Annual reminder - Palytoxin

sethsolomon

Hey Everyone,

So was cleaning my frag rack last night in my bathtub like I always do.  Not thinking and used hot water to clean it, not realizing that there were some palys and zoas on my rack.  Needless to say I palytoxin poisoned myself.  So just a reminder, don't try to do anything to zoanthids and palys with heat or anything else that would aerosolize the toxins.

Please identify palys/zoas this happened with if you can. I think it would benefit community. In removing GSP from live rock where I was preserving other coral, I torched several palys. I did it outside with mask and gloves...but I do not believe the palys torched had toxin. They were punk rockers zoas and toxic revenge palys.

That really stinks. How are you feeling now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sore and have some trouble breathing. I should be fine in the next day or 2.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Please identify palys/zoas this happened with if you can. I think it would benefit community. In removing GSP from live rock where I was preserving other coral, I torched several palys. I did it outside with mask and gloves...but I do not believe the palys torched had toxin. They were punk rockers zoas and toxic revenge palys.

I think they were Mohawks and medussas. But I was cleaning mine inside and I have a fairly long exposure time to the steam.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

All zoa and paly have the toxin. Some just more concentrated than others. Some say the uglier the paly the more potent the toxin. Dying paly in mass quantities is when I see most people post up with problems. Always wear glove and eye protection when handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk