Seth's 225g Peninsula Full reef

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Hey Seth! How about an update! Hope all is well!

Tank crash :( lost 95% of my sps. Switching my tank to softies and gorgs. And going to get some butterflies and angels.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Tank crash :( lost 95% of my sps. Switching my tank to softies and gorgs. And going to get some butterflies and angels.

Oh no! So sorry to hear dude, you had some great stuff that was filling in.

Yikes. What happened?

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes. What happened?

Calcium reactor siezed pump. Didnt realise untill it was too late. This is the 4th mag 7 to critically fail on me.

Ouch.

Calcium reactor siezed pump. Didnt realise untill it was too late. This is the 4th mag 7 to critically fail on me.

So much for the reliability of Mag pumps, huh? My calcium reactor uses an Eheim. I've had to replace it once in 10 years. I might not have noticed it had I not found my tank pH sliding indicating that alkalinity was falling off. But I wouldn't have even noticed that had I not kept an eye on my pH plots from week to week. Sometimes it seems that you can't turn around for too long in this hobby or something will break.

Ouch.

So much for the reliability of Mag pumps, huh? My calcium reactor uses an Eheim. I've had to replace it once in 10 years. I might not have noticed it had I not found my tank pH sliding indicating that alkalinity was falling off. But I wouldn't have even noticed that had I not kept an eye on my pH plots from week to week. Sometimes it seems that you can't turn around for too long in this hobby or something will break.

yah I may pick up an ehiem pump and re plumb my Ca Rx arround it.  Also have it being driven by a computerized Cole parmer and I am going to move it back to an analog one.  But with the new direction, i should only need to do a monthly water change due to the coral choice.

You'll still need to do bi-weekly w/c.

I have found that mag pumps don't like to be externally plumbed and fail much quicker. When submerged, they last 5-10 years.

You'll still need to do bi-weekly w/c.

I have found that mag pumps don't like to be externally plumbed and fail much quicker. When submerged, they last 5-10 years.

Yah that would make sence on the mag pumps. Sumberged would help keep the heat off of them. Mine always run really hot. My ca rx temp runs about 100 degrees because of the pump.

• 5 weeks later...

Man sorry to hear, let me know if you want me to help restock some acros. Let me know if you saved any of the pieces we got at the same time. I agree with Rob too and i try to never plumb the mags on calcium reactors. Ehiem or the sicce pumps is what I like.

Man sorry to hear, let me know if you want me to help restock some acros. Let me know if you saved any of the pieces we got at the same time. I agree with Rob too and i try to never plumb the mags on calcium reactors. Ehiem or the sicce pumps is what I like.

Yah it sucks but I am moving on.  The only acros/sps that have survived are a green humulus, some ATL Strawberry fields, some spongodies, and some random monties. But I am going to be moving away from SPS because my work schedule is no longer supportive of all the care and attention they need.  So I am moving to a more less maintenance friendly stockist.  Going to move to all softies and get some of the fish I cant have with SPS and LPS.  Gonna get some angels, butterflies, Toby puffer, and maybe a parrotfish (only about 10% sure I want to try one)

BTW,  If anyone is interested, I have a bunch of zoas, a few acans/micros, and a space invader pect that needs some love for sale for awesome prices to the people that follow my build thread. PM if you are looking for some.

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful fish. You doing any chemicals in your QT, or just observing? 

Wow those wrasse are awesome! Holy smokes is that an Oregon tort? Biggest one I ever seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!! Unfortunately lost the Oregon tort in the tank crash.