Barrel Tender Anticlimax

AlanM

I got the new Barrel Tender v2 a couple of days ago.

It assembles on the top of the trash can really easily.  The template for drilling is cool and the video for assembly is very straight forward.  The install is dead easy.

I put it together on the lid of my can full of water, plugged it in, and nothing happened.

I was going to email Avast to see what I needed to do to get it to work and then I realized that it's not supposed to be doing anything.  The barrel is already half full.  I have to wait for it to be almost empty if I want to see it work. Doh!  Anticlimactic.

Now I can't wait to use up all my water to see it do it's thing!

Hey Alan, if you didn't bolt it down, or if the reservoir lid lifts up, just lift up the Tender to trick it into thinking the water level is low. I had the same problem when I set mine up :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Alan, that sounds like a problem you should probably discuss with your doctor or perhaps get a free sample for... ;)

I have mine and despite having it I keep on forgetting to bring it to work to set it up.  Each day for the past week it's been on my pile to bring to work to set up and each day I leave without it.  For me, the excitement is just building!

Justin, question for you - I have not yet opened it up but do you know if it would fit on the threading of a 55 gallon drum?  Same types we used at MACNA - two plugs that unscrew on the top, don't know the sizes offhand but if memory serves me correctly one is either 3/4 or 1" and the other is about 2.5 - 3".  Of course, I could always remember to bring it with me one of these mornings and install it rather than gamble that the cold weather will prevent the RODI from running efficiently...

Dave, you might need some extra lengths of the solid tubing they use for the sensors if on the top of a 55 gallon drum depending on the height.  I have mine on a 44 gal Brute and it was exactly enough stuff.  I don't know about the hole pattern.

I set mine up last night as well. I skipped bolting it down since I don't really see it going anywhere and my hand is too big to get into my barrel. Looks great and hopefully flooding my laundry room is a thing of the past....

Mine just kicked on. I was pumping some water out and the solenoid clicked open loudly and it lit up. Scared me! It's making my water now.

If you can find a spot on the top which is able to get a piece of rigid line down to somewhere close to the bottom I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Here are the install instructions.  He's putting it on a trash can lid, but you can squint and imagine it's your roto-mold. 8)

Alan, that sounds like a problem you should probably discuss with your doctor or perhaps get a free sample for... ;)

I have mine and despite having it I keep on forgetting to bring it to work to set it up. Each day for the past week it's been on my pile to bring to work to set up and each day I leave without it. For me, the excitement is just building!

Justin, question for you - I have not yet opened it up but do you know if it would fit on the threading of a 55 gallon drum? Same types we used at MACNA - two plugs that unscrew on the top, don't know the sizes offhand but if memory serves me correctly one is either 3/4 or 1" and the other is about 2.5 - 3". Of course, I could always remember to bring it with me one of these mornings and install it rather than gamble that the cold weather will prevent the RODI from running efficiently...

Here is one of mine installed on a 55 gal drum. b57cdde1c308f3d46f83476b6812c0be.jpg

I didn't bolt it down, and this is a prototype where the solenoid is separate, so that line goes in the other cap opening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really intrigued by this product but I'm a bit confused on what it actually does. Is this similar to a auto shut off valve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's both an auto-shutoff and an auto-turnon valve.  

It turns on your RO/DI when the water level in the container drops below around an inch and then shuts it off when it gets up to about 3 inches from the top of your container.

If you were just running your RO/DI by controlling via auto-shutoff float or something then you'd always be making a fraction of a gallon of water at a time and you'd be blowing through your DI resin because it always takes a while for the RO stage to get the output water down to <10 TDS output.  This way you're making large batches of 30-40 gallons at a time which preserves DI resin and also lets you have some peace of mind about overflows.

Could have used one of these two sets of hardwood floors ago, and saved some grief.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am so close to running my barrel tender... I have officially installed it but I need to run power to where the water station is at the Lab and so I can't plug it in.  Pathetic how long it takes me to do the stuff I really want to do at work!

Mine just made another 40+ gallons of DI water today.  I only noticed because the light was on.  I no longer even notice when I'm getting low.  I feel like it would only be better if it could monitor output TDS and start shrieking when it saw something that wasn't 0 coming out so I'd know to change the filters.  Oh, and then if it could change the filters for me that would be great.

