastic. So far it has not shown any signs of fin rot and is eating anything and everything. I have added some corals. I have a new variety of micro lord, a war coral, a red monti cap, and a beautiful purple plate coral.  Below is my latest FTS.

20161231_100244_zpsgpizt6mk.jpg

12/23/16 Update

Finally got some coral!!! Have two hybrid torch/hammers and a small acan lord (whatever they're classified as now). Here is a FTS:

20161223_102051_zpszkpzzz1v.jpg

12/14/16 Update

Finally have fish!! I got the two black ice clownfish after a longer than expected quarantine at Reef Escape in Northern VA. This worked out perfectly as my tank was fully cycled pretty much yesterday. Overall the fish look amazing and they're even eating.

20161214_173802_zps1gz016zs.jpg

11/3/16 Update

Finally got the tank filled and ready to go. Super glue held up great and the rocks are solidly in place. Only thing left to set up is the top off but I'm waiting on a package for that.

20161103_211232_zpsmqm7ska4.jpg

11/2/16 Update

The tank has finally arrived and it is almost all wired up. Have what I hope will be the final rockscape but giving it some time and will go back and look at it later. Here is the first FTS and in my last post you can see some more pictures.

20161102_173505_zpswhifef0x.jpg

11/1/16 Update

So in order to not have to do an update in a new reply as well as on this post I'm going to stop updating here with the exception of periodic full tank shots and big moments (aka, getting the tank). I'll probably end up deleting this and the earlier updates on this post but I'll deal with that later. I will try to keep the title of the thread updated with the date of my latest update.

10/30/16 Update

Manged to get a new piece of furniture to house my equipment and get almost everything mounted up. In the process I managed to fry my heater by accidentally turning it on while out of water (whole story is in another post). Overall everything is shaping up very nicely and I'm hoping to pick up the tank tomorrow or sometime this week. They said it might arrive tomorrow but they aren't completely sure. There are pictures below and I go into much greater detail about everything from today. Please let me know what y'all think!

10/29/16 Update

Currently I am waiting on the tank. I ordered it in store at Reef Escape in Northern Virginia and it should be here some time this week. I already had the light and all of the equipment listed above except for the light mount. I purchased the gooseneck and the 90 degree adapter in the store.

I have about 7 pounds of unused CaribSea Special Grade which is a sand that I love and used in my last tank. I don't think this will be enough so I may end up mixing it with something I buy locally. I will be putting egg crate at the bottom of the tank so that I don't have to worry about falling rocks cracking the bottom.  

In regards to the rockscape I do have a general idea as to what I would like. Since the Kessil I have is the A150 I can't dim it so I'm going to try to keep the scape pretty low. This scape will be made up of multiple smaller rocks and will be horseshoe-shaped with the open part facing out. The left leg will be a bit of an island and it will be an acan island. The highest point of the hardscape will be the back right part. After posting this I'll probably sketch something up so that I can start getting some ideas. Obviously it will have to change a bit when I start getting the actual rocks in my hands. I don't want the rockscape to go much higher than 1/3 of the height of the tank.

I'm still not sure if I want to do an ATO. In my last tank I used a simple float valve and I know I could set it up for this tank as well. I'm going to be running the mesh top initially so depending on how much evaporation happens, I might start that up again or buy a new one that isn't dependent solely on a float valve. I'm also debating if I want to make/get some glass lids in order to prevent some 

Below is what I was thinking for the scape. Have a little island on the left. The lines/circles are contour lines so that there is a general idea. The dashed lines are the tunnel. On the front view I wasn't really sure how to draw it. There are two level areas with one on each leg of the horseshoe and the peak in the back right of the horseshoe. Still up in the air but that's the general shape that I would like to go for.  

IMG_20161029_174841_zpsj8ba9t7j.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice setup. I'm setting up a Nuvo 10 too. How do you like the Kessil? I have the stock light and it's not blue enough for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...