RO/DI unit Typhoon III making knocking noises fluctuating TDS

Jan

I need some guidance on how to trouble shoot what's been happening with my Typhoon III. I've replaced all filtration including membrane. My TDS is jumping all over the place. It goes up to 49 and down to 5. DI resin has been replaced. It also makes a very loud knocking noise. The unit has been working fine up until a month ago. It is hooked up to my sump through a float valve. Purchased new in 2009. Someone mentioned I may need to replace a connector. I've already spoken with AWI but want your input on this. Thank you.

Edited by Jan

Have you tried calling AWI and asking? They're pretty good about answering questions.

It the TDS high randomly, or just at the start and then falling off and settling after a couple of minutes? If only at the start, that's probably just the normal TDS burst that one gets at the start of a production cycle if the membrane is not flushed immediately beforehand. If it's random, then I'd check to see if the membrane is properly seated in the membrane housing. If it's not, unfiltered water can blow by the o-ring and enter the pure water stream to cause TDS to jump.

The knocking sounds sounds like you might have air trapped in the membrane housing. Try tilting the membrane to see if you can flush the air out. 

I'm guessing that, if this all helps, you probably introduced this (membrane seating problem and air in the membrane housing) when you swapped out the membrane.

Hi Tom,
I sent you a PM about the discussion with AWI. the TDS fluctuates at random as a matter of fact when I go to flush the unit it starts to rise. We replaced the membrane and still. I'll double check everything you've mentioned. when I turn on a faucet the knocking and vibration sounds stop and come back again. If you come up with anything else, please let me know. Thank you.

Have you tried calling AWI and asking? They're pretty good about answering questions.

It the TDS high randomly, or just at the start and then falling off and settling after a couple of minutes? If only at the start, that's probably just the normal TDS burst that one gets at the start of a production cycle if the membrane is not flushed immediately beforehand. If it's random, then I'd check to see if the membrane is properly seated in the membrane housing. If it's not, unfiltered water can blow by the o-ring and enter the pure water stream to cause TDS to jump.

The knocking sounds sounds like you might have air trapped in the membrane housing. Try tilting the membrane to see if you can flush the air out. 

I'm guessing that, if this all helps, you probably introduced this (membrane seating problem and air in the membrane housing) when you swapped out the membrane.

Edited by Jan

The knocking sounds like air may be causing the ASOV to open and close abruptly. 

See Russ' post in this thread on RC from a while ago.

Also, did you run the unit for a while after changing out the membrane to make sure that it was fully saturated and to flush the preservative that's in most new membranes?  

Finally, make sure that the membrane is installed in the right direction (o-ring goes in first) and fully seated. Then make sure that all the air is out of the housing by flushing the housing for a few minutes. Sometimes you have to lightly lubricate the o-ring end to get it to seat completely. Here's a video:

I would guess the asov is broke as well. See if the sound is coming from the asov. I like to use an auto flush kit and pressure shutoff on my filter systems, they really save some resin and membrane life.