Water test. Please help.

Joshifer

The light is driving me crazy. Just took these tests.

Ammonia in natural light.

image_zpsedotkjjv.jpeg

Ammonia in my kitchen light.

image_zpsxvhkqrbc.jpeg

Nitrates in my kitchen light.

image_zpsa3hwt5f4.jpeg

Nitrites are 0 it's blue. But last night I got a 1PPM spike and now it's 0.

Am I done cycling?

6.5lb live cured rock from established system.

10lbs live sand.

Dumped 100ML biospira in there.

Test looks like 0 ppm ammonia to me.

While cycling a tank, you should be worried about ammonia and nitrites (not nitrates).

You need to add a source of ammonia to see if the cycle is complete. For example, add 1-2ppm of ammonia and see if your tests read 0 ppm for ammonia and nitrites in about 24 hours. Lots of sources of ammonia you can add. I like to add pure ammonia as I can control the amount I add for cycling. 

While cycling a tank, you should be worried about ammonia and nitrites (not nitrates).

You need to add a source of ammonia to see if the cycle is complete. For example, add 1-2ppm of ammonia and see if your tests read 0 ppm for ammonia and nitrites in about 24 hours. Lots of sources of ammonia you can add. I like to add pure ammonia as I can control the amount I add for cycling.

I can't find clear ammonia anywhere. I was told shake the bottle and see if it suds. Everything has bubbles so far. :/

If I do find it how many ML do I add to 6gal? To get it to 1 or 2 ppm

Yea I ordered mine from dr tims aquatics. Some people on this forum just pee in their tank. Never tried it but hey worth a try.

I wouldn't do that. And even if I would I'm on so many medications I'd poison the water lol

BTW, 1 drop in 1 gallon is about 11 ppm. Most household ammonia, though is 5-10% concentration. That means that you'll use 1 or 2 drops per gallon to get 1 ppm (1 if it's 10% strength or 2 drops if it's 5% strength).

Your ammonia looks like it's zero. Nitrates are between 5 and 10 ppm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

(edited)

BTW, 1 drop in 1 gallon is about 11 ppm. Most household ammonia, though is 5-10% concentration. That means that you'll use 1 or 2 drops per gallon to get 1 ppm (1 if it's 10% strength or 2 drops if it's 5% strength).

Your ammonia looks like it's zero. Nitrates are between 5 and 10 ppm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk[/quote

Thanks tom was just at lowes. No Clear ammonia or egg crete. Their clear ammonia has surfecant in it. Gonna try Walmart and if they got it I'm gonna dose 1PPM and see how it looks in the morning.

Edited by Joshifer

I had a hard time finding egg crate at Lowes.  I ended up finding it in the work lighting / ceiling tile section.  They called it a light diffuser panel.  Hope that helps.

The ammonia at the dollar tree does not have surfactants. I think they all carry the same brands, but double check it to be sure. Also, ACE Hardware ammonia is safe.

Edited by SandJ

So, using an eyedropper, put in 8 drops of ammonia. That should get you somewhere in the 1 - 2 ppm range. Stir it up and run a test. Note the result and adjust accordingly.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

No ammonia anywhere. And I couldn't find eggcrate so. I bought plastic canvas sheets. For Needlepoint. Cut them 6x6 stacked them about an inch high and secured them with zip ties. Made my own egg Crete lol.

Or is that gonna be a det/trate trap?

Anyway I'm gonna do a 50% water change tomorrow if everything is still stable and add a couple micro hermits see how they do. I'm making saltwater now as we speak. (PH And heater in bucket of Distilled (added dechlor to be safe) and IO salt mix.

Idea. I have frozen Brine cubes. What if I put the cube in a fine net. And let them juices from the cube in the water as an ammonia source. I don't wanna put brine shrimp it'll get everywhere and lead to later problems.

But the juice it's packed in. Would that cause ammonia?

It would eventually decay and create ammonia. However, you won't know exactly how much it'll create. Just find a Dollar Tree near you, and get some ammonia there tomorrow. You'll have better control.

Just a suggestion, I had the hardest time reading the API kits (even when my wife gave them glance as well).  I have the Hanna Checkers (digital readout) and the Red Sea Test Kit (standard color readout) and have had much better results, at least results I could interpret.  Might be worthwhile to take a look at as I can totally relate to having a hard time distinguishing between shades of yellow and/or orange to read this test  ;)

I have the Hanna Checkers for Calcium/Alkalinity and the Red Sea for Ammonia/Trites/Trates. The Red Sea Marine Kit also does pH and Alkalinity however I've used those as spot checks (for the Apex and Hanna respectively) rather than actual readings - both have been within range FYI.

Edited by joro

Just a suggestion, I had the hardest time reading the API kits (even when my wife gave them glance as well). I have the Hanna Checkers (digital readout) and the Red Sea Test Kit (standard color readout) and have had much better results, at least results I could interpret. Might be worthwhile to take a look at as I can totally relate to having a hard time distinguishing between shades of yellow and/or orange to read this test ;)

I have the Hanna Checkers for Calcium/Alkalinity and the Red Sea for Ammonia/Trites/Trates. The Red Sea Marine Kit also does pH and Alkalinity however I've used those as spot checks (for the Apex and Hanna respectively) rather than actual readings - both have been within range FYI.

Lol I asked my wife. My kids. My sisters. Everyone had a different answer. I'm going to take some to the LFS tomorrow and have them check it with their better kits.

It would eventually decay and create ammonia. However, you won't know exactly how much it'll create. Just find a Dollar Tree near you, and get some ammonia there tomorrow. You'll have better control.

Okay thanks.

Read the label. It should be 100 percent ammonia, no color or fragrance. It's clear but often comes in a translucent bottle. It's as basic as it comes.

Read the label. It should be 100 percent ammonia, no color or fragrance. It's clear but often comes in a translucent bottle. It's as basic as it comes.

Was just at the dollar tree. The only ammonia they had listed a million different chemicals In it. So I've been to Walmart giant lowes Home Depot harbor freight No pure ammonia anywhere. :/

Was just at the dollar tree. The only ammonia they had listed a million different chemicals In it. So I've been to Walmart giant lowes Home Depot harbor freight No pure ammonia anywhere. :/

Really? The cheap stuff used to be everywhere. How about the grocery store? Maybe it's too cheap to keep on the shelves any longer. 

Dollar tree in Sterling has this on the bottom shelf.

c5a3e981030610712ea3033be241105c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk