Removing anemone

Stanley11

Sure this is posted already but I can't find it. Does anyone have any tricks for getting bubble tips off of rocks. Tried getting under foot with fingers but is hard on rough rocks. Tried ice cube but it melts before any affect. (Maybe need bigger ice cubes). Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.post-2635240-147110405049_thumb.jpg

When doing the ice trick, you have to make sure that you're touching the foot of the anemone, or else it will just retract. Try pointing a powerhead at the base. Most anemones will move if the flow is too high for them (not too high, though, or you'll risk stressing the anemone to death). You can also try taking the rock out and hanging the anemones upside-down over a bucket of tank water. Sometimes anemones are just stubborn, though. If it really won't let go, you can try breaking the rock around it, but in the end you might be unable to remove it without damaging it. Definitely don't pick at it unless it's very loosely attached, or you risk really injuring it.

Those are all the tricks I know, best of luck!

-Ollie

Edited by Reef eScape

I took a pice of PVC about 5 inches long and drilled a hole in it big enough to fit over the retracted BTA. The next day I picked up the PVC to see if the BT was ok and he had moved onto the PVC.

It is always tricky, and depends on how long the anemone is attached to the rock.

One way I tried was using an old creditcard and try to slowly slide the card under the foot of anemone, (Try not to be too hard to damage its foot),

if the anemone is giving up its feet on the rock when I push the card it means it is ready to move, if its still not moving its feet I don't suggest trying to use any extra force.

The most daunting experience while trying to remove anemone is the clownfish trying to fight your hand and bump it hard.

good luck moving your anemone.

I have had 100% success with the following:

Take the Rock out and place it on a towel. Have a flathead screw driver and a hammer ready. Chip around the foot and it will already be attached to the rubble you created OR you should be able to carefully pull the foot off. RBTAs are super hearty, it's my go to method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done this several times with success. I pointed a small powerhead or turkey baster at the anemone's foot to get him to loosen up.  Sometimes I also used a soft plastic (new) bondo spreader to coax the edge of the foot up.  Once I got a little bit under him, the rest came easy with additional stroking.