Basics about Dosing?

Jonathan's Reef

I've always added a cap full or two of various solutions to my water when I do a water change, but after today's WAMAS meeting and the excellent talks, I feel like I need to step up my dosing game. Joe recommended the ESV b-ionic products, so I'm going to look into the ESV salt and the 2 part b-ionic dosing components. 

I've got a 50g mixed reef tank with a skimmer and fuge in the sump. Does anyone have any recommendations for dosers, for other brands they've had success with, and more information in general on how to monitor parameters and decide what dosing is right for me?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Depends on if you have a controller that can run a dosing pump off an outlet for a minute or two every few hours.  

If you already have a controller, then the BRS dosing pumps are great.  You just plug them into one of the controller's 120V outlets and you're all set.  If you don't, then you probably would want to buy a good doser with integrated timer.  Profilux makes a great one, Bubble Magus is OK, I think even Jebao makes one.  There's another Chinese one called Kamoer that some people really like too.  Problem with the cheaper ones is that sometimes the peristaltic pump heads are not made that well and they can either start a siphon and let all of your dosing chemical into the tank or fail to seal and never pull the dosing chemical out reliably without using lots of check valves.

The BRS ones are rock solid, in my experience, so if you can time them, they work perfectly. 

I don't do ESV B-Ionic, but some people swear by it.  It's pretty convenient, but pricier than the BRS alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium addititives.

Depends on if you have a controller that can run a dosing pump off an outlet for a minute or two every few hours.  

If you already have a controller, then the BRS dosing pumps are great.  You just plug them into one of the controller's 120V outlets and you're all set.  If you don't, then you probably would want to buy a good doser with integrated timer.  Profilux makes a great one, Bubble Magus is OK, I think even Jebao makes one.  There's another Chinese one called Kamoer that some people really like too.  Problem with the cheaper ones is that sometimes the peristaltic pump heads are not made that well and they can either start a siphon and let all of your dosing chemical into the tank or fail to seal and never pull the dosing chemical out reliably without using lots of check valves.

The BRS ones are rock solid, in my experience, so if you can time them, they work perfectly. 

I don't do ESV B-Ionic, but some people swear by it.  It's pretty convenient, but pricier than the BRS alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium addititives.

Dosing is one thing that I wouldnt trust to just any company. I think using a cheaper knock off here is one of the worst things you could possibly do. On a 50g tank, my personal opinion is that you're much better off dosing by hand. The potential for disaster is just too great with the small body of water. Take a two week period and monitor what is happening in the tank; use that data to calculate what your tank actually needs and proceed from there. If this need is greater than what you're able to provide, look into automation but if at all possible, do the dirty work yourself. It literally is a matter of life and death.

Take a two week period and monitor what is happening in the tank; use that data to calculate what your tank actually needs and proceed from there. If this need is greater than what you're able to provide, look into automation but if at all possible, do the dirty work yourself. It literally is a matter of life and death.

I loved this comment ... could you expound on that?  What does this mean? Test frequently for two weeks to get a feel for water chemistry changes? Thx in advance.

Roscoe

I loved this comment ... could you expound on that?  What does this mean? Test frequently for two weeks to get a feel for water chemistry changes? Thx in advance.

Roscoe

My point was to monitor what is actually happening before you decide you "need" to take action in the form of dosing via automated means. If you disagree, express so and go on with the conversation rather than being combative.

If you don't dose at all today, then take a measurement tomorrow morning of your alkalinity. Then, in a couple of days, take another measurement at the same time of day. Compare the two numbers. If your alkalinity is declining, then it's assumed to be related to consumption. If you take another measurement in two more days, you should see about the same drop. Once you've ascertained what the rate of change is, you can supplement to raise the level of calcium and alkalinity by dosing two part. You can also occasionally test your magnesium level and dose that from time to time to replenish that as well.

That's what Madweazl was talking about when he said to monitor your tank to see what was going on before you make a decision to do something.

I wasn't being combative. I apologize if my question was misconstrued.

I thought his point was great. I was asking for more detail to what he meant for my own learning. Thx Madweazi and Tom

Roscoe

Thanks for all the input. I will give that a try and see how things are looking over the next two weeks. I don't have Ca or Mg test kits, but it sounds like the relationship of Ca to alk is such that watching just alk should do the trick in most cases.

You all make a lot of sense regarding tools. I'll try by hand now and see how things go. My next big upgrade will likely be a controller, so this'll be a good way to measure my need. Thanks again!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

You will find that you monitor alkalinity a little more than calcium once you get dialed in. However, you should still test for calcium from time to time to see that it's being maintained in a good range. When you dose two-part, you are adding calcium and alkalinity separately. If not done correctly, you can create an imbalance. There are other processes that can disrupt the balance, too, but they're more the exception rather than the rule. 

Download and print the alkalinity table in this post to see an alkalinity conversion table that includes numbers for theoretical balanced calcium levels.

I wasn't being combative. I apologize if my question was misconstrued.

I thought his point was great. I was asking for more detail to what he meant for my own learning. Thx Madweazi and Tom

Roscoe

Not sure what I had my panties in a wad about last night LOL. Sorry about that.

You will find that you monitor alkalinity a little more than calcium once you get dialed in. However, you should still test for calcium from time to time to see that it's being maintained in a good range. When you dose two-part, you are adding calcium and alkalinity separately. If not done correctly, you can create an imbalance. There are other processes that can disrupt the balance, too, but they're more the exception rather than the rule.

Download and print the alkalinity table in this post to see an alkalinity conversion table that includes numbers for theoretical balanced calcium levels.

Good points. Thanks. I'll get that Ca test kit. Appreciate the link too. I feel like I've been in the hobby so long, and it's kinda sad that I'm just seeing the value of all this. My corals and display overall could be in such a better place.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk