Large tank skimmers

sethsolomon

So people with >200g tanks  What skimmers do you run?

I ordered a Bubble Magus D9  and with all the sales, I think I am going to return it and pick up a Deltec.  What are your guys' thoughts on the subject?

I run 2 svs2-24 lifereef skimmers one with an extra large cup. One skimmer is in my sump and the other is in a 100 gal rubbermaid filled with live rock that drains into the opposite side of my sump on . The system is 27 feet of frag tanks, 2 fuges, 2 remote DSB, 180 display and 100 gallon live rock sump. System is about 900 gallons. My skimmers run off separate mag 9 pumps and seem to work great. My fuges bypass skimming to give pods etc a chance. System is mostly coral but I do have 2 yellow tangs, 1 yellow eye tang, 1 unicorn tang, 2 rabbits, 3 clowns, 1 coral beauty, 5 damsels, 4 chromis, 1 wrasse, 1 dragonet and 1 copperband spread out over the entire system. 

Edited by dpassar12

I run 2 svs2-24 lifereef skimmers one with an extra large cup. One skimmer is in my sump and the other is in a 100 gal rubbermaid filled with live rock that drains into the opposite side of my sump on . The system is 27 feet of frag tanks, 2 fuges, 2 remote DSB, 180 display and 100 gallon live rock sump. System is about 900 gallons. My skimmers run off separate mag 9 pumps and seem to work great. My fuges bypass skimming to give pods etc a chance. System is mostly coral but I do have 2 yellow tangs, 1 yellow eye tang, 1 unicorn tang, 2 rabbits, 3 clowns, 1 coral beauty, 5 damsels, 4 chromis, 1 wrasse, 1 dragonet and 1 copperband spread out over the entire system.

That is a rad system. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

If I could do it all over I would get a Nyos 220. My RO 250SSS is great but the pump is junk.

Yah the Nyos 220 is a monster of a skimmer.  I love the clear impeller housing idea.

I run a bubble magus bm 220 in a very heavily stocked overfed 240 gallon system. Seems to work well no issues

I used to use life reef like dpasser but since switched because the chambers were to small at 6" for larger tanks imo. I did like the smaller necks and mazzei injectors.

Now I use an old euro reef 4' tall 12" wide with two of the old large ehiem needlewheels along with a 1.5" mazzei injector and reeflo. The big old ehiem pumps rock but are so expensive I don't know if I will ever replace them with the same model.

I also use a bubble king 300 I think it is at least. Only the big pump on it runs now but runs well.

I have around 70 fish and estimated 400 gallons of water. I believe a quality pump and or air injection method along with a large amount of bubble space and contact time is most important for a skimmer. Body shape I don't believe plays much of a role in large, and to a degree, smaller skimmers as well. Neck size, body size and pump specs are what is most important to me. Less watts running doesn't matter to me because the most important thing on my tanks are these skimmers.

7a2ccc89e65b9e367905caa0b8296638.jpg

7d0b1ad14201850b3e0fa4816925ceb1.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This skimmer is pretty big. The picture does not do it justice. That orange at the bottom of the picture is a 5 gallon bucket for a size reference.. I realize I'm a bit of topic but that's one thing I'm good at haha

I used to use life reef like dpasser but since switched because the chambers were to small at 6" for larger tanks imo. I did like the smaller necks and mazzei injectors.

Now I use an old euro reef 4' tall 12" wide with two of the old large ehiem needlewheels along with a 1.5" mazzei injector and reeflo. The big old ehiem pumps rock but are so expensive I don't know if I will ever replace them with the same model.

I also use a bubble king 300 I think it is at least. Only the big pump on it runs now but runs well.

I have around 70 fish and estimated 400 gallons of water. I believe a quality pump and or air injection method along with a large amount of bubble space and contact time is most important for a skimmer. Body shape I don't believe plays much of a role in large, and to a degree, smaller skimmers as well. Neck size, body size and pump specs are what is most important to me. Less watts running doesn't matter to me because the most important thing on my tanks are these skimmers.

7d0b1ad14201850b3e0fa4816925ceb1.jpg

I think my buddy out in CO has that exact same skimmer for his 1600g.  He modded his to run 2 reeflo needle wheel pumps.

• 4 weeks later...