Synergy Reef Shadow Overflow

tom39

Has anyone seen this in person? The pricing is great but I am skeptical about the molded drains verses the former design where they used bulkhead fittings.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/16-shadow-overflow-synergy-reef.html

I've got a ghost overflow, which also has molded drains instead of bulkheads.  The molded drain fittings are much smaller than bulkheads, and this is how they make the exterior box so slim.  The molded drain fittings look very sturdy.

Big Country and Jon, are the drains standard PVC sized and glue joints or do you have to go with flexable lines and clamp it?

Has anyone seen this in person? The pricing is great but I am skeptical about the molded drains verses the former design where they used bulkhead fittings.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/16-shadow-overflow-synergy-reef.html

I saw them at MACNA.  The build quality looked really nice.  I think they will work well.

After running one of their older model inner/outer type overflows for a few months, I can say that the height of the pass-through holes from inside-to-outside would make a difference to me if I were to buy another one, i.e. how close they are to the top of the outside box.  In order for them to be "silent" as the three BeanAnimal drains in the outer box would allow those in-to-out holes need to be fully submerged under the overflow box water line.  In the one I have, this means that there is very little space in the outer box until the top of the box.  Probably less than an inch.  It's still safe, and won't overflow, but there is less margin for solving the trickle noise, and if I submerge them way down so they're totally silent then I end up with an overflow that doesn't do any surface skimming.  

Thanks everyone for the advice and comments. Since I am not seeing a downside with its use, I think that I am going to go for it. My upcomming build is a Marineland 150DD and it has the factory corner overflow which I think is ugly and detracts from the tank and I am going to remove it. The plus with this system is the full siphon drain. I have been running a bean animal full siphon on my current tank and also like the idea of doing the same on this one.

Again thanks for the advice and comments,

Tom G 

Can't say for certain, but I suspect they made the switch injection molded parts to not only cleaner and better looking piece of equipment, etc,. but also to help resolve an occasional leaking issue they had with the internal boxes on the earlier 'reef overflow' machined/solvent-welded design.

I was (very) briefly toying with the idea of trying to drill my filled 24g to install one about two months ago and noticed that one of reviewers on the 'synergy reef' overflow (vs. newer 'shadow' overflow) product page at BRS as well as one or two people on other forums say they had minor leaking with the internal box due to poorly glued seams.

Like I said, it was only one or two instances in a slew of positive reviews/feedback for what looks to be a great product. However, given that injection molding would not only make manufacturing more efficient but also eliminate the need for hand-welded seems - thus removing any possibility of them leaking, I would not be the least bit surprised if the switch to the molded parts was to improve the product even more.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that, if it were me, I would feel even more confident about the molded parts than I would the earlier solvent welded ones.

Edited by malacoda

I got a few of the new Shadow Overflows during the pre-order.  They said the old ones were very labor intensive, so I think they mostly went injection molded to get the cost associated with the labor down.

The Shadow is definitely the best add-on overflow product out there right now IMO.  I haven't installed them yet, but they look great.  3X 1.5" drains should handle a lot of flow very quietly if set up right.  Just make sure to glue in some threaded adapters so you can re-use it if your install changes.

They also include and extra removable weir with each unit.  This is a great feature... I can just replace it with the spare when flow slows and drop the other in citric acid... no more jamming screwdrivers and pipe brushes in the holes to clean off coralline.

I have a 300DD and also hate the overflows.  If doing over I would definitely consider cutting out the corner overflows and installing one of two Shadow overflows. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought the overflow. I am super excited about this decision and can't wait to see how it works out. Thank you everyone for the advice and helping me what I hope to be a excellent addition to my upcoming build.

c0d432fe9412fd463fc899bf3bf53e22.jpg

e3abcfb66c77211910f3129227e0d543.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nice. I pre-ordered two with the thought that I'd replace my Glass-holes overflows. However, given my recent surgery, probably won't get to that until at least Spring. Keep us posted on your installation experience.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
(edited)

I haven't started a build thread but I thought that I would share my progress and my thoughts on the overflow.

I removed the corner overflow, drilled the tank and my granite top, then mock set the tank. Thus far, I am really happy with my decision to go with this overflow and I am loving it's low-profile presence in the tank.

f1a7800186e301d8cd415161b7cdb1d1.jpg

e664075bb121ffdbe84d8b90303ab607.jpg

33ccbdbc787d1d18d0a9c0b958ca5d5c.jpg

f93779ed6f5e7063794c30801c95875b.jpg

7448d2ad5487a68d6a2124bc34e40bd2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by tom39

Great. I'm looking forward to what you think of it once it's up and running. Mine probably won't see water until at least summer.

• 7 months later...

I'm thinking about ordering one of these very soon. Would love updates from all of you running them.

I'm sure they are still perfect. I'd pull the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk