largest protected place on the planet

I am never a fan of the federal government doing anything honestly.  Hawaii has zone a pretty outstanding job on its own.

Wow. That's a substantial area. Much needed, it sounds like, reading Rich Pyle's quote. I wonder how these things work. I mean, we're unilaterally declaring a preserve well into what we deem to be international waters (that beyond 12 miles) and even beyond the exclusive economic zone limit of 200 miles. Or is the map showing a 200 mile boundary? Hard to tell.

We could always do what the Japanese do.  Find one rock above sea level and build a concrete mountain around it so we can claim more sea ownership.  Why stop there, just hook a buoy to the point closest to the surface, and claim ownership.

We could always do what the Japanese do.  Find one rock above sea level and build a concrete mountain around it so we can claim more sea ownership.  Why stop there, just hook a buoy to the point closest to the surface, and claim ownership.

Sure. Artificial island-building to expand territory. China's been doing for a while now, too. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em? Just another source of international headache.