Surgery and Supermodels

Origami

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everybody.

if your surgery is being done at foggy bottom let me know - I can sneak in some real food and say hi. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

David, my surgery will be done at Washington Adventist, not Foggy Bottom. I'm not sure what food will taste like the first few days. This'll be a bit of an adventure for sure.

No problem Tom, I will cook for you. I am making stuffed calamari and scuengel. The perfect meal to tingle your taste buds.  :huh:

Get well soon and I will add oysters to the menu :wacko:

No problem Tom, I will cook for you. I am making stuffed calamari and scuengel. The perfect meal to tingle your taste buds.  :huh:

Get well soon and I will add oysters to the menu :wacko:

Mmmm. Sounds delicious, Paul. 

You'll be in our prayers, Tom. I knew someone who had pretty much the same surgery a few years back, he made a full recovery in a few weeks and was feeling better than he had for years. 

Speedy full recovery please.

Suprised your apex didn't warn you of the pressure differences. I mean you probably have it programmed to do that.

Sent you a pm and please let me and us know if anything is needed

Tom, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I know you probably already have a network of people lined up to help out but let me know if you need help during the recovery phase, such as snow removal or lifting anything.

good luck broski!! pro tip: get a firm pillow so you can hug/squeeze post surgery. it will help when you cough or breath in general. and get someone to build you a pillow ramp in your bed so you can sleep on a incline position for the 1st couple of weeks.

Haha @ derABT! Im sure you will be getting a cardiac apex Ph probe to monitor for respiratory acidosis and a medication dosing pump. Let me know when you need help with the tanks. prayers for you!

You'll be in our prayers, Tom. I knew someone who had pretty much the same surgery a few years back, he made a full recovery in a few weeks and was feeling better than he had for years. 

That's great news. I've been getting winded rather easily the last six months or so. At one point while operating my chipper/shredder, I was so worn out feeling that I just stopped and laid down in the lawn, heart pumping hard and fast. I had no idea what my have been going on. I just figured that I was working too hard in the sun and needed a break. 

Hope you do well, Tom.  Don't frag any palys before heading in for surgery.

Funny thing is that I went in for a nagging cough that I attributed to killing off a handful of some so-called Outlaw Palys just a few weeks before. I came away with the first diagnosis that cascaded into this situation.

Suprised your apex didn't warn you of the pressure differences. I mean you probably have it programmed to do that.

Thanks, Evan. This made me laugh. And thanks for the PM. You all are great. 

Tom, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I know you probably already have a network of people lined up to help out but let me know if you need help during the recovery phase, such as snow removal or lifting anything.

Thanks, Coral Hind. My church and family have been especially supportive. There are a lot of people there and here that have offered help. Rest assured, I have a list of numbers and won't hesitate to call if we need assistance.

good luck broski!! pro tip: get a firm pillow so you can hug/squeeze post surgery. it will help when you cough or breath in general. and get someone to build you a pillow ramp in your bed so you can sleep on a incline position for the 1st couple of weeks.

Ah, Josh. I kept thinking about you during this. I don't know how you're able to do what you do with waiting. It's been a crazy six or seven weeks for me. I'm ready to get this done. You hang tough. Someday we'll compare scars like that scene in Jaws.

Haha @ derABT! Im sure you will be getting a cardiac apex Ph probe to monitor for respiratory acidosis and a medication dosing pump. Let me know when you need help with the tanks. prayers for you!

Great! Hopefully I'll be on something a tad more reliable....

Thank you, everybody, for the kind words. Today was pre-op testing day and I was tested every way to Sunday. Family is flying in from around the country tomorrow and surgery will start early Thursday morning. After that, I'll have a little more control over my recovery. For now, I feel like I'm being pushed along by outside forces. Getting on the other side of this procedure will, in many ways, be welcome.

yeah the waiting is almost as bad as the surgery... almost... lol

One thing I have learned from my 1st open heart surgery is that you should NEVER rush anything. take you time and listen to your body!

I'm 3 months shy of 3 years with an artificial heart and just as long waiting for a heart transplant! so if I can do this, you'll handle your surgery like a rock star.

yeah the waiting is almost as bad as the surgery... almost... lol

One thing I have learned from my 1st open heart surgery is that you should NEVER rush anything. take you time and listen to your body!

I'm 3 months shy of 3 years with an artificial heart and just as long waiting for a heart transplant! so if I can do this, you'll handle your surgery like a rock star.

Good advice from somebody who's been there. Thanks!

Break a leg!

Or a sternum....

Best of wishes Tom!

Thanks, Graham. Hope to see you at the meeting in February!

Quick update. Surgery done on Thursday morning. Called complex and the doctor went back into the heart a second time to change the size of some sort of reinforcing ring. Maze procedure was performed but the heart has not been shown to work on its own. This step sometimes takes a few days. In the, runtime, I remain in the cardiac ICU with the heart being driven by an external pacemaker. Hoping the heart recovers else I'll have to have a pacemaker added.

It's been a rough few days (especially the first couple of dealing with the pain of a split breastbone regaining lung capacity) of but everyone has been awesome here).

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Wait a minute. You had it done already and you are typing? Get back to bed and forget about this.

I am sure that old heart will start ticking on it's own better than it ever did. We are all still praying for you. Thanks for the update, and get back to bed.

wow Tom, glad all is working fine.  I feel for you with the pain and all.  My wife had aortic stenosis and they had planned to put in a homograft but did not have the right size so the back up was a mechanical valve.  That was 15 years ago!

Hope you have a speedy recovery.