MDRC Frag Swap

surf&turf

Also, Wamas members will get in for the $5 club fee, just present your card at the door.

Curtis

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to confirm, we don't need to bring anything to trade right? We can just buy frags?

You would be correct. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick questions:

- Is the entry fee same for kids?

- How does swapping work? Never been to one. Is there a particular place where all the reefers swap corals? or is it something that will be done ahead of time and they just swap it at that location. It will be hard without the corals being opened at the time of swap right? So is it based on trust then?

Do you think anyone will be bringing used or discounted equipment to the swap? Looking for a radion or hydra26

Folks will be bringing equipment to sell, whether Radions or Hydras will be there, I can't say.

Quick questions:

- Is the entry fee same for kids?

- How does swapping work? Never been to one. Is there a particular place where all the reefers swap corals? or is it something that will be done ahead of time and they just swap it at that location. It will be hard without the corals being opened at the time of swap right? So is it based on trust then?

So basically, all the trading that happens is setup prior to the event, either through Fragswapper, Reef Trader, or through Facebook and forums like this one. The term Frag Swap has evolved over the years and has morphed into a traditional "Swap Meet" which are held for other hobbies. Swap Meets are generally a place to go and purchase Coral/fish from vendors and hobbyists alike. So, in regards to whether there will be a specific area for trades to take place, there will not, as the arrangements have already been made ahead of time.

As far as kids getting into the swap, children 13 and under will be free.

2eaac5d2d7761ddabd95b82db21c45c3.jpg

Here is the sign out front to look for! Look forward to seeing everyone Saturday.

As a reminder GK's BBQ will have food for purchase out front. Some of the best award winning BBQ you will ever try!

I usually have a hard time slipping out of the house to make it to most events because of the kids/wife factor. I'm glad I was able to get out, even if it was for a short bit. There was a big assortment and everything looked really healthy. It's not too late~

A few pics...

Overview of the swap meet

17e951d7dd945fde22102c8c45c59577.jpg

Ben from Supreme Corals

c21c5ed1236cef89aef725d07b442e6b.jpg

Rik (from WAMAS)

5a1091429817af1652b97eab5ab64201.jpg

Lots of sellers here today.

Sent from my phone

So, who went and where are the goodies pics?

The post-it on the main forum page right top column says this was supposed to be on the 26th by the way.

Cr*p. That was my fault. You're talking about the calendar. I must have fat-fingered in the wrong date way back when.

Sent from my Tablet

MDRC would like to thank everyone who came out. John Coppolino COPPS not only did an amazing presentation, he set a sell tank and answered so many questions. If anyone has not seen his presentation you need to check it out.

GK's BBQ did not disappoint!

Thank you WAMAS for participating! Hope everyone had fun.

Thanks

Now as someone stated......

Let's post up some candy shots!

Hi all,

Went to the MDRC event today in Lovettsville, VA. I got 15 coral frags and one carpet anemone. Also, I won in the raffle two $25 gift cards, one calcium Hanna tester and a pack of tree types of Rob's Food also including one a pack of algae sheets and one beer cozy.

Copps presentation was very good. 

Looking forward to WAMAS next event.

Thanks,

Nelson

I will echo Hopeitlives' words and say thank you to WAMAS for allowing us to share today with you guys! I know I spoke with a bunch of WAMAS and MDRC folks and there seemed to be a feeling of surprise at the different variety of corals that are considered "common" by each individual club. The cross pollination conversations were pretty cool to stop by and listen to, and there were tons of trades that occurred as a result--myself included in this!

Thanks so much guys, and hopefully we will do this again next year if you guys are willing to have us by again!

Chris

It was a great event. To all those that missed out; your loss. We had venders from Brooklyn to Michigan. The vender from MI (Reefer Madness) had the biggest fruit loops I have ever seen. See you next time.

I will echo Hopeitlives' words and say thank you to WAMAS for allowing us to share today with you guys! I know I spoke with a bunch of WAMAS and MDRC folks and there seemed to be a feeling of surprise at the different variety of corals that are considered "common" by each individual club. The cross pollination conversations were pretty cool to stop by and listen to, and there were tons of trades that occurred as a result--myself included in this!

Thanks so much guys, and hopefully we will do this again next year if you guys are willing to have us by again!

Chris

What corals are common to you guys?

Phone pics don't do these justice. My QT wasn't quite ready for the very nice SPS they had there. 

Golden frogspawn

IMG 20170326 191118

Pink tip, green torch

IMG 20170326 191240

Pink octospawn

IMG 20170326 191145

Sunset acan

IMG 20170326 191054

Orange/blue Ric

IMG 20170326 191348

Purple rim Monti cap & Red planet (brown out some)

IMG 20170326 191041

What corals are common to you guys?

There are several zoa, acro, and monti pieces that are prevalent in the Pa area which make them a bit more cost effective. The same can be said for the D.C. Area having several other zoa, acro, and monti pieces that are more prevalent. Living in between the two areas, I get to see the differences and it's pretty cool. Just gotta keep your eyes peeled.

There are several zoa, acro, and monti pieces that are prevalent in the Pa area which make them a bit more cost effective. The same can be said for the D.C. Area having several other zoa, acro, and monti pieces that are more prevalent. Living in between the two areas, I get to see the differences and it's pretty cool. Just gotta keep your eyes peeled.

I didn't get to go to this swap unfortunately :( my tank is a little unhappy at the moment and i knew if I went I'd buy a lot...

A few pics...

Overview of the swap meet

Riley (from WAMAS)

5a1091429817af1652b97eab5ab64201.jpg

Lots of sellers here today.

Sent from my phone

That's Rik (me) not Riley.  Riley is my old dog (RIP)

The event was fun.  Didn't sell as much as I thought I would, but I did do a bunch of trades with other vendors which makes up for it.  It was definitely a buyers market, lots of vendors and not that many buyers.

WAMAS should do one of these.

That's Rik (me) not Riley.  Riley is my old dog (RIP)

The event was fun.  Didn't sell as much as I thought I would, but I did do a bunch of trades with other vendors which makes up for it.  It was definitely a buyers market, lots of vendors and not that many buyers.

WAMAS should do one of these.

HA! Darned autocorrect on my phone. Really coincidental that it decided to pick "Riley" as my intended. Will correct now.