Laser for Aiptasias

Scubaguy

Just wondering if anyone has ever used a Laser for zapping them out of the tank. 

I was browsing the forums and saw a couple of videos. Just curious. 

Richie

I have a high powered laser. While it will zap Aiptasia, you have to be line-of-sight with them and anything that they may retract back into in order to really get them. They are also dangerous as they can cause retinal damage (blind you) in under a millisecond. I treat mine as a gun so it's kept away from kids and inquisitive eyes. I also keep the batteries out of it unless I need it. Biological control (which seeks and destroys, even in the places you can't see), in my opinion is a much better option or, if you can see them and get at them any number of other products will work including:

kalk paste (e.g. Joe's Juice, Aiptasia X)

lemon juice or vinegar (inject them with a hypodermic needle)

Majano Wand (electric current)

I have a high powered laser. While it will zap Aiptasia, you have to be line-of-sight with them and anything that they may retract back into in order to really get them. They are also dangerous as they can cause retinal damage (blind you) in under a millisecond. I treat mine as a gun so it's kept away from kids and inquisitive eyes. I also keep the batteries out of it unless I need it. Biological control (which seeks and destroys, even in the places you can't see), in my opinion is a much better option or, if you can see them and get at them any number of other products will work including:

Whats size is yours? 1000nw?

I've tried Joes juice and aiptasia X and with both products they seem to go away for a week or so then come back. I even tried a copperband which ate them all then started eating lrs frozen food and now won't touch aiptasia anymore and they grow back once they stop eating them. I also have a Niger trigger so peppermint shrimp are out. I have heard stories of if you don't get whole thing with laser they will just spread.

If you use lemon juice or vinegar, you may need a second application. With Joe's Juice, Aiptasia X or Kalk paste, leave the pumps off and let the stuff sit for 10 or 15 minutes and you'll get better results. However, all of these only work to the extent that you or the means of control can get to them. If you've got them in your overflow, for example, even most biological controls won't eradicate them. In those situations, it may become more of a struggle to control than to eradicate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I went almost exclusively with dry to avoid them; picked up two pieces of live rock that I inspected best I could and still ended up with one. Thankfully, it is only one and I'm afraid to mess with. I've never had them get out of control in the past but I've never actually killed one either (Aiptasia X). This guy is about an inch long now, gonna have to try something before too long.

I went almost exclusively with dry to avoid them; picked up two pieces of live rock that I inspected best I could and still ended up with one. Thankfully, it is only one and I'm afraid to mess with. I've never had them get out of control in the past but I've never actually killed one either (Aiptasia X). This guy is about an inch long now, gonna have to try something before too long.

Nuke it now or it will spread. If you can, take the rock out and target it.

They can come in hidden in things as small as a pit on a frag plug or even on a bit of dead coral skeleton. People need to be aware of that so they can keep watch.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Nuke it now or it will spread. If you can, take the rock out and target it.

They can come in hidden in things as small as a pit on a frag plug or even on a bit of dead coral skeleton. People need to be aware of that so they can keep watch.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Rock isnt coming out and it's in a spot that isnt easily accessible. Like stated, I've never had success eradicating them in the past; AiptasiaX never got rid of them. This time I'll be trying biological means but based on my prior experience, not messing with them is usually the best method to prevent spreading. 

Rock isnt coming out and it's in a spot that isnt easily accessible. Like stated, I've never had success eradicating them in the past; AiptasiaX never got rid of them. This time I'll be trying biological means but based on my prior experience, not messing with them is usually the best method to prevent spreading. 

OK. The lifecycle of Aiptasia, however, includes both sexual and asexual means of reproduction. They do and will spread if growing. I agree that biological control can keep them at bay wherever the means of control can get at them.