How????

Joshifer

You can also glue rock rubble together using reef-safe epoxy or another binder to create more complex structures (like the arch in your picture).

Another method to defy gravity is to drill holes through the rocks and put a Plexiglas rod through the holes, like a rock shish-kabab.

Edited by Rob A

Another method to defy gravity is to drill holes through the rocks and put a Plexiglas rod through the holes, like a rock shish-kabab.

This is what I did to build the structures in my old tank. Pretty easy to do. Just need to make sure to get a good bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

What's a good reef safe epoxy to use for glueing the rocks together

Lots of people, including me, use Water Weld. I have never had a problem with it, and it works well enough that I have accidentally broken rocks trying to chisel it off. It's also good for plastering over things you want dead.

I have only ever used this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Ocean-HoldFast-Aquarium-HF-1/dp/B001JSXBYO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476986274&sr=8-2&keywords=reef+epoxy

I have only ever used it to glue frag plugs to rocks or in some cases the frag itself to a rock or plug. It's not particularly sticky but once it gets hard it is okay.

Now I need to try this water weld stuff!

Water Weld is a plumbing epoxy that we hobbyists used when there weren't many other options out there. We also used Aqua Mend. Both seemed to be OK for aquarium use. Since then, other products (probably rebranded) have been released specifically by providers serving the hobby. At least one product is colored kind of coralline pink. 

Water Weld is a plumbing epoxy that we hobbyists used when there weren't many other options out there. We also used Aqua Mend. Both seemed to be OK for aquarium use. Since then, other products (probably rebranded) have been released specifically by providers serving the hobby. At least one product is colored kind of coralline pink.

I tried that hobby marketed stuff and it just did not work well enough to hold together larger pieces of of rock. I think it is fine for holding corals in place, but not to build large, permanent rock structures. I wish Aquamend was still available though, because I think it was better than Water Weld.

Edited by treesprite

I've always been curious to know how we could use hydraulic cement to bond rocks together on the cheap. I've never looked further into it, though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk