Water Circulation Pumps- Going Vortech

Squishie89

So for my new build which is taking absolutely forever, I was originally going to use a Gyre or two, but after using two for quite some time, I have decided I don't particularly like them. So I think using ecotech vortechs on the new build is what I am going to do. It is a 90 gallon, will be mixed reef, with a sand bed. My question is, how many pumps do I need? Way back with my first display tank I had 2 korallias, which did okay, but I feel the 2 opposite corner pump idea does not circulate the water enough, almost everywhere (no such thing as everywhere unless you go above and beyond). But I have never used more than two pumps in the tank, so I also have no idea where I would place a third or fourth pump. If you guys think that using vortechs makes all the difference and I can use two, I will try to believe. I would greatly appreciate some input on this. Thanks!!

Depending on rock work and how much SPS you plan on having. You can get away with having just one. The new MP40-QD's are amazing and put out a ton of flow.

Just get one and see how you like it. You might not need a second one for a while.

Edited by epleeds

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 105 4ft tank and I thought about getting the new gyre but with Eco Tech options and no cords in the tank lead me to team vortechs. Now I plan on getting 2 MP40 QD. Mainly because when I think about buying equipment I alway factor in can and will I take this on my next tank upgrade, also because I don't wanna to run these pumps at full power or not even 50% if I can help it. I think this power consumption will further expand the life of the pump. And last with a power outage the battery back up will not effect my tank and my livestock. Just a quality product. I also have just purchase the Vectra M1 so all the pumps will be able to communicate wirelessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can get away with one, but if you are going to have finer sand, and run it at a higher power level, it will most likely cause sand storm, Personally, i would do 2 and run them at a lower power level, this way, it wont blow sand all over. 

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 105 4ft tank and I thought about getting the new gyre but with Eco Tech options and no cords in the tank lead me to team vortechs. Now I plan on getting 2 MP40 QD. Mainly because when I think about buying equipment I alway factor in can and will I take this on my next tank upgrade, also because I don't wanna to run these pumps at full power or not even 50% if I can help it. I think this power consumption will further expand the life of the pump. And last with a power outage the battery back up will not effect my tank and my livestock. Just a quality product. I also have just purchase the Vectra M1 so all the pumps will be able to communicate wirelessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just keep in mind the vectra is reeflink capatable but not WXM.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would run two mp40 across from each other or 2 mp10s across from each other with one on the back glass..

The flow from multiple vortechs working together is hands down the best flow you can get IMO... I miss it dearly haha...

Jessica, you'll probably think that it's overkill but I have 4 MP40's in my tank and one Gyre. As it happened, I upgraded a few old MP40's to QD's on the cheap and wound up with four of them. So I put one at either end of the 210 and two on the back glass. The Gyre came from MACNA and I put it in the tank only recently. For me, it adds a large scale current to the tank that the MP40's supplement. I want more control through my Apex, though, and may add the Icecap controller to the Gyre, and might consider adding a second Gyre, too. Yeah... really overkill. ;-)

You know, Copps runs an array of MP60's in his monster tank. I think that there are six of them in the tank, maybe 8. Anyway, he's got them set up so that, at any time, he's got half of run to generate a gyre in one direction with the other half coming on later to reverse the gyre.

In your situation, I'd recommend you start with two on opposite facing ends rather than just one. If you've got an Apex, it's also really nice to have the wireless control module (WXM) that you can use to control the pumps.

Defiantly the best pumps ime. I have a 3' cube and like Tom I overkill it a little but flow is important. Gyres are good at moving some water but horrible to clean and the flow is weak on the reverse mode, as well as when dirty. They are way to hard to place in a tank ime.

I use 2 mp60qd on 75% and 2 mp40qd on 100% all on reefcrest but I switch to nutrient transport sometimes to stir things up that could have settled in cracks. Vortech flow is dispersed in a wide area which I love and moves more water than you realize because it's not in a thin straight line like gyres. Only thing a gyre would be good for in my book is supplementing a big long tank for some different flow. I have had one and it's sitting on a shelf.

Defiantly the best pumps ime. I have a 3' cube and like Tom I overkill it a little but flow is important. Gyres are good at moving some water but horrible to clean and the flow is weak on the reverse mode, as well as when dirty. They are way to hard to place in a tank ime.

I use 2 mp60qd on 75% and 2 mp40qd on 100% all on reefcrest but I switch to nutrient transport sometimes to stir things up that could have settled in cracks. Vortech flow is dispersed in a wide area which I love and moves more water than you realize because it's not in a thin straight line like gyres. Only thing a gyre would be good for in my book is supplementing a big long tank for some different flow. I have had one and it's sitting on a shelf.

Just awful to clean. I don't have time to let things sit in vinegar or H2O2, so I scrub. So many little pieces and fragile pieces and pieces that can only go on one side, just really pisses me off. I rather have korallias.

hey hopefully you guys can help with a follow up question. Why would I need a ReefLink? I will be using an Apex on this tank and the pumps are the only EcoTech products I will be using so no radions that I need access to.

hey hopefully you guys can help with a follow up question. Why would I need a ReefLink? I will be using an Apex on this tank and the pumps are the only EcoTech products I will be using so no radions that I need access to.

Vectras don't connect wireless with the WXM only reeflink. Only the radions and vortech pumps will connect to WXM hopefully in the future they will.

Edited by khh27

Vectras don't connect wireless with the WXM only reeflink. Only the radions and vortech pumps will connect to WXM hopefully in the future they will.

Oh thanks for that, I am actually sticking with pong mag pumps for the return so I am good on that. From the little video BRS had about the reeflink I don't think I need it.

With my old 90 gallon I used two MP40s on the back wall.  That should be all you need, as my tank was absolutely packed with SPS colonies when it grew out. 

Try using citric acid to clean your pump parts.  It dissolves build up in a few hours vs a full day for vinegar.  And it doesn't smell. 

If you want to control the pumps with your apex you should buy one of the wxm modules that monkiboy is selling. You don't need a reeflink if you have apex.

If you want to control the pumps with your apex you should buy one of the wxm modules that monkiboy is selling. You don't need a reeflink if you have apex.

Already got it when I ordered the original controller, thanks!!