Fluval edge 6

Joshifer

So my aunt heard I was feeling blue. And she purchased a fluval edge 6 gallon. Few questions.

Yes I'm aware pico tanks are a lot of work. But I got you guys here to help. Hehe.

I know a clown needs minimum 10 gallons. So maybe a itty bitty Tiny one. Then when it gets big I'll donate it to someone (I'll probably upgrade long before that time comes lol)

Anyway. Once it's cycled and established. I want to keep GSP and pulsing Xenia. Anyone know of of lighting mods? Or a light that will fit in the top lid. I saw on YouTube people laying big ones over the top glass but that really takes away from the sleek look of it.

And it's 1lb of Rock per gallon. Does the same apply to such a small system? Thanks.

Edited by Joshifer

Update. Just ordered Natures Ocean Natures Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand - Natural White #1 20 Pounds - (Grain Size 0.5-1.7 mm)

How many lbs do you think I'd need to use? Obviously 20 is wayyyy too much.

Hey man. There's a thread in the nano forum titled "fluval edge 12g" that has some info and pics of my old 12 gallon edge. It's actually not that difficult to keep parameters where they need to be with the edge, since there isn't all that much evaporation due to the design. You just top off with rodi or treated water every 2-3 days and do a 1-2 gallon water change every week or two. I cut the a bit of plastic out of the top black cover and added a Wave-point 12-Inch 16-Watt Super Blue and DaylightMicro Sun LED from amazon (about $70) that, along with the stock light under the hood, was more than enough for lps and softies. You'll want 5-6 lbs of live rock - that and the filter floss will be enough biological filtration for a few smaller fish. As for a clown, a 6 gallon edge is decent enough for a small clownfish or pair. It's not ideal, but they tend to hover in a single area of any tank. A small clown goby would also work, or a small goby/pistol shrimp combo. 

You should contact Jwalsh.  He has one of the most beautiful PICO tanks I've ever seen.  It's an art form!

Way too kind, Tricia. 

Hi Joshifer. (Great name, by the way.)  Check out my five gallon startup thread:  http://wamas.org/forums/topic/67479-fluval-spec-v-five-gallon/ It's still going, though hard to believe it's been a year and a half since I've posted and update. I'll tackle that later, but what's there might be helpful. Nano-reef.com is a great community to check out for us smaller tank folks and I a more thorough startup thread there too: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/347648-steaming-pile-of-spec-fluval-spec-v-build-thread/

For your 6 gallon, rtelles is right that a pair of clowns is doable, but not the best. I tried some in my five gallon and because they're so active, they metabolize thus poop above their weight class. Pistol/goby combo plus a smaller blenny and a skunk or blood shrimp for movement could be nice. GSP and xenia is perfect, acans and other mellow LPS can be good additions too. For lighting, search Nano-reef for how people have successfully modded the Edge.

The main advice is take it slow. Everyone says that, but I've been doing nanos since 2002 and can promise that you will never regret letting your parameters figure themselves out after a few months before do substantial stocking. That small of a volume of water means it doesn't take much for the dominos to fall. That said, get some familiarity with how your tank reacts (test, test, test), let the bacteria do its thing, and nanos can be a much simpler and smaller headache than the bigger cousins. 

My first tank was a 10G. Then a 30. Then a 65. Then I had to move across country. And sell everything. I agree the smaller ones need to be checked more. But their less a hassle then the bigger ones. This one I plan on letting it cycle fish less for a 3 weeks a month with LS and LR. I'm in no rush. And the Rock is coming from kims established tank sump so no worries there. Trust her completely. But how many lbs of LR do you think? I was thinking 5-8 lbs. and 10lbs of LS.

(edited)

Also I'm going with the clowns because this is going to be my xmas present. Hehe. The innovative martine lagoon 25 love it so much. I wanted to start with this one but my aunt purchased me the edge as a gift. And she's really excited about it don't wanna hurt her feelings by swapping it out. I plan on giving her the edge minus the clowns once I get the lagoon.

http://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/images-large/Fusion-Lagoon-25-01-Angled.jpg

Edited by Joshifer

My first tank was a 10G. Then a 30. Then a 65. Then I had to move across country. And sell everything. I agree the smaller ones need to be checked more. But their less a hassle then the bigger ones. This one I plan on letting it cycle fish less for a 3 weeks a month with LS and LR. I'm in no rush. And the Rock is coming from kims established tank sump so no worries there. Trust her completely. But how many lbs of LR do you think? I was thinking 5-8 lbs. and 10lbs of LS.

Nice. A 1.5-2 inch sandbed can do most of of the bio work IMO, so prioritize your rock around how you want to aquascape. 

Also I'm going with the clowns because this is going to be my xmas present. Hehe. The innovative martine lagoon 25 love it so much. I wanted to start with this one but my aunt purchased me the edge as a gift. And she's really excited about it don't wanna hurt her feelings by swapping it out. I plan on giving her the edge minus the clowns once I get the lagoon.

http://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/images-large/Fusion-Lagoon-25-01-Angled.jpg

I love that lagoon tank. Yes, juvenile clowns would be just fine for a year or so. 

Hey man. There's a thread in the nano forum titled "fluval edge 12g" that has some info and pics of my old 12 gallon edge. It's actually not that difficult to keep parameters where they need to be with the edge, since there isn't all that much evaporation due to the design. You just top off with rodi or treated water every 2-3 days and do a 1-2 gallon water change every week or two. I cut the a bit of plastic out of the top black cover and added a Wave-point 12-Inch 16-Watt Super Blue and DaylightMicro Sun LED from amazon (about $70) that, along with the stock light under the hood, was more than enough for lps and softies. You'll want 5-6 lbs of live rock - that and the filter floss will be enough biological filtration for a few smaller fish. As for a clown, a 6 gallon edge is decent enough for a small clownfish or pair. It's not ideal, but they tend to hover in a single area of any tank. A small clown goby would also work, or a small goby/pistol shrimp combo.

Hey sorry didn't notice your post. I'm going to look at that light right now