Alan, I bet there are enough DIYers here that could take the sound of you shrieking and put that into an Arduino or Rasberry Pie and create an add-on to do exactly that.  I'm going to patent the idea now and call it the Alan-Shriek-o-Meter.

• 2 months later...

Okay, adding on to this thread...

trying to understand this a little...tried pming justin but he's too important to empty his inbox :)

Is it essentially a solenoid that cuts the input to the ro/di or does it use backflow to stop via an asov?  

Basically, I've had an ro unit that was hard wired into my utility sink with a solenoid valve between the sink and the feed into the ro unit.  I had a float valve on the bucket that the ro unit fed and an asov but for whatever reason, if I forgot to turn off I'd still end up with a small flood.  I used to plug the solenoid valve into the power to turn on and unplug to turn off.

(edited)

trying to understand this a little...tried pming justin but he's too important to empty his inbox :)

Is it essentially a solenoid that cuts the input to the ro/di or does it use backflow to stop via an asov?  

Basically, I've had an ro unit that was hard wired into my utility sink with a solenoid valve between the sink and the feed into the ro unit.  I had a float valve on the bucket that the ro unit fed and an asov but for whatever reason, if I forgot to turn off I'd still end up with a small flood.  I used to plug the solenoid valve into the power to turn on and unplug to turn off.

It should be a solenoid inside that cuts off the waterflow, as I recall.

You can also reach Justin by email. I think he's at justin@avastmarine.com, but even better - use support@avastmarine.com. 

Edited by Origami
added support email address

First, support@avastmarine.com will get your questions answered SUPER fast :)  

The Barrel Tender uses a solenoid to turn the water off which in turn triggers your ASOV to turn off.  What the Tender really excels at though is turning it ON exactly when it is needed.  There are many ways to turn it off but the ON/OFF cycle when empty to full is a complete solution and saves $ on resin and more importantly time.  It is one of those products where I wish people reviewed it 2 years after purchase rather than a couple weeks after, once you use it for a while you pretty much forget about ever making water for top off.  

it could monitor output TDS and start shrieking when it saw something that wasn't 0 coming out so I'd know to change the filter

This is a really good idea :)

It should be a solenoid inside that cuts off the waterflow, as I recall.

You can also reach Justin by email. I think he's at justin@avastmarine.com, but even better - use support@avastmarine.com. 

Thanks Tom.

First, support@avastmarine.com will get your questions answered SUPER fast :)

The Barrel Tender uses a solenoid to turn the water off which in turn triggers your ASOV to turn off.  What the Tender really excels at though is turning it ON exactly when it is needed.  There are many ways to turn it off but the ON/OFF cycle when empty to full is a complete solution and saves $ on resin and more importantly time.  It is one of those products where I wish people reviewed it 2 years after purchase rather than a couple weeks after, once you use it for a while you pretty much forget about ever making water for top off.  

Thanks...Just giving you guys a hard time.  Avast is always quick to respond with great products.  I think i nearly have your entire line...waiting on that frozen feeder though :)

I know I'm maybe being a little slow on the uptake but so I am sure...basically, it cuts off the output from the ro unit, which triggers the asov to turn off the ro unit?  or does it cut off the input into the ro unit? 

I know I'm maybe being a little slow on the uptake but so I am sure...basically, it cuts off the output from the ro unit, which triggers the asov to turn off the ro unit?  or does it cut off the input into the ro unit? 

It cuts off flow through the solenoid valve. Normally the water flowing through the valve would go right into the barrel. However, with a little modification to how you route your tubing, I suppose that you could cut off the flow of source water going into the RO/DI unit. 

Mine just made another 40+ gallons of DI water today. I only noticed because the light was on. I no longer even notice when I'm getting low. I feel like it would only be better if it could monitor output TDS and start shrieking when it saw something that wasn't 0 coming out so I'd know to change the filters. Oh, and then if it could change the filters for me that would be great.

I'll let you know how this Hanna Instruments Proton EC meter works for me.

http://hannainst.com/pronto-ec-meter-for-demineralized-water-with-lcd-and-alarm-hi983304.html