Is this a tank emergency??

Nelsonqd2015

Hi,

I just noticed something alarming in my glass 55 gallon FOWLR tank. The plastic rim that goes around the top of the tank slip in the middle of the front panel of the tank horizontally. The split is almost 7 inches long.

Does this means that there is to much pressure against the front glass panel? Any thoughts? Should I be worried? What should I do? Should I lower the water level?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Nelson

can you attach a picture?

Is the frame doing anything else other than the split in the center?

Do you have a square to check for square of all 4 corners and to give us an idea if the front or back panel have any deflection.

Also, I would possibly lower the water level an inch or 3. But you may also be able to support the current center brace without an issue.

I don't know if it's an ermergency but As Kim said remove some water.

Let's make a brace. I'm usually good at emergency makeshift stuff.

If you have extra pieces of thick glass laying around and some silicone. You can place the glass flat and attach it across as a brace. It's ugly but it'll hold you off til you get a more permanent fix.

If you don't have these items.

I can't think of the name of them. Those grip things that look like scissors. But hold stuff.

One on the front one on the back. Put cardboard not to scratch or crack your tank. Thick wire. Maybe a wire hanger or two. Or picture hanging metal wire. Wrapped tightly around them. To act as a temporary brace. This will not last forever but at least you'll get to sleep tonight and deal with it tomorrow.

I'm sure theirs flaws in my makeshift braces but like I said it'll offer some kinda relief temporarily. If not the tank but your peace of mind.

Edited by Joshifer

If the gap is opening up, that's a real problem.  You might consider going to buy a new 55g tank.  If it's not a reef-ready one you can get them for 55 bucks during the $1/gal sales that happen at both petco and petsmart.  

It's also possible to use threaded rod and make a brace on the top or even use a clamp to give it some strength temporarily until you are able to buy a new tank.

You can have a piece of glass cut the width of the tank by about 4" wide (the width the tank should be, not necessarily the width it is right now if that gap has opened) and install it as a center brace (euro-brace style). Use a couple of quick clamps from the local hardware store to keep it in place until the silicon dries. Or, use it as a good excuse to upsize...

Hi all,

Thank you all for your advised. The tank was fine overnight. I lowered the water level. I will go to House of Tropical today to see what they say. I think I might have to get a new tank.

I attached a picture of the gap that opened up.

Please let me know what you thing.

Thanks a lot,

Nelson

post-2635949-0-83702900-1476367000_thumb.jpg

Yikes.  That doesn't look great to me.  If it was me I'd be thinking about using this as a good excuse for a tank upgrade. 8)  40 breeder is a nice aspect ratio, but requires a whole new stand and hood if you use those.  

Replacing the top frame might be an option for you if your seals are not compromised. Assuming you can find the right one for your tank. Glass cages sells one for a 55 gal for $15. It's near the bottom of this list. I don't know how far down you'd have to drain it to make it safe enough to fully remove the old frame without the sides just blowing out. I guess I would make a 2 x 4 frame around it or something to hold it together.

I have never tried this with an occupied tank, so I don't know how it will go. I did it with an empty 40 gal breeder once (took it apart and re-sealed it)

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=43

It's hard for me to make sense of the picture. I see the split. It's horizontal and there appears to be some lifting force that's caused it to open up vertically. But is the cross brace severely bent (or buckled) in the middle (toward the top of the picture)? 

Replacing the frame is a possibility. Doing it while the tank is full could be risky. If this is just a standard 55, I'd look into replacing the whole thing and, if you wanted, you could explore replacing the frame and then reselling the repaired tank.

If it's just a 55 gallon if it was me I would just buy a new 55 gallon tank or if you have the space and budget I would upgrade.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies. I decided to upgrade to a 75 gallon tank. I have to wait to get the stand shipped to me and I will get a tank at House of Tropicals. I went to see the tanks and they were $132.99 for a 75 gallon 48.5 x 18.5 x 21.5. Is that a good price? Any suggestions on where to get a 75 gallon tank?

Thanks,

Nelson

That's a heck of a good price.  I assume that's not reef ready?  For a 75 I'd recommend either planning to drill it or buying reef ready.  If you're near HoT that isn't a bad place.  Most local fish stores will have to order anything larger than a 55 for you because they take up too much room to keep them in stock.

If your 55 is currently using Hang-on-back filters that would mean you'd also need a sump, for which I'd recommend a 20 long to go with your 75 gallon main tank.  Then a piece or two of 1/4" acrylic from Lowes and some silicone and a return pump and you're in business. 8)  Oh, plus a skimmer.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The 55 gallon tank I am having trouble with is a FOWLR tank. So I will get a simple one. My reef tank is a 65 gallon tank. Today after work I will go check at Today's Pets in Columbia, MD to see if the have tanks and stands and compare prices.

Thanks,

Nelson

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I make the change of fish tank yesterday. I upgraded to a 75 gallon tank. All the fish are doing well and did not lose any in the move.

Thanks everyone for your advised.

Nelson