Does anyone with a larger tank go skimmer less?

treesprite

I'm back to thinking about setting up my 120. I am thinking about not using my skimmer on it, mainly because I want a shorter stand, but also because of the space in the sump. I used to have a 16g office nano that had perfect water without any skimmer and almost no water changes, just a ton of macros and a dsb.

You should be good if you don't over stock it or over feed. Not sure about space but look into an algae turf scrubber instead they will export a lot and heard people not needing skimmer as much.

You should be good if you don't over stock it or over feed. Not sure about space but look into an algae turf scrubber instead they will export a lot and heard people not needing skimmer as much.

I have been planning to do that for a while, with the 16 high tank I'm currently using as a temporary tank. It's tall and narrow, so I could put lights on both sides and not worry about splash or spray.

I also may make a macros display with some fancy macros.

I think the need for a skimmer has more to do with bio load than water volume, but of course a larger volume allows for a larger bioload.

Keep the bioload low and the water changes frequent and I'll bet you'll be fine. Until you add too much stuff. 

I have a 220g with around 30 fish sps and lps. I do a 50g water change every two weeks. I haven't seen any difference since going without a skimmer.

I have a 220g with around 30 fish sps and lps. I do a 50g water change every two weeks. I haven't seen any difference since going without a skimmer.

Do you run an ATS or refugium? My last two setups were done without a skimmer but they were both small (26 and 50 gallons) so I could do a large water change if need be.

Do you run an ATS or refugium? My last two setups were done without a skimmer but they were both small (26 and 50 gallons) so I could do a large water change if need be.

I don't use either.  I tried a refugium a few times with different types of macroalgae but they all just dissolved after a while.  I only have some rubble rock in the sump where the water first comes in and a return pump for a sump setup